Hey crawler crew. Any suggestions on my first one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TRX killed it with their first crawler. Really, the Sport is currently the best out there for the price. Plus, of course, parts and upgrade support. If I were buying now, it'd be a TRX4 sport kit + about a hundred murican bucks in brushed electronics, cheap 20kg servo and radio.

Electronics wise, a Holmes Hobbies 20$ 550 sealed can motor and a 40$ Hobbywing 1080 ESC is all you need to get around, be smooth and slow enough for rocks but have some wheelspeed. Great little brushed ESC! Of course, you can throw a couple hundred at a brushless setup.

The Enduro Sendero or whatsitcalled looks nice too but I'd be wary of buying anything that's not sold in zillions. Parts may become a problem if they discontinue it and upgrades won't be as cheap and plentiful as for a TRX or Axial rig.

A good channel for some basics and more than basics on crawler tech (esp electronics as they manufacture them): https://www.youtube.com/user/HolmesHobbies

@Lcarter, the Wraith is... I don't know. It's pretty meh when stock, but with some upgrades it becomes so capable it's not even fun. And it *needs* upgrades. Older Axial rigs (and the Wraith is old) were pretty crappy in component quality and design. Some guys love them though. I sold mine last year.
That’s the electronics I’ve got. A 550 Holmes torque master and 1080 crawler spec esc. Super smoooooth?

I recommend a known brand due to part support. either the trx4 sport or an Axial.
I'm not familiar with the trx4, only Axial, you have both the Trail Honcho or the Wreith 1.9 in that price range.

Honcho is a standard ladder frame chassis, so you can easily adapt it to other bodies in the future, the Wreith have an integrated pipe chassis that is nicer but cannot be changed.

I ran mine for over a year with zero modification and zero issues. Its a completely different beast than a basher.

I really like my Traxxas TRX4 SPORT. The only thing I've been able to break is the plastic servo horn.
In my SCX10-II I broke the faux rear bumper and I burned up a motor in it once.

After some research and looking at the above I narrowed my choice down to the TRX4 Sport and the Axial SCX10ii, but my soul just wouldn't let me spend money on Traxxass..??

So I bought the SCX10iii, it's my first crawler etc etc..?

Having loads of fun just building it, I went with the HolmesHobbies Crawlmaster motor with a HW 1080 Crawler esc and the pair of them were only £58..!!! I couldn't believe how cheap they were..??
Going to use my DX5C, I bought a 5 channel rx so I can use the 2 speed the dig and add some lights..?

I would advise you to just go with Traxxas or Axial, they are the two biggest companies that make them and I believe parts and upgrades will be around for along time..??

If you like building stuff I totally recommend getting one of these..!!

Just look, I turned all these parts into...... drum roll ?

IMG_5927 2.jpeg

This...???

IMG_5933 2.jpeg

It's a real 2 speed gearbox..!! ?

Nice!
Did you read about the issue with the clicking in the transmission? did you make notice to put those two gears facing the correct direction?
Trx4 will crawler all over that thing?

Did you read about the issue with the clicking in the transmission? did you make notice to put those two gears facing the correct direction?
Yep, I'd put mine in the correct way round..??
I had noticed the cut outs in the gears before I'd built mine, and have since seen all the vids explaining it.
Finally got round to building mine till today..??
Spent the whole of this week painting it..?

Last edited:
Well team, I have a lot of research to do. I have 10 days before the hobby shop credit from my time at the auto show, can be used. Definitely gonna be a crawler, just have to decide how much out of pocket is gonna be applied. Thanks for all the suggestions and input. Its finally time for NJ to slow down a bit. Getting old you know?

After some research and looking at the above I narrowed my choice down to the TRX4 Sport and the Axial SCX10ii, but my soul just wouldn't let me spend money on Traxxass..??

So I bought the SCX10iii, it's my first crawler etc etc..?

Having loads of fun just building it, I went with the HolmesHobbies Crawlmaster motor with a HW 1080 Crawler esc and the pair of them were only £58..!!! I couldn't believe how cheap they were..??
Going to use my DX5C, I bought a 5 channel rx so I can use the 2 speed the dig and add some lights..?

I would advise you to just go with Traxxas or Axial, they are the two biggest companies that make them and I believe parts and upgrades will be around for along time..??

If you like building stuff I totally recommend getting one of these..!!

Just look, I turned all these parts into...... drum roll ?

View attachment 75293

This...???

View attachment 75295

It's a real 2 speed gearbox..!! ?
I have the SCX10 II BLAZER and trx4 sport. In stock form, the TRX4 sport can crawl into lots of places the Axial just couldn't. The trx4 also is faster due to its bigger motor. It also has higher ground clearance.

Trx4 will crawler all over that thing?
That’s why you need both! I just ordered the scx10 iii and I sold my scx10 ii. I drove my friends and I was impressed. I had my ii for a few years. It’s a good choice also.

but that said my trx4 literally crawls over it all. It’s been the best money spend a crawler yet. Weird saying that about a Traxxas.

I had mine narrowed down to the Vaterra Ascender, Redcat Gen 8, and the Trx-4 Sport.

The lack of aftermarket and fear the Vaterra line was going way took that one out. The Bnd version is $279usd if you have a radio to use. I didn't, and the RTR is $329, so only $10 less than the Trx4.

I liked the look of the Redcat a lot. Their website currently has it at $269usd. However when I watched videos of it crawling there was just something I didn't like. Couldn't even pinpoint it. Also, changing that body is going to be tough if I chose to down the road because of the fender on fender mount design.

I didn't really want to support Traxxas, but for me it was the best choice. I found it for $339usd, but it seems a lot of places are bumping it up to $359usd. I went the RTR route because it does come out cheaper when you consider the $65usd for the esc and motor combo (hobbywing 1080 & holmes motor) plus servo and paint. Also, I knew I wasnt going to run the rack that comes in the kit, but there's holes all over the bed rails for it.

I did change the pinion to a 15t before I ran it to slow it down a bit. I have an Amazon 20kg servo on hand, but will run the stock one until it breaks.

I've been really happy with it. A few free mods has really made it very capable. I know I'll get a different body to custom paint at some point. (Btw, the sport body fits eerily well on the K6s just setting it on there)

Either way, I can't wait to see what you go with.

the sport body fits eerily well on the K6s just setting it on there

Ha! I wanted to ask about this on the forum but thought what are the chances someone tried it... (a guy near me is selling his sport body and I need a body for my kraton)
:D
I’d avoid the axial bomber I was bashing with a guy that had one yesterday. It broke within minutes. I put 2 sets of batteries through my xmaxx. No breakages.

Not comparable at all. Put a brushless system in any stock(ish) crawler/RR and it will wreak havoc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back