Hobao/Scorched RC VTE Speed Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diem Turner

Yes...I have a Premium Member
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
So I'm beginning to piece together my VTE. To recap the parts already installed, we have:

Scorched RC CF GT Chassis
Scorched RC Ti Spool
Scorched RC Ti Center Drive Shafts, Dog Bones & CVDs
Scorched RC Diff Lockers F/R

So this is what we're working with:
1669393879109.jpeg

First up I installed a Futaba CB500 Servo.
1669393407376.jpeg

Next up, I removed the electronics box from the original chassis. Upon inspection I noticed that the mounting screws have the same spacing as the servo mounting screws which made it a super simple install.
1669393495923.jpeg

Unfortunately my 42T pinion was just a hair too big to fit so I completed the spool with a 39T Arrma gear. I put some small rubber shims in the diff cups to eliminate drive shaft movement.
1669393615695.jpeg

For testing purposes, I've decided to install the Spektrum 4074 motor that came with my Infraction. This will change at a later date but for now I'm sure this will do just fine. Pinion is a 28T.
1669393749614.jpeg

More to follow soon.

I didn't like where the body posts lined up in the body so I installed the carbon fiber shock towers (the rear one is wider than the stock tower) and temporarily affixed the Spektrum 150A ESC that I'll be using for initial testing.
1669430688487.jpeg
1669430699191.jpeg
1669430717105.jpeg

Alright, the body is rough cut. I still need to do a little trim work on the wheel wells, but the big stuff is done. I'm still working out a paint scheme but it's not going to be anything spectacular. Just something loud and easy to see.
1669515319747.jpeg
1669515404726.jpeg

That thing is amazing!!! Beautiful. You gonna start it out on 3s?
Thanks man. I think I'm going to do initial testing on 4S. Once I have everything dialed, trimmed and ready for some serious passes, yes. I'll be starting on 3S again. I haven't given up with the Infraction yet on 3S but I want to mount an assault for the podium on 3S with this. :)

I got lost looking for this in the speed demons section.
Is this in the regular build section because it will be a track car also?

The car looks killer so far!
lol...no, I put it in the RC Build Logs section so that I could finally finish up my "AF to-do-list". I got tired of being stuck at 80% and posting it in Speed Demons (which is where I posted my other build log) doesn't register with the system as a build log even though it's a sub-section of RC Build Logs.

But I do intend to run this at the track as well next year. I think I'll even go back to the original chassis for when I do. I like the small footprint and simplified layout of it.

Thanks bro, I appreciate it! I'm really loving this car already and I haven't even driven it yet.

You should get video of it at the track when you go. Any thoughts on color fir the body. The dome gt has always caught my eye as a potential good speed body ,but I bet it's even better on a track. It looks like full car downforce lol.

You should get video of it at the track when you go. Any thoughts on color fir the body. The dome gt has always caught my eye as a potential good speed body ,but I bet it's even better on a track. It looks like full car downforce lol.
I'll definitely take videos when I'm there. You can bet on that :)

I think it's going to be pink with some accents. I have to admit, I'm a big fan of pink paint jobs.

I'm very curious to see how this body does. It does look a lot like the Serpent style 1/8 on-road bodies, just with a bigger driver canopy. I guess we'll find out in the coming months. :)

That is one sexy build, man! I’m envious of the much better center shaft alignment as opposed to the ridiculously high center misalignment that we Arrma guys are stuck with. Beautiful, man! (I also was keeping my eye on Speed Demons, so thanks for the link!)
Total SWB madness baby, yeah!

Alright, the body is rough cut. I still need to do a little trim work on the wheel wells, but the big stuff is done. I'm still working out a paint scheme but it's not going to be anything spectacular. Just something loud and easy to see.
View attachment 258706View attachment 258707
Pure awesomeness, is this the dome body,go pink,lol.. been looking at the 328wb gtse hobao roller for next season.do you know is the 2.66 diffs will fit these smaller habao's?sweet build

Pure awesomeness, is this the dome body,go pink,lol.. been looking at the 328wb gtse hobao roller for next season.do you know is the 2.66 diffs will fit these smaller habao's?sweet build
Thanks bro. Yeah, this is the Dome body. It will probably be pink :)

As for the diffs, I'm not sure, but I think so. This comes with the same stock diffs as the VTE2 so it stands to reason that it should also accept the 2.66 diff gears. But I'm just speculating. I'm just going to stick with the 3.3 diffs. Maybe I'll switch to the 2.66 later on down the road.
So how does it feel having a second child I mean car 😊
I'm a bit overwhelmed but I'm going to do my best not to favor one over the other :LOL:

Thanks bro. Yeah, this is the Dome body. It will probably be pink :)

As for the diffs, I'm not sure, but I think so. This comes with the same stock diffs as the VTE2 so it stands to reason that it should also accept the 2.66 diff gears. But I'm just speculating. I'm just going to stick with the 3.3 diffs. Maybe I'll switch to the 2.66 later on down the road.

I'm a bit overwhelmed but I'm going to do my best not to favor one over the other :LOL:

For what it is worth I am still on the 3.3 diffs with my car.
James told me the lower diff ratio isn't really needed till you reach 170 mph.

For what it is worth I am still on the 3.3 diffs with my car.
James told me the lower diff ratio isn't really needed till you reach 170 mph.
Yeah, that was my gut instinct as well. I ran some hypothetical speed calculations and I wasn't seeing any crazy gearing even for 155mph on 4S so I didn't see any pressing need to swap out the diff gears.

I am curious to see how this thing runs with the diff lockers. I've only ever run open diffs with relatively low viscosities up to this point. I'm glad I have the original diffs if I find it not to be to my liking.

Yeah, that was my gut instinct as well. I ran some hypothetical speed calculations and I wasn't seeing any crazy gearing even for 155mph on 4S so I didn't see any pressing need to swap out the diff gears.

I am curious to see how this thing runs with the diff lockers. I've only ever run open diffs with relatively low viscosities up to this point. I'm glad I have the original diffs if I find it not to be to my liking.
I tried silly putty on the Typhon 6s and hated it. The car was unstable above 90mph.
Hopefully you have a better experience. I was on a concrete road with some groves that likely played a part.

I tried silly putty on the Typhon 6s and hated it. The car was unstable above 90mph.
Hopefully you have a better experience. I was on a concrete road with some groves that likely played a part.
I hope so too but, we'll see. I suspect that I'll probably be going back to diffs but I'm eager to see what they feel like on the road as I've never run them before.

I hope so too but, we'll see. I suspect that I'll probably be going back to diffs but I'm eager to see what they feel like on the road as I've never run them before.
If you beat me to the punch on the road test I’ll be eagerly anticipating your feedback. Pretty sure I’m staying with diffs. It’s all I know.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back