Hex bits for a power driver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JShipman5

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
I want to pick up a small power driver to use for maintenance on my Granite 4x4. What kind of hex bits does everyone use with your power drivers and where can I find them? I want something good that won't strip easily. I currently need a 1.5mm, 2mm, and a 2.5mm. small metric hex bits seem hard to find in a hardware store.

I want to pick up a small power driver to use for maintenance on my Granite 4x4. What kind of hex bits does everyone use with your power drivers and where can I find them? I want something good that won't strip easily. I currently need a 1.5mm, 2mm, and a 2.5mm. small metric hex bits seem hard to find in a hardware store.
I have these MIP bits and I love them. Just be careful and aware of how much torque you are putting them in with as plastic can strip easily.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/mip-sp...VvRd56BBSAMvY4ZQjluf4S-UN9WoEEfoaAtC5EALw_wcB

I bought some cheap hand drivers from Hobbyking, and they were pretty good. I wanted driver bits, so I bought their driver bits, and they were pure crap... LOL Now I have started buying MIP bits, one at a time, adding to other orders. They are GREAT!

EDS is another tool brand I hear is pretty high quality, and not quite as high dollar as MIP.
http://www.team-eds.com/category-s/1860.htm

I am planning on buying their replacement tips for my driver handles - I like the Hex handles on my Turnigy tools vs. the more common round handle, but after 2 years, my cheap allen drivers are wearing out.
http://www.team-eds.com/category-s/1864.htm

I bought some cheap hand drivers from Hobbyking, and they were pretty good. I wanted driver bits, so I bought their driver bits, and they were pure crap... LOL Now I have started buying MIP bits, one at a time, adding to other orders. They are GREAT!

EDS is another tool brand I hear is pretty high quality, and not quite as high dollar as MIP.
http://www.team-eds.com/category-s/1860.htm

I am planning on buying their replacement tips for my driver handles - I like the Hex handles on my Turnigy tools vs. the more common round handle, but after 2 years, my cheap allen drivers are wearing out.
http://www.team-eds.com/category-s/1864.htm
I have EDS hand tools (1.5-5.0 mm), MIP power drivers (1.5, 2.0, 2.5 & 3.0 mm) and PB Swiss power drivers for the larger sizes. I really like the EDS and MIP tools and they each have their advantages. I haven't used the PB Swiss that much, so I can't really comment on those fully. I have used the MIP hand drivers before too. From what I have read the EDS uses spring steel and MIP uses hardened tool steel, which makes sense with what I felt using them. With the hand drivers I could feel that EDS had more flex to them. For the hand drivers I wanted the flex since I have a tendency to over tighten and strip out screws and figured that would take some of the torque away and also I prefer metal, spinning cap handles and wanted a matching set for 1.5-5.0 mm, which MIP doesn't have. The MIP was firmer and, to me, gave a more clear feeling of the torque being applied. Like I said, both amazing tools, just more depends on what feeling you are after in my opinion.

If you are just looking for metric hex wrench replacement tips (for hand tools), Arrowmax looks like another good option (high quality tools that don't strip your screws can be very valuable). These tips are "TUNGSTEN STEEL" + ti-nitride coated for even more durability. I have not tried these, but they do look extremely durable.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrowm...t-hex-wrench-tip-2.5x120mm-amx-413125/p695951

The Revolution Design Racing Products replacement hex tips also look good quality. High Grade Spring Steel from Germany with Ti-Nitride finish for more durability:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/revolution-design-wrench-tip-2.0mm-rdrp0088/p231408

WARNING: If using a power drill/driver on your RC, please only use to remove screws, or to only tighten screws approx 3/4 of the way. DO NOT FULLY TIGHTEN RC SCREWS using a power tool, no matter what low clutch setting you may have, especially if screw fastens into any composite material.

I also have MIP's now and they have been the longest lasting ones I've tried.

I tried cheap ones from like harbor freight, also OFNA, hudy and dynamite. None of which hold a candle to the durability of the MIP's. The MIP ones just hold their edges for so much longer, like years longer than the others I tried. Some of the others didn't last a season, hudy's and harbor freight. The OFNA's didn't hold up long either.

First, I tried the cheap lithium hand screw drivers, but they didn't hold up long, then I got a dewalt 9.6V NiCAD which held up mechanically for many years, but the batteries were prone to memory issues. Then I got a milwaukee M12 Lithium that has the clutch. It's very nice and has lasted me at least 3-4 years now and is still going strong. Mine came with a charger and 2 M12 stick packs, the new one looks a bit different, but I think it's the same with a belt clip. Mine doesn't have that.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/2401-20

The clutch is very handy. If you set it at 1 or 2, odds are, you won't strip anything out in plastic with 3mm or larger screws.

I also have MIP's now and they have been the longest lasting ones I've tried.

I tried cheap ones from like harbor freight, also OFNA, hudy and dynamite. None of which hold a candle to the durability of the MIP's. The MIP ones just hold their edges for so much longer, like years longer than the others I tried. Some of the others didn't last a season, hudy's and harbor freight. The OFNA's didn't hold up long either.

First, I tried the cheap lithium hand screw drivers, but they didn't hold up long, then I got a dewalt 9.6V NiCAD which held up mechanically for many years, but the batteries were prone to memory issues. Then I got a milwaukee M12 Lithium that has the clutch. It's very nice and has lasted me at least 3-4 years now and is still going strong. Mine came with a charger and 2 M12 stick packs, the new one looks a bit different, but I think it's the same with a belt clip. Mine doesn't have that.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/2401-20

The clutch is very handy. If you set it at 1 or 2, odds are, you won't strip anything out in plastic with 3mm or larger screws.
Milwaukee definitely makes some nice power tools for sure, but anyone using power tools on RC's, should still be "very careful" if thinking of tightening RC screws, especially into plastic.

Another vote for the M12 as a power driver. I got one of the 4x batteries so it will stand up on the workbench. Plus it lasts almost forever. The M12 is small enough for light work, but enough power for 95% of the around the house work. The clutch is great - in the few years I have had it, the clutch has never seized like my old Mikita would sometimes. Setting the clutch on 1 sometimes will make it release before the screw is all the way down. Still I will do the final torque by hand, though. So you still need a good set of driver bits, and a good set of hand drivers.

Another vote for the M12 as a power driver. I got one of the 4x batteries so it will stand up on the workbench. Plus it lasts almost forever. The M12 is small enough for light work, but enough power for 95% of the around the house work. The clutch is great - in the few years I have had it, the clutch has never seized like my old Mikita would sometimes. Setting the clutch on 1 sometimes will make it release before the screw is all the way down. Still I will do the final torque by hand, though. So you still need a good set of driver bits, and a good set of hand drivers.
Agree, well said. If using a power driver, best to do final torque by hand.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I currently use Bondhus hand drivers and they work great. At first I was worried that the ball ends would strip screws out but I have not had any issues with them whatsoever. I will likely try the MIP power driver bits as some of you have suggested. I just need to choose a power driver but I am not too worried about that. I was more concerned with finding good hex bits. Thanks again for all the feedback!

I have the Bosch linked below and I like it. Another thing to pay attention to, in my opinion, is the speed you put in/take out screws in plastic as it can heat up the plastic quite a bit. I don't know if it actually has any impact on the parts but I try to stay at a speed that is about comparable to using a hand driver or a little faster.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076H1K6BR/ref=twister_B076P629QY?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

I have found that ball end drivers work great on larger sizes and screws that don't need to be torqued. But that 1.5mm ball end is almost useless. But then maybe I just need better tools... :)

I have found that ball end drivers work great on larger sizes and screws that don't need to be torqued. But that 1.5mm ball end is almost useless. But then maybe I just need better tools... :)
The bondhus ball drivers are very durable. The 1.5mm hasn’t been a problem yet either. My only complaint is that the 1.5mm one has a very small handle so it is awkward to use. However they designed the handle that small so that way you are not as likely to over torque a screw that small.

I got one of the 4x batteries so it will stand up on the workbench. Plus it lasts almost forever.
I need one of those. The smaller M12 pack has a hard time keeping up with my sawsall attachment. I don't use it often, but it's very handy to cut off bolts, hack through some plastic or to cut through some aluminum or steel when making a part. So much quicker than just using a dremel or god forbid, an actual hand saw. lol

I don't know if it actually has any impact on the parts but I try to stay at a speed that is about comparable to using a hand driver or a little faster

Yep. I do the same. The M12 lets you turn pretty slowly so you don't melt the threads.

Yeah, the M12 Hacksaw is a battery sucking fool. Even worse is the very short stroke, which makes it almost useless on stock thicker than about 3/4". That one is not Milwaukee's best tool.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back