Infraction High speed pinion issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaserguy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
How we doing guys I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the high speed pinion gear on the infraction v2 slipping and sounding clunky Iv done everything I can think of iv not got it to tight or too lose I’m really not a fan of this adjustable mount any advice would be great

It's just a bit noisy, metal on metal gears with no lube. You may find that some gear combination make more or less pleasant noises.

Make sure you have lash set correction and it should be good.

Some of the sounds they make. Ignore the guy that looks like a Far Side cartoon, the camera adds 20 lbs and 20 years. 😳

It's just a bit noisy, metal on metal gears with no lube. You may find that some gear combination make more or less pleasant noises.

Make sure you have lash set correction and it should be good.

Some of the sounds they make. Ignore the guy that looks like a Far Side cartoon, the camera adds 20 lbs and 20 years. 😳
I get that but the pinion keeps slipping and coming away from the spur gear it’s driving me insane 😂

Who makes the pinion, what size, what pitch, any pics.

Who makes the pinion, what size, what pitch, any pics.
It’s the manufacturer pinion 25t

E9F9620E-8F97-4367-9273-CAF0D5DA2D75.jpeg

I get that but the pinion keeps slipping and coming away from the spur gear it’s driving me insane 😂
If I'm understanding you correctly, it's not the pinion itself that's coming loose. It's the actual plate screwed to the motor coming loose in the motor mount which is causing the motor to move away from the diff a little bit so the teeth of pinion and spur no longer mesh. Am I close?

If that's the case, try some cap head screws instead of the button head you have in the motor mount. Get normal steel and not stainless and make sure they're long enough to go as deep into the motor plate as they can without poking through and touching the motor shaft (stock screws are 18mm but I'm pretty sure 20mm will work...verify that however) and make sure you really snug them down. I had that issue too with the stock motor mount. Make sure they're really tight, but don't go crazy and brute force them. Since the motor mount is aluminum, there's a fine line between really tight and lightly tearing threads just a little bit each time until, one day, the screw doesn't tighten anymore.

That's what I would try. You could try adding a small dab of medium strength thread locker (Loctite 242 for example) and letting it cure overnight if it really doesn't want to stay put. Make sure to clean the screw and hole with acetone before applying thread locker so that it bonds to the metal properly and cures thoroughly.
1675604492475.png

If I'm understanding you correctly, it's not the pinion itself that's coming loose. It's the actual plate screwed to the motor coming loose in the motor mount which is causing the motor to move away from the diff a little bit so the teeth of pinion and spur no longer mesh. Am I close?

If that's the case, try some cap head screws instead of the button head you have in the motor mount. Get normal steel and not stainless and make sure they're long enough to go as deep into the motor plate as they can without poking through and touching the motor shaft (stock screws are 18mm but I'm pretty sure 20mm will work...verify that however) and make sure you really snug them down. I had that issue too with the stock motor mount. Make sure they're really tight, but don't go crazy and brute force them. Since the motor mount is aluminum, there's a fine line between really tight and lightly tearing threads just a little bit each time until, one day, the screw doesn't tighten anymore.

That's what I would try. You could try adding a small dab of medium strength thread locker (Loctite 242 for example) and letting it cure overnight if it really doesn't want to stay put. Make sure to clean the screw and hole with acetone before applying thread locker so that it bonds to the metal properly and cures thoroughly.
View attachment 275823
To be honest I had a feeling it had something to do with the screws the original ones completely rounded off so I had to take a Dremel to it Iv stuck the stock pinion gear back in and it’s running smooth as butter 🤷‍♂️ I think what ever I did when I stuck the high pinion in Iv shredded it fml these cars send me insane at times Iv got a new motor on order so I’ll probably just change everything once Iv collected it I’m not a massive fan of the stock parts anyhow

View attachment 275823
I ordered these, and these, and these,..... I should be set for a little while, I hope.

2023-02-05_10h31_56.png

2023-02-05_10h31_26.png

Do you have the black spacer on the motor shaft?With that spacer it should keep the pinion tight against the e-clip.

To be honest I had a feeling it had something to do with the screws the original ones completely rounded off so I had to take a Dremel to it Iv stuck the stock pinion gear back in and it’s running smooth as butter 🤷‍♂️ I think what ever I did when I stuck the high pinion in Iv shredded it fml these cars send me insane at times Iv got a new motor on order so I’ll probably just change everything once Iv collected it I’m not a massive fan of the stock parts anyhow
Just a heads up, the Arrma Safe-D pinions only fit on the Spektrum motors and can't be used on aftermarket motors. For whatever reason making them D shaped wasn't enough (which I think is actually a pretty good idea), they had to make their own proprietary shaft size. You can use aftermarket pinions on the Spektrum motor but not Arrma gears on 3rd party motors. I wouldn't presume that you were going to use that 25T since it's so noisy, I just wanted to make sure you get some other pinions to go with the new motor. :)
I ordered these, and these, and these,..... I should be set for a little while, I hope.

View attachment 275851

View attachment 275852
lol...yeah, I think you're solid :LOL:

Just a heads up, the Arrma Safe-D pinions only fit on the Spektrum motors and can't be used on aftermarket motors. For whatever reason making them D shaped wasn't enough (which I think is actually a pretty good idea), they had to make their own proprietary shaft size. You can use aftermarket pinions on the Spektrum motor but not Arrma gears on 3rd party motors. I wouldn't presume that you were going to use that 25T since it's so noisy, I just wanted to make sure you get some other pinions to go with the new motor. :)

lol...yeah, I think you're solid :LOL:
I’m changing everything dude complete strip

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back