Felony High speed gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fallguy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 6s
  4. Typhon 6s
Anyone bashing around with the high speed gearing? I know it is suggested not to but was wondering if anyone had tried it and how hot things got.

Don't do it. Some people out there tried in the early stages and ESC simply cuts off due to overheating and they lost all steering. Not a good thing when it happens at 60mph.

Speed gear is for one run and ~5 min cool down. Some videos show 2 or 3 in a row and they all reliably went off the rails in the 3rd run.
With upgraded fans you can run a 19T but honestly, for bashing, it performed worse. Yu loose low end acceleration but gain top end speed which is not all that important. I went back to stock pinion for bashing. Plenty of fun.

Don't do it. Some people out there tried in the early stages and ESC simply cuts off due to overheating and they lost all steering. Not a good thing when it happens at 60mph.

Speed gear is for one run and ~5 min cool down. Some videos show 2 or 3 in a row and they all reliably went off the rails in the 3rd run.
With upgraded fans you can run a 19T but honestly, for bashing, it performed worse. Yu loose low end acceleration but gain top end speed which is not all that important. I went back to stock pinion for bashing. Plenty of fun.
Great info. Thank you 👍

Sounds like you are maybe ready for upgrades in the near future?? Max6 or max5 in the works with a lower kv big can motor, fans and gear it accordingly?? Lol

My experience with stock and only bashing, I'm using up 1 set GRP S7 every 10 packs. Bashing is on a large bus parking lot and stock is just right. Anything stronger or faster and you will need more room. Keep your area in mind.
I did upgrade to a Firma 160 for potential 8S action. Stock motor bullets can't tolerate that ESC and they de-solderd themselves, easy upgrade to larger bullets fixes that. This is a speed basher and it does that extremely well in bone stock.
Even on stock pinion, during warmer temps (above ~ 80F) I would recommend a better motor fan.
My recommended upgrades, better motor fan, alu center diff and M2C Ackerman plate. I do use alu skid plates, stay away from anything carbonfiber that could touch the ground.

Thanks all. I am picking up a pre-owned owned 160a firma esc and motor out of a DBXL 2.0. 😯

Anyone bashing around with the high speed gearing? I know it is suggested not to but was wondering if anyone had tried it and how hot things got.
Yes. Don’t listen to these people who say stock gearing is “plenty of fun”. This hobby is all about modding and pushing the limits. I am running a 27tooth pinion with yeah racing tornado fans and the motor and esc doesn’t get over 120 degrees after 10 mins of speed runs.
Yes. I run 27 tooth with yeah racing tornado fans and it stays cool after many speed runs. Don’t listen to these people who say stock is “plenty of fun”. This hobby is all about pushing the limits and modding.

It really depends where you are. Bought mine used and it didn’t have the speed gear, but still does 60+ mph very easily and roasts tires on my 20mph street. It’s a handful in small areas and pretty fun like that, but if I were to find somewhere wide open I’m sure I would want to push it more, maybe race a car or two, speed by a speed trap, or many other nonsense I can dream of.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back