High Voltage battery. Did I make a mistake buying these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soo 15.2v 4s 8000mah battery are safe to run on xlx2?? Right
From Castle:

1680751059545.png

iirc hobbywing esc can handle hv lipo fine. As long as you charge them to the stated max voltage you should be okay? or maybe only 6s hv is acceptable.
I imagine with the new G2 Hobby Wing Max5 being 12s now, the HV LiPo shouldn’t be an issue running in 8s since there is so much headroom?

Castle is a little picky with voltage. It's not that you will blow stuff up (on purpose). The Lipo detection gets messed up and doesn't know if you have a very bad 6S or an overcharged 4S and might simply not turn on i.e. it believes it's 6S and LVC kicks in.

Haven't tried it myself, but that is what I'm hearing on other forums.

You could try turning off LVC and will probably work just fine.
8S HV is a different subject, most components have an upper voltage limit, and you would literally damage the ESC utilizing 8S HV. Not recommended if manufacturer states a max voltage (like Castle).

There is no real HV magic, the HV series is a normal lipo but can be reliably be charged to 4.35V per cell, thus getting more capacity.
At standard 4.2V is acts like a normal Lipo with ~ 80% of advertised HV capacity.

SMC is considering label options to make it more clear for their HV line, might take a couple of batches for it to trickle down.

Example:
5300mAh @ 4.35V
5035mAh @ 4.30V
4770mAh @ 4.25V
4505mAh @ 4.20V
+1
Send them back for a refund......or just charge them to normal 4.2 volts per cell. Will be fine this way. Just a tad lower in capacity.
Your call.
HV packs are not that popular of a thing. I am sure many of them have been sitting on the shelf for a while. Not in demand. It's why you may see supposed good deals on them.
You are not the first to inadvertently buy HV's by accident. Many prior threads here in regards.
I would not try charging and running them at the full HV 4.35 volts /cell.
For bashing, HV's make no real difference IMHO.
Just me.:cool:

Last edited:
The question is 15.2v don't damage the esc? Xlx2?
In my battery charger, you have to choose the HV option for them to reach 15.2V, which I would NEVER do with an XLX2. I just charge my HV batteries as regular batteries. Example : I wouldn't use the option on the "A" channel on my charger. So to answer your question, yes you could use a HW battery on your XLX2, as long as you charge it as a normal lipo :
20230827_124123.jpg
20230827_124239.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back