Hey guys new to the forums with a question about batteries.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twenty7kvn

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 4s
Hey, guys just got back into RC after about ten years ( i think lol ) away. The last cars I had were a Duratrax Evader st and a Team Associated tc10 rc3. I stripped the Spurr in my RC 10 and broke my evader somehow.

Anyway, I just got an Arrma outcast 4s 2 3s Spektrum 5000 mah 5c packs, Spektrum s150 charger, and a cell checker. I ran the truck today, ran both packs until cutoff one pack is at 5% 10.48v and each cell is at 3.48V and the other is at 6% 10.57v and each cell is at 3.50V and I have the auto discharge set to 72hr.

Now I'm not planning one running this truck again until the weekend and I was wondering if it's safe to leave the batteries as-is for four+ days I've heard it's bad to let these things completely die.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey, guys just got back into RC after about ten years ( i think lol ) away. The last cars I had were a Duratrax Evader st and a Team Associated tc10 rc3. I stripped the Spurr in my RC 10 and broke my evader somehow.

Anyway, I just got an Arrma outcast 4s 2 3s Spektrum 5000 mah 5c packs, Spektrum s150 charger, and a cell checker. I ran the truck today, ran both packs until cutoff one pack is at 5% 10.48v and each cell is at 3.48V and the other is at 6% 10.57v and each cell is at 3.50V and I have the auto discharge set to 72hr.

Now I'm not planning one running this truck again until the weekend and I was wondering if it's safe to leave the batteries as-is for four+ days I've heard it's bad to let these things completely die.

Storage charge if not planing on using in 24-48hrs

The rule of thumb is to not keep your batteries either fully charged or fully discharged. They have to be kept at "storage charge". I think it's 3.8 volts per cell. I use my charger and set it up for storage charge it. You should always do that. I only take a chance for like 2 days, which you should not do. I've had a battery puff on me and that's probably why.
My charger doesn't have a storage charge function, is their another way i can do that?
Are you sure? It sounds like a good modern charger. Did you check the manual?

My charger doesn't have a storage charge function, is their another way i can do that?
I’d suggest getting an s1200 charger
Storage charge is 3.85 ish per cell doesn’t have to be exact just close
Are you sure? It sounds like a good modern charger. Did you check the manual?
Look up the charger it’s tiny

Always put your lipos into storage mode. Charger will either charge or discharge to 3.8v per cell. I don't let a day pass. Your lipos will last much longer if stored correctly. When new, they came shipped at 3.8v/cell. Also if stored at 3.8v for longer periods like winter months etc, check voltages with your cell checker, the voltage will drop over time, just recharge to storage mode and balance. Important to keep them balanced. You lipo cells are at 3.48v. Too low to let sit around. Bring them to 3.8v until next week or whenever.
BTW, why do you have "discharge" set to 72 hours?? Your charger will ony discharge if you are storage charging them and they are still above 3.8v. Storage is 3.8v no more, no less.
Say you went to bash and with 3 minutes you break something and have to stop and return home. That Lipo must be discharged to 3.8v. Because it was barely used. It may still have close to 4.0-4.2v. ( volts are too high to store them as is). These lipos are very different than Nicads and NiMh which are best stored drained. Lipos always stored at 3.8v within 24 hours minimum from being run.. I know I repeated that numerous times above.:cool: Sorry. The more you adhere to this rule, the longer and more durable your lipos will remain.
Others may chime with their thoughts.

Edit. Just read the manual of your charger. Unfortunately it's very limited and it looks like it can only fully balance charge your battery. Bummer. I don't like those kinds of chargers. I have a hitec X2 AC Plus Black Edition Charger. It's awesome. I can charge two batteries at the same time time. I control it through Bluetooth with my phone. It even talks. I should have gotten the one that charges 4 batteries at the same time ?
https://hitecrcd.com/products/charg...ition-charger-discharger-power-supply/product

Yea i was planning on doing that at a later date. But I can just charge them up to 3.85 maybe 4v to be safe and let them sit?
4v is no good for storage!! 3.8-3.85. Right at the mark. Be religous and accurate. A lipo can crap out after a few months if not treated right. They can last more than a year of hard use if treated well. They are expensive. You can discharge them if you only have that feature. but there should be a way to select the discharge 3.85v cutoff. I have an older B6 charger that will. My newer HM does Storage.
Any decent charger worth its weight should storage charge/discharge any lipo as needed.

Thanks for the info guys. Since my charger have a storage charge mode can I put the batteries to charge at a lower amperage to get them up to 3.8V?

If you are using the Spektrum Smart lipos/ charger combo, They should discharge and self balance on their own. Is your Cell checker also the Spektrum Smart one? It can program the smart lipos also to do what you want..

If you are using the Spektrum Smart lipos/ charger combo, They should discharge and self balance on their own. Is your Cell checker also the Spektrum Smart one? It can program the smart lipos also to do what you want..
Yea I have a spektrum cell checker. But it's my cell voltage to low I pretty my ran the packs dry today.

Thanks for the info guys. Since my charger have a storage charge mode can I put the batteries to charge at a lower amperage to get them up to 3.8V?
Upping the amps will speed it up. But keep the rate at a1c. In your case being 5000mAh, charge at 5.0 amps. That is considered 1C rate.

If you have a way to watch your voltages while charging, yes you can manually get them to storage voltage. Amperage is not important as long as you don’t go over 5amp with the batteries you have.

3.48v/ per cell is not tragic. But for all purposes, they are low considered dumped. Sometimes LVC on the ESC cuts off lower than should be. In a perfect world lipos will last very long if never dropped below 3.7v/cell.
4.2v-3.7v is the best usage range for these lipos. Storage volts being in the middle of that. Keeping the cells balanced is the other part of the equation. I know its a lot to understand in one reading. Search up on the subject. Lipos can be dangerous if not understood. They can get unstable if you abuse them. Just food for thought.(y):cool:
edit:
Lipos come shipped when new with 3.85v. They can sit on shelves of inventory for quite awhile and store well at 3.85v. That's the target volts we should always keep them at. They are the most stable, chemistry wise. Safest condition. To keep in your home.

Last edited:
Since i have this same spektrum setup, Is it necessary to fully follow through with this storage charge and discharge rule of thumb.. Word around is they discharge automatically to their storage rate when not being used? Smart tech eh'

Don't quote me, but having read up on The Smart Charger system, I believe the Internal Self discharge feature is just a "fail safe" within the Smart Lipo itself. (Self Protection)
You should still set it to storage mode after using the Smart Lipo. The charger will either Charge or Discharge to 3.8v/cell, depending how many volts are left after bashing. Let the Charger do its job. Read up a bit. There are videos...:cool:

I see. There is no storage mode per the manual. It is the budget Smart charger. $29. No problem....

I would check voltage with a suitable DVM or cell checker and charge the lipo if below 3.8v until it is charged to 3.8v then stop the charger... done after every lipo use. If the lipo was used but remains over 3.8v. Let the Smart discharge function within the Lipo self-discharge to 3.8v/cell by itself. Charger not needed and detached. Others with this charger may chime in. :cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back