Kraton Higher voltage batteries??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jluther@becoinc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Talion
I see some lipo manufacturers make lipos with higher voltages. My question is anyone running these? Are they worth the trouble of buying a different charger? Do you have to have a specific charger? Will they cause damage? I would really like more power!
I just haven’t seen or heard anything about them and don’t believe half the stuff on YouTube. Thanks guys!

Wouldn't bother with going out of your way to accommodate them for an RC truck. I have a few HV lipos, but I just run them at 4.2v max like the rest of my lipos. Theoretically, if you use a lipo that's meant to be charged to 4.3v per cell only at 4.2v max, then they should last even longer than regular lipos (that's my theory anyway).

If you need the extra voltage, which would give you a slightly higher top speed, then consider it. Otherwise, there are plenty of regular 4.2v max lipos out there that will give you just as good or better bang for buck.

I see some lipo manufacturers make lipos with higher voltages. My question is anyone running these? Are they worth the trouble of buying a different charger? Do you have to have a specific charger? Will they cause damage? I would really like more power!
I just haven’t seen or heard anything about them and don’t believe half the stuff on YouTube. Thanks guys!
Yeah. What Hector_Fisher said has a good point. I have never needed or felt like I needed todo something like that. What I have done when I want more power is just upgrade my electronics to take more power and push my rc harder and faster. My Traxxas Hoss now blasts on 4s and does anything a E-Revo or Maxx would.

as Raz Shifrin said in his last video, if you're a speed demon and you're doing 180mph+ things and you think, that maybe, maybe you'd want to get into the 200mph's, then you might use overcharged batteries because at that point you HAVE TO KNOW what you're doing. He is doing this recently and he's got now 2 different cars that are absolutely possible to be breaking world records.
for any other use, overcharged batteries are a useless risk in my opinion

as Raz Shifrin said in his last video, if you're a speed demon and you're doing 180mph+ things and you think, that maybe, maybe you'd want to get into the 200mph's, then you might use overcharged batteries because at that point you HAVE TO KNOW what you're doing. He is doing this recently and he's got now 2 different cars that are absolutely possible to be breaking world records.
I totally agree. I can understand its place for speed records though. In normal use though it just is not worth the risk, especially if you are using the max amount of voltage the system can take anyway.

His new dual motor car is very sweet. Watched that video yesterday…

His new dual motor car is very sweet. Watched that video yesterday…
that's actually his second one that can break a record this year. and it was absolutely insane that he's done 199mph with only smth like 460amp pull?! iirc that can go as high as in the high 500's so he s right about that car potentially being a 220mph one :eek:

There is 2 different things possibly being discussed. Charging a standard lipo beyond 4.2 v per cell.
Then there is LiHv batteries that are made to go to higher voltages when charged up.

I believe @Jluther@becoinc is referencing the latter.
Chargers typically have a LiHv mode for charging to 4.3 v fully charged. The problem is that if your ESC was made for standard 6s you cannot use a LiHv 6s pack in it because it will go above 25.2v and internal parts are often not made to handle the higher voltage. (specifically, capacitors would be of concern)

In general terms LiHv packs do not output amperage as well as high end LiPos do. (talking about SMC and Onyx)

Raz's rant is valid. You shouldn't over charge LiPos, but warming them is very helpful if you don't go too extreme.

that's actually his second one that can break a record this year. and it was absolutely insane that he's done 199mph with only smth like 460amp pull?! iirc that can go as high as in the high 500's so he s right about that car potentially being a 220mph one :eek:
I know right?? That was only the 3rd or 4th run on that car as well, I think. I’m only just starting to understand those numbers etc. Hoping to get them all figured finally out this year lol. It’s a good bit above my brains ability but I’m tryin’ 🤓

I know right?? That was only the 3rd or 4th run on that car as well, I think. I’m only just starting to understand those numbers etc. Hoping to get them all figured finally out this year lol. It’s a good bit above my brains ability but I’m tryin’ 🤓
Well, Raz understands the whole thing at this point, he could potentially break the record twice tomorrow if he wants, but he is enjoying the journey. It's rather rare that he gets something wrong. and the only thing he doesn't share is his gearings. but then sometimes you hear things such as extra tooth etc.
I learn quite a lot from his videos even tho I am not even a speed demon :D

To my point early, which was well stated by @LibertyMKiii, you can get much better performance with "regular 4.2v" packs than HV packs. If power is what you want, specifically, get high quality batteries from a reputable manufacturer. If you still want higher power, then change up your ESC/motor if needed and up the voltage (ie, 6s instead of 4s, or 4s instead of 3s). HV lipos are not the answer for the question of "more power", circling back to OP's question.

Well, Raz understands the whole thing at this point, he could potentially break the record twice tomorrow if he wants, but he is enjoying the journey. It's rather rare that he gets something wrong. and the only thing he doesn't share is his gearings. but then sometimes you hear things such as extra tooth etc.
I learn quite a lot from his videos even tho I am not even a speed demon :D
I enjoy them as well and have caught most of them these last couple years. My wife does also, largely in part to the technical nature (she’s a computer and electronics type). Raz is also building a business and his own personal brand. I really like watching the growth and development of his 2nd career in life. He is a retired pilot, which explains to me his exactness with most thing’s. Having worked in a ‘zero error’ industry half his life or more really shows in preparation and execution. I’ve learned so much from his wrenching videos as well. He seems a low ego nice guy also. OCD from hell but nice.

It could also be a complete waste of time as well. over voltage protection usually locks up the esc until the voltage returns to normal.. obviously this would depend on the esc..

I know it's not the core topic. But LiHv seems like a really nice application for Spektrum's Smart batteries.

All my stuff is standard LiPo. I just need to adjust the charge current as required. But if I added any LiHv batteries, you suddenly risk accidentally using an LiHv charge profile for a standard LiPo, and charging it to a too-high voltage.

If the pack could "identify itself" to the charger, to ensure proper charge voltages, that could be a big safety benefit.

Yes, proper care should mean this is manageable. But we're human, and sometimes things get overlooked. Especially when you're not used to worrying about something like charge voltage.

Last edited:
I enjoy them as well and have caught most of them these last couple years. My wife does also, largely in part to the technical nature (she’s a computer and electronics type). Raz is also building a business and his own personal brand. I really like watching the growth and development of his 2nd career in life. He is a retired pilot, which explains to me his exactness with most thing’s. Having worked in a ‘zero error’ industry half his life or more really shows in preparation and execution. I’ve learned so much from his wrenching videos as well. He seems a low ego nice guy also. OCD from hell but nice.
thanks for the insight, I always wondered what did he do or how can he afford such an expensive hobby. I also have a slight OCD and that's why finally I shimmed my Vorteks's arms and now they won't wobble.

and yes, Raz is an amazing human and I hope I can meet him one day :D

No wife, no kids 🤣
On a more serious note, I noticed the Perfect Pass company exists and they do speed control for boats, I wonder whether he s involved in that. He also has that hat w a brand on it and uses a car w that brand. The cars number plate actually. Anyway, he s my fav speed demon

On a more serious note, I noticed the Perfect Pass company exists and they do speed control for boats, I wonder whether he s involved in that. He also has that hat w a brand on it and uses a car w that brand. The cars number plate actually. Anyway, he s my fav speed demon
Isn’t that an American boat parts etc brand that’s been around awhile? I know them but forget lol

I believe that is a different company.
Raz has overall been a good thing for the speed side of the hobby. My only issue is that he says many things in a tone that conveys them as fact. Many times I disagree with things he says.... so my point is not everything he says is 100% right.

He is a businessman with his own agenda trying to grow the Perfect Pass brand. You have to sometimes look at it as opinions that might not always be true. Overall his builds etc are great learning for people.

He is a very nice guy having spoken with him on several occasions and did some business with him.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back