Higher Gearing or Higher Voltage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m curious to know whether it is better to run higher gearing or higher voltage for bashing and speed runs.

I think a lighter weight is better for bashing, so a 4s setup geared for 55-60 mph could potentially run at a lower temp than a heavier 6s setup geared for the same speed. There should also be less breakages with the lower weight. Let’s say the platform is a 6s Kraton.

Weight seems like less of a factor for speed runs, so the lower current draw of a 6s setup would be preferable to a 4s setup geared to reach the same speed. It seems like 8s should be better than 6s, but a lot of speed runners seem to stick with 6s on 8s capable motors/escs. Let’s say the platform is a limitless or infraction.

I’m curious to know whether it is better to run higher gearing or higher voltage for bashing and speed runs.

I think a lighter weight is better for bashing, so a 4s setup geared for 55-60 mph could potentially run at a lower temp than a heavier 6s setup geared for the same speed. There should also be less breakages with the lower weight. Let’s say the platform is a 6s Kraton.

Weight seems like less of a factor for speed runs, so the lower current draw of a 6s setup would be preferable to a 4s setup geared to reach the same speed. It seems like 8s should be better than 6s, but a lot of speed runners seem to stick with 6s on 8s capable motors/escs. Let’s say the platform is a limitless or infraction.
I don’t think you’ll find that a 6S vs 4S setup pulls less amperage. But the higher voltage spins the motor at a higher RPM, which usually creates more heat too.

I don’t think you’ll find that a 6S vs 4S setup pulls less amperage. But the higher voltage spins the motor at a higher RPM, which usually creates more heat too.
The motor speed is a good variable to consider. The higher voltage setup would have the disadvantage of heat due to higher motor speed for bashing and speed runs.

Because it is current that causes the heat in the motor, other than minor amounts from friction, and that power is current*voltage if you go up 50% on voltage you will get less current unless you are using 50% more power all the time on 6S compared to driving it on 4S.

Because it is current that causes the heat in the motor, other than minor amounts from friction, and that power is current*voltage if you go up 50% on voltage you will get less current unless you are using 50% more power all the time on 6S compared to driving it on 4S.
But there is a large amount of heat created by the added RPMs of the motor due to the added voltage… 🤷🏻‍♂️✌🏻

I went to 8s on my Felony, mojave and Limitless. I went up a little in pinion to tame some of the torque and despite everyone telling me they will run hotter they run cooler. Now that being said I am not speed running or doing doughnuts. My Mojave is run hard with the dog chasing it but it still ran cooler than 6s on stock gearing. I use telemetry and castle data logging for tempature.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back