Outcast Hey guys! I joined here to get some feedback. I’m looking for a motor upgrade, but using the stock 150a for the time being.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinofallsinners

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I got an Outcast 6s EXB rtr on sale from Horizon for 460$ I love the truck, it quickly became my favorite RC. Well, I’m already feeling that the 2050kv is underpowered. For now, I’d like to stick with the 150a ESC, I’ll upgrade it in a few months. Anyone here tried the Holmes Puller Pro 4274 2100kv?? They say it has as much torque as larger cans. I’m looking to stay in the higher KV range. Otherwise, should I get the Hobbywing 4985 or the Castle 1515?? Also, does the Hobbywing fit the stock motor mount without any mods?
Thanks all!

A0E1462E-4CD7-4AAC-84F5-1CCA7F37218E.jpeg

That Tekno or Losi or whatever that is, blows me away dude. Sweeet.(y)

If you want more grunt/torque, I would go with a lower Kv motor. 1650k -1900kv. If not, stay with the stocker Motor for now. And tweak your ESC parameters, Timing, punch etc. . Higher KV motors over 2100kv will usually run way hotter with less torque in off road scenarios. Just more RPMs. If you have not, Gear your setup better with some different size pinions. If you haven't done so yet, don't look to another motor just yet, unless it is worn out. Do you open and clean out and lube your motors?
FWIW, the stocker 2050kv motor only clocks at aprox 1940-1960kv when I test them on my BLX motor analyzer. Pretty much all my 6s BLX stocker motors do. They are below kv spec. Food for thought.
Just my spin. There are many other thoughts on this.

yeah, best scenario would be to solder the stocker ESC side with matching 6.5's. Then when you upgrade to a HW ESC , your motor will remain Plug and play. I try to avoid soldering at the motor side. Unless the wires/plugs are damaged. And 6.5's are best no doubt.

And tweak your ESC parameters, Timing, punch etc.

Changing just the punch settings can wake up the ESC's and go from a rig that will barely wheelie to a rig that'll lift the nose in a heartbeat. Also, it seems the latest firmware makes the Firma 150 run smoother and it feels 'punchier' than before. All of the stock 6S trucks feel anemic with the stock ESC settings, but really come to life when you start messing with punch.

As a bonus, with the latest Spektrum ESC, receiver, and transmitter firmware versions, textgen programming makes for easy tuning adjustments.

Thanks guys!! Yeah, if anything I’ll solder 6.5s on the ESC. I’ll be grabbing a Hobbywing combo soon. I’ve got the punch all the way up, the stock motor isn’t too bad honestly, it’ll still do standing backflips and run quite fast on a 14t pinion. I guess I’m just used to my Lasernut running like a scalded dog with the Castle 1415 2400kv, it’s a beast for a small-ish motor.

Changing just the punch settings can wake up the ESC's and go from a rig that will barely wheelie to a rig that'll lift the nose in a heartbeat. Also, it seems the latest firmware makes the Firma 150 run smoother and it feels 'punchier' than before. All of the stock 6S trucks feel anemic with the stock ESC settings, but really come to life when you start messing with punch.

As a bonus, with the latest Spektrum ESC, receiver, and transmitter firmware versions, textgen programming makes for easy tuning adjustments.
Are you speaking of a Retail version Firma 150 and its F/W?
What Revision do you have?

I have the Outcast EXB rtr, bought it in October. I’m guessing it’d be the newest version. This is only my second ARRMA, usually go Losi, but I’m glad I got the outcast!!! Yeah, it’s the plain ol’ Firma 150 amp ESC.
-While I’m thinking about it; I found a motor that looks like a perfect candidate on JennysRC out of a Traxxas XO-1 for cheap (It says it’s Castle 1717 just tweaked for speed.) I know the Castle will fit and is a beast, but, the Traxxas version only has the 4mm mounting holes, instead of Castle with the 3&4mm. Do you guys think it’d mount up no problem? I’m guessing it will, but I’m trying to play it safe lol. If I buy this motor I’ll be getting an ESC sooner as the motor is half the price as a normal Castle here’s the pics of the four mounting holes.
463C8F0D-099D-4577-A84A-8465EFCB669B.jpeg

Oh, and would it be possible to update the firmware without a programming card? I forgot to pick one up. Since I upped the punch, the truck is more powerful than I initially gave it credit for.

Can't see why it won't work with a proper motor mount adapter??? Not 100% sure. Others may chime in on this.
You will have to obviously solder the 3 correct size female Bullets at the Firma ESC side however.

Right on! Yeah I’m going to order a Max 6 to pair up with it. I was curious if Traxxas had some sort of weird proprietary mounting for that motor since it’s so different from the regular 1717.
I really do appreciate everyone’s help. This is an awesome group, I’m glad to be a part of it.

Are you speaking of a Retail version Firma 150 and its F/W?
What Revision do you have?
Whatever came in the 6S Kraton, though it's not the first time I've experienced this with the Firma 150's. I think the latest FW is 2.61.
would it be possible to update the firmware without a programming card?
No, you need the Spektrum program card to update the FW. Not even the HW program card will update the Spektrum units.

I sure will post the build in that thread as soon as I get some of my parts in. Was dealing with factory stripped bolts today. I need to find a raised servo horn for a JX servo. I really dislike Spektrum using their weird spline count on the servos.
@sinofallsinners., try doing your own build thread. You got this.

:cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back