Hex driver size to remove driveshaft from diff on Granite 3S BLX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiRC

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hi all, my MIP drivers aren't quite long enough to reach down the driveshaft to the screw that separates it from the diff on my granite. I don't want a whole other set as the MIP's are awesome so I just wanted to check the size of the screw head before I bought a driver. It looks like 2.0mm?

Hi all, my MIP drivers aren't quite long enough to reach down the driveshaft to the screw that separates it from the diff on my granite. I don't want a whole other set as the MIP's are awesome so I just wanted to check the size of the screw head before I bought a driver. It looks like 2.0mm?
Easy just tilt the axle over 90* so you can access the screw through the u joint instead. I'll get you a picture of what to do in a few minutes.

I tried that but I can't quite get it in there. Maybe a ball end driver would work

this the set I use to remove the inner joint of the axle on my 4S Kraton. They ok however, they get the job done and, the tips are replaceable. The screw is a 2mm, at least it is on the
1592271550179.png
Kraton.

this the set I use to remove the inner joint of the axle on my 4S Kraton. They ok however, they get the job done and, the tips are replaceable. The screw is a 2mm, at least it is on the View attachment 85761 Kraton.
Its the same thing for the 3s line i don't understand why it wont fit it should fit it uses the same metal u join
Where does your hex driver bind i was able to take them out with my normal 2mm driver

I bought a set of hexes that were longer than the mip's to reach inside the drive shaft. I just broke a rear driveshaft tonight on my Typhon 3s... Replaced it using the longer shaft hex. Back up and running now.

I needed this 2 days ago when I had bearings out and truck apart, couldn’t reach the screw hiding in the rear driveshaft. I went to see if it worked and well I’ve got 4 more bearing installed now. Was still a pain using arrma supplied L key though. I’ve got a few long 2mm wrenches in my amazon cart, I Just need to pick the one I want. Elkind brand is made in USA and long t handle is less than 3 dollars.

I snapped a ball end removing a pinion gear, after that i am against ball end bits for rc cars. never was a fan of them, but using smallest size than it breaking off & jamming itself in the set screw. Use flat tipped hex drivers if you can.

I snapped a ball end removing a pinion gear, after that i am against ball end bits for rc cars. never was a fan of them, but using smallest size than it breaking off & jamming itself in the set screw. Use flat tipped hex drivers if you can.
I’m not a big fan of ball end Hex in general either, but especially the small sizes these trucks take.

I needed this 2 days ago when I had bearings out and truck apart, couldn’t reach the screw hiding in the rear driveshaft. I went to see if it worked and well I’ve got 4 more bearing installed now. Was still a pain using arrma supplied L key though. I’ve got a few long 2mm wrenches in my amazon cart, I Just need to pick the one I want. Elkind brand is made in USA and long t handle is less than 3 dollars.
You need drivers its a must even a set of 4 on amazon for 10$ will be somewhat better than allen keys

You need drivers its a must even a set of 4 on amazon for 10$ will be somewhat better than allen keys
I got a set of sae/metric drivers, but they’re not Skinny for long enough to get down the driveshaft. Work great for everything else so I’ll pick up one long 2mm and leave it in the rc toolbox.

A 2mm driver with 60mm shaft length works great. But it's close, definitely don't get anything shorter.

Also consider the diameter of the shaft. My 2mm ball end driver is to thick above the ball to fit through.

Got this set based on the recommendation and I really like it, but it still won’t Freaking fit through the u-joint in the driveshaft to remove them. I refuse to do the bend it and use the supplied Allen L key again. Anyone have a driver that will for sure go all the way down the drive shaft through the u-joint to the screw?

Got this set based on the recommendation and I really like it, but it still won’t Freaking fit through the u-joint in the driveshaft to remove them. I refuse to do the bend it and use the supplied Allen L key again. Anyone have a driver that will for sure go all the way down the drive shaft through the u-joint to the screw?
I just used my set today on my Typhon diff

776F6E3C-CF12-4DC1-86E7-6FF04DACD0B3.jpeg

Remove the hex shaft of the driver but it inside the hole and use those crocodile style wrench bite it tight and turn tahts how i do it with long driveshafts of the axle side

View attachment 87499
Did you get a rock inside ur diff?

Remove the hex shaft of the driver but it inside the hole and use those crocodile style wrench bite it tight and turn tahts how i do it with long driveshafts of the axle side

Did you get a rock inside ur diff?
Just trying to lock it up for my drag build. It sure makes them way heavier. It’s might as well be filled with lead.

View attachment 87499
I don’t know what to tell you? Is that a 3s diff? I’m no slouch when it comes to turning wrenches and it wouldn’t fit through the u joint for me. If the 2mm was turned down towards the tip like the 1.5 I think it would fit through. I like the set, it just didn’t reach those pesky driveshaft screws. How long have you had yours, maybe they had a revision on them?

I don’t know what to tell you? Is that a 3s diff? I’m no slouch when it comes to turning wrenches and it wouldn’t fit through the u joint for me. If the 2mm was turned down towards the tip like the 1.5 I think it would fit through. I like the set, it just didn’t reach those pesky driveshaft screws. How long have you had yours, maybe they had a revision on them?
Yes it is a 3S/4S diff. They are all the same. As you can see, there is plenty of length to spare. It’s not even a close fit.

1E6C11CC-B680-4A8E-AAED-D291AE809D40.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back