Kraton Hi, Ive just bought my son the Kraton for Christmas,do I get 4s or 6s lipo? or two 3s ?Also will the brand of battery make a difference ? thankyou

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. Really appreciate it.
I do have a question regarding charging .....
Once my son has finished with his car is it best to put the battery into storage charge or discharge it ?
I've over the last few days have put it in storage, but could this damage the battery ?
Also where is it best to store the batteries , indoors in a lipo bag or in the shed ( outside ) ? I'm in UK 🇬🇧 where temps don't drop much past freezing.
Fantastic gift for your boy and good on you for the work you’ve put in to do this right.

DO NOT discharge the battery. That will kill them. If they drop below 3.0v they become dangerous. The storage will charge or discharge to 3.8v automatically as needed And that’s where they want to be. Won’t harm them and is in fact their preferred state.

Once my son has finished with his car is it best to put the battery into storage charge or discharge it ?
I've over the last few days have put it in storage, but could this damage the battery ?
Also where is it best to store the batteries , indoors in a lipo bag or in the shed ( outside ) ? I'm in UK 🇬🇧 where temps don't drop much past freezing.
Put the battery in storage charge after using it: it won't hurt the battery at all. Don't store the battery in an unheated shed: the temp differences aren't good for a battery. If you have a LiPo bag, use that to store the battery inside. The best place to store the battery and bag inside is on a surface that won't catch fire, like the concrete floor of a basement (if you have one). Just be sure it is away from anything combustible.

As for storage, shed should be fine and is good piece of mind…especially as a father I’d rather know my house is always good. Room temp is ideal but if you don’t freeze in your climate I think you’ll be fine. some lipo bags are not up to par so Id still take double caution. Put in a lipo bag and then something else like a metal box. I use a concrete masonry unit ( $2 at hardware store) and place the lipo bag in one of the cells and put a ceramic tile lid over the cell. Whatever may work for another layer of protection And mostly to cut the oxygen supply. That’s conservative but whats a small amount of caution and money vs burning down your shed. It’s rare but Lipos do sometimes flame up.

I recommend getting him a Bat-Safe for charging and storing batteries. They're not as cheap as a LiPo bag but then you don't have to worry as much about house vs shed etc.. He can just charge and store wherever so long as it's a reasonable distance from flammable objects/surfaces.

Just some storage/charging ideas.
1A4E02FF-D061-45DB-8691-0403ADA68807.jpeg
9E397695-14E1-4EF5-B723-DE056925C8CD.jpeg

Good ideas. Might be wise to vent the storage box if you haven't already so the gases can escape more easily in the event of a fire.

I have the same one and it's well worth the cost for peace of mind IMO.
Yea i watched a video demonstration.. It worked well.. It even trapped all the soot smoke in and just vented out white smoke.. It was all burnt up inside but was only cosmetic.. I think it could of took a lot more than they gave it as well!! 🤔

The lid is stuffed with what appears to be ceramic refractory insulation and in the videos it does seem to do a good job of filtering solid particles out of the smoke. I hope I never have to find out how effective it really is.

The whole box seems to be well thought out with steel internal walls to resist direct contact with a battery undergoing thermal runaway, a thick layer of ceramic insulation to keep the heat away from the outer surfaces and large total vent surface area to prevent pressure build up. Apparently it's designed to be reusable after an incident as well so long as the seals are intact. They have a larger version too if you have big batteries or a large number of smaller ones.

The lid is stuffed with what appears to be ceramic refractory insulation and in the videos it does seem to do a good job of filtering solid particles out of the smoke. I hope I never have to find out how effective it really is.

The whole box seems to be well thought out with steel internal walls to resist direct contact with a battery undergoing thermal runaway, a thick layer of ceramic insulation to keep the heat away from the outer surfaces and large total vent surface area to prevent pressure build up. Apparently it's designed to be reusable after an incident as well so long as the seals are intact. They have a larger version too if you have big batteries or a large number of smaller ones.
Yea did u get the one with the charger mount!?

When you are done running the car, charge the battery under the 'storage charge' setting. This places a partial charge in the battery, which is optimum for lipo battery longevity.

then place them into the lipo bag for storage, until you want to run the rig again. Be sure to fully charge the battery before you run it again....

An added bit of security would be to put them in the outside shed, but the main concern appears to be during the charging of the battery.
I just use an old ammo box. You can get them in military stores for €20, and they're built to hold things that are far more dangerous than a LiPo.
Thats exactly what I do

Thats the smaller one!🕵‍
Correct me if I'm wrong but there is a bat safe mini, regular bat safe (which believe both of those linked are) and bat safe XL? Am I missing a size? The one from Amazon looked like an over priced regular bat safe??

I have the first original one when it was released. Owned by the original company, then sold to another distributor, if I am correct.
They added 2 more Bat-Safe sizes, and mine is considered the Medium one. :unsure: I paid alot when it first came out. I think close to $90. And they were on B/o constantly. Hard to find at the time.
Mine measures 12' x9" x 6".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back