His and Hers build thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatJanky

+5 hp
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Typhon 3s
To first start off me and my family hail from Washington state. My wife actually came up with the idea to get RC cars because she thought it’d be fun. Her not realizing what she opened when she told me that. I have always gone above and beyond when it comes to my hobbies, I research like crazy and I love to dive in and try things out to get some hands on learning.

So from this point I’m really trying to find 2 RC cars for me and my wife, and it’s honestly really confusing. I wanted Nitro, because I always thought they were superior and electric cars for for kids. My assumption was dead wrong. I was finding that majority of the RC scene is electric, which makes sense with newer electric motors be capable of so much more torque and speed. So as I am looking I find 2 vehicles on Amazon, I find two that look like some cheap knockoff but it advertising 48+ KM/H ( I find it funny that it’s in kilometers because like myself, I’m sure us American think it’s so much faster. I had to google the conversion to MPH) after finding those I almost pulled the trigger, but wanted the wife’s blessing and she wanted to wait a little while. Which is actually good because it gave me time to do more research. So now this led me to find the Arrma Granite. I wanted it, it was so cool and good looking, I know that’s what I wanted. So then I decided to get my wife the same brand and speed, since my poor decision led me to get the mega, she naturally got the Senton. Although I regret not going with the BLX, I know this way I’ll learn more and when I get another it’s going to help my selection and overall knowledge of it.

Got two version 3 mega 4x4’s off eBay and it arrived in about 5 days, and for it being mega and starting it on NiHM batteries, it was way faster then I anticipated, I was actually ok with the speed and thought I might not upgrade ? who am I kidding. After driving them everyday for a week, I wanted, no, I needed more power. So I kept researching until I found myself getting the Max10 Combo with the 3660SL motor. On top of this I also needed about 18 thousand other parts to make the conversion. Not really but it seemed like it. And I was buying wrong parts too, so that didn’t help. Oh and the cost was double because I was buying for two and not one. Can’t leave my wife out. I’ll list what I’ve bought so far.
  • 36mm HW motor heat sink/fan
  • extra 91t spur gear ( I adjusted mine wrong and tore up the teeth a little) (also I didn’t use it because I upgraded to brushless to quickly)
  • Max10 HW combo x2
  • 57t steel spur gear (it was for 2wd, so it was returned) x2
  • 57t slipper clutch assembly x2
  • 57t steel spur gear ( the right one) x2
  • 15t pinion gear (didn’t know Senton was different so I bought 2) x2
  • 20t pinion gear
  • slipper clutch pads
  • HW ESC program card
  • Granite wheelie assemble
  • Senton Wheelie assembly
  • extra body clips
  • BLX aluminum motor mount x2
  • BLX red shaft x2
  • BLX slipper clutch maintenance set (just need the black piece) x2

That is it for now, I also do not want to know how much I spent on top of the $500 for the vehicles! I’ll attach what pictures I have and start taking more pics.

5EB19F0B-8AFC-40EF-A82C-1BC18C29D6F1.jpeg

6C98AB35-949D-475A-A62F-C3E87FDDF713.jpeg

0C8F396A-91F2-42F3-A4B5-CD514F788407.jpeg

6E41B6BA-BBA7-4A57-B0A5-596DF15B5C57.jpeg

C9D3D9EF-70AD-43D8-8CAE-9B387AA7DB8A.jpeg

BA5BFAAB-57D3-498E-B678-BD2E70CEB194.jpeg

C2522EBB-4B23-4081-9A23-0F326D7E0287.jpeg

276ABAA8-A065-4AD5-90C3-84797102CCCF.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice intro into the money pit, I mean hobby! ??

dang, well documented. Nice pics.
I love seeing this type of dedication to documenting stuff. Cheers!

Very cool that you went from Brushed to Brushless. There is a recent thread about this discussing the idea of doing this exact conversion and the cost associated. The final thoughts were to purchase the BLX to start. But since you purchased on eBay maybe you saved on initial cost (not sure).

I recently caught the Arrma bug and now I'm in the addiction program. I started with the Senton BLX and made tons of mods. I then purchased the Kraton EXB and built it up. I just received my Felony (all stock) and I'm fine-tuning the body height and suspension. I think my stable is complete. :)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the welcome. I will be making a more detailed description for the Senton build. Now that I know what I’m doing, or so I think.

dang, well documented. Nice pics.
I love seeing this type of dedication to documenting stuff. Cheers!

Very cool that you went from Brushed to Brushless. There is a recent thread about this discussing the idea of doing this exact conversion and the cost associated. The final thoughts were to purchase the BLX to start. But since you purchased on eBay maybe you saved on initial cost (not sure).

I recently caught the Arrma bug and now I'm in the addiction program. I started with the Senton BLX and made tons of mods. I then purchased the Kraton EXB and built it up. I just received my Felony (all stock) and I'm fine-tuning the body height and suspension. I think my stable is complete. :)
The V3 definitely made the conversion easier, it was less parts. But the money I spent on upgrades I would definitely be ahead if I would’ve just went with the BLX. The price was standard, no money off. That’s what I want next is the Kraton, I wanted the EXB but after seeing everything about the diffs and the price associated with adding everything I think I’ll go with a RTR and upgrade as necessary. What are you running in the EXB? What was the cost?

Last edited:
I'll send details on my EXB build shortly, it's a pretty interesting story.
I have back-to-back meetings. I know work is getting in the way of having fun!

@FatJanky im a recent senton mega v3 owner. went into my LHS thinking i’d buy a slash 4x4 vxl (didn’t know squat about rc and it was recommend over and over again), but was talked into this rig. mainly wanted it for my dog to chase in nearby field, so salesman says mega is plenty fast.

it was faster than i anticipated and i am having a ton of fun, but unfortunately my dog is faster than it on grass and once she catches up to it, she loses interest. she doesn’t care to destroy, she is all about the chase. so now i’m on the mission to upgrade as well. i too regret not getting a brushless rig, but i also enjoy tinkering, so i consider this a crash course in rc that i wouldn’t have received if i had gotten the brushless one.

trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible and also trying to compile a list of parts. looks like i’ll being buying pretty much the same items as you listed. any idea how much quicker your wife’s newly converted senton is compared to when it was stock? any issues you have run into? any other parts you have bought not listed on your original post?

also, thanks for documenting your build with all the parts. much appreciated.

@FatJanky im a recent senton mega v3 owner. went into my LHS thinking i’d buy a slash 4x4 vxl (didn’t know squat about rc and it was recommend over and over again), but was talked into this rig. mainly wanted it for my dog to chase in nearby field, so salesman says mega is plenty fast.

it was faster than i anticipated and i am having a ton of fun, but unfortunately my dog is faster than it on grass and once she catches up to it, she loses interest. she doesn’t care to destroy, she is all about the chase. so now i’m on the mission to upgrade as well. i too regret not getting a brushless rig, but i also enjoy tinkering, so i consider this a crash course in rc that i wouldn’t have received if i had gotten the brushless one.

trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible and also trying to compile a list of parts. looks like i’ll being buying pretty much the same items as you listed. any idea how much quicker your wife’s newly converted senton is compared to when it was stock? any issues you have run into? any other parts you have bought not listed on your original post?

also, thanks for documenting your build with all the parts. much appreciated.
Yes the absorption of the knowledge seems never ending. Seems like it’s hard to gain a grasp of what’s going on at first but after just diving in it seems to help a lot.
unfortunately I still have not made the conversion on my wife’s vehicle, life stuff just put that on pause for a little bit. I actually planned on starting this tomorrow. So I am unable to speak on the difference. However on my Granite it is a whole new beast, it wasn’t even close to lifting the wheel off the ground before, now it seems like I can do wheelies on command. I would assume the Senton to be the same beast. As far as problem, no problems with the exception of not having all or correct parts. But I’m going to do you a favor and list, what I believe, to be the complete Senton V3 to brushless parts list. I will mention the motor and esc separately with their brands, but you may use whichever brand you choose.
Senton V3 brushless:
- Hobbywing EZrun 3660SL 3200KV motor
- Max10 SCT ESC
- XT90 connectors (if you use th
- Hobbywing LED Program Card
- aluminum motor mount set ARA311032
- slipper clutch set 57t 0.8 mod ARA311034
- 20t pinion gear ARA310876
- BLX Slipper shaft red ARAAR310881
( I ended up using my mega slipper clutch shaft and cutting it to make it work in the mean time, but this is the correct part needed. Along with the next part listed)
- Slipper clutch maintenance set ARA311033
- wheelie bar set ARA320420 ( haven’t received this yet, not sure if this is the whole assembly for the Senton. I assume it will be but can’t give that the 100% yet)

That’s pretty much the entire list, I bought some metal 57t spur gears for when the original plastic ones shred, and having that, you will need the extra slipper clutch pads. But if you don’t want the metal gear you are good to go with the list above. I will list the additional part just for your reference.
- slipper pad ARA310994
-57t metal spur gear ARA310945

Again I will be doing this tomorrow so ask questions if you have them. I will try to take a detailed build to go over the Senton process. My best advice is to just jump into it. I was worried at first to break something. But most parts are so inexpensive it’s not really a hard lesson, so to speak. The biggest down fall is the time to wait for the parts. It’s worth the move and it’s fun as hell to drive now. But I will admit, if I would’ve just bought the BLX I would’ve saved money. Live and learn though. Have fun and Bash on!

Ok, so the Senton V3 mega to brushless is completed. Below will be the pictures of the conversion. Most will not be accompanied with descriptions but there is a few that I feel will need some explanation or just insight of what i did. Enjoy and thank you all for the help, I really could not have made it to this point without everyones posts and recommendations.

45AFA008-033F-4F45-BBE6-81A0E7A26E0F.jpeg

229EDD9D-8D17-4D16-BACF-102BF036FA17.jpeg
ADAD1069-01CC-44DB-B781-02116C3C24DF.jpeg

F8308311-061D-45CC-B1F9-8EECFB9A8A3A.jpeg

I reused the back plate from the original motor mount that way I do have to press out the bearing and put it back into the new plate. Plus they are exactly the same so I figure when it goes back I will put on in the new one and replace at that point.
59839C50-851F-4576-881A-3C0ACE24BEBF.jpeg
3784ED3C-510E-4395-A133-F7A368DA9665.jpeg
5E73E8EC-9CCB-4BA1-9C0C-FCAB36538878.jpeg

so at this point you will need to take apart the mega spur assembly to use the bearing in the new aluminum motor mount. To do this you just need to remove the red plastic nut and disassemble. The red nut isn’t on too tight, I was able to remove with just my hands. I reassembled after I took the bearing, word of advise get some tweezers or needle noses, that little locking pin is a PITA. Once you have the bearing, place it on the new slipper clutch and put it into the aluminum motor mount, doing it this way makes it easier and ensures it goes in even.
381FF80C-0048-49A3-BB99-96C6253CBB6B.jpeg
781D2A65-3EBA-48B6-9A8A-3C34E07CB711.jpeg
EDFC4FB3-673D-4580-B7EF-33A683C8AE76.jpeg
940A2471-E76F-45A0-8E6C-BEF69F947A69.jpeg
120DC4BC-9618-4DB6-8279-63073C85B1C9.jpeg
2542C50A-BC57-41C6-9E0C-4784A38AAA4F.jpeg

D2D5178A-F49D-48DE-97F7-A71B2FAC3301.jpeg
7874A66A-EB84-480D-B673-EDB7134D482A.jpeg

So this is why the BLX slipper shaft and slipper clutch maintenance kit are needed. Place the red shaft into the slipper clutch and then the black sleeve over the slipper clutch. This hold the shaft into the slipper clutch assembly. Honestly the black sleeve probably isn’t needed, but that’s what it’s for so why not add it.
E1F38085-EE72-416E-B4F0-FB957F1E3CF5.jpeg
6BF3B9E7-E495-494C-9111-6940FED3C8F6.jpeg
3B03E226-5C9B-463D-ABAB-0A951BF98209.jpeg

After the red shaft is installed it’s just the drive line and the battery and then your RTR. This is relatively easy and even with me taking care of the kids and taking pictures I think this was about an hour install. Take your time and have fun. This really makes me happy to do this and I hope it will help someone in the future. Happy Bashing!

Last edited:
oh man, thanks so much for all the detailed information. i cant wait to start compiling parts for my upgrade. right now im in the middle of renovating my office, but as soon as im finished with this, ill definitely be more focused on my senton. i took my stock rig out today and slapped an old iphone on it to see how fast it really goes. im not sure how accurate this method really is, but the phone logged it as 22mph on pavement and 17mph on grass.

seeing that i own 2 weimaraners, 1 thats 13 yrs old and 1 thats 2 yrs old, i never really thought about how fast they are able to run. i was blown away after google said they are one of the fastest breeds and are capable of reaching speeds of 35mph. i definitely need more speed for my 2 yr old.

thanks again for all the info!

oh man, thanks so much for all the detailed information. i cant wait to start compiling parts for my upgrade. right now im in the middle of renovating my office, but as soon as im finished with this, ill definitely be more focused on my senton. i took my stock rig out today and slapped an old iphone on it to see how fast it really goes. im not sure how accurate this method really is, but the phone logged it as 22mph on pavement and 17mph on grass.

seeing that i own 2 weimaraners, 1 thats 13 yrs old and 1 thats 2 yrs old, i never really thought about how fast they are able to run. i was blown away after google said they are one of the fastest breeds and are capable of reaching speeds of 35mph. i definitely need more speed for my 2 yr old.

thanks again for all the info!
I haven’t added up the parts so I don’t know the price tag, but it’s definitely around the $200 mark.
What app did you use to monitor speeds? I finally got a GoPro mount, so once I widen my Granite I will start recording video.
And my Dobie goes crazy when he sees me play with mine, but he’s a destroyer so I’m afraid to let him chase the cars. Not sure how fast he is but he’s crack my Comcast remote after one chomp lol

i just downloaded one of the first apps i saw, named very creatively as "speedometer." i also want to put one of my gopros on my truck to video my dog hunting it. i don't have the new hero 8, so im sure its going to be nauseating watching the crazy bumpy footage.

Ok, let’s update on the Granite:
I purchased all the parts to widen the Granite because with the new motor setup it would always flip over on sharp turns. I figured this would be the best route to go because not only would it help the drive ability, but I would also get to update my A Arms and get a sick looking ride.
I will now list the parts to do this:
-RPM Typhon A Arms
Front: 80762
Rear: 80842
-Typhon Turn buckles x3 ARAAR340070
- Rod end set ARAAR330470
- Pivot ball set 4x4 ARAAR330515

Turnbuckle front: 82mm
Turnbuckle rear: 80mm
Turnbuckle steering: 69mm

Now for the pictures. It’s pretty straight forward on install, so again I will just blow up the thread with pictures. Enjoy and please ask questions if you need to.

33CAA553-F59F-4C3F-B8CD-643977639636.jpeg

A8D4BBF7-12E5-4ADB-981C-E58BF1BF0FFC.jpeg

AD2D9485-3CEF-4664-8C59-E94375AC168C.jpeg

5831B037-EF22-4A18-9A3B-E079BE25D1EE.jpeg

DCE87889-2D67-43B4-ABE9-7DDA4C29F549.jpeg

D82B8A8C-83BB-4A3F-9B33-DF34AA171BB8.jpeg

77AC3DB5-4B6D-4668-A383-06BD4BB367E2.jpeg

96E8C5B8-A4F6-4C2A-9926-C41BCB69BC7B.jpeg

6F3E7988-0065-4E3E-A509-235F88603D03.jpeg

C5F08A05-D32E-442C-A4C0-0ABB64363234.jpeg

2298990B-AF0F-4871-8FCD-D727EAED014A.jpeg

So this was about the point where I said “eff-it” and adjusted the turnbuckles kinda sloppy. I was thinking, eh that good enough. But as you can see, it was not. At this point I was 9PM and I was going to bed.
Also I adjusted the front and back to 82mm and the steering arms to 69mm. I after realized that it was not correct and the back needed major adjustment. After inquiring within, some one told me to re adjust the rear to 79-80mm. So when I pulled the back and actually measured the eye to eye, it was way off, so I measure the rear to 80mm and double checked the front. ( they were all off, by a lot lol)
Once I fixed the measurement it looks a lot better, a little more fine tuning, but all in all happy with the results.
2298990B-AF0F-4871-8FCD-D727EAED014A.jpeg

5413D1D2-86C7-4936-AC42-AA9812BE27E0.jpeg

206687C0-CF51-4C11-8C90-EAECCDE33D35.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back