Hobao VTE2 build log

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think I’m overthinking this…
just watched James McCoys 2028 run on the hobao and he ran 180 on the stock chassis so I’m just going to assume that rear mount is perfectly fine….
Of course it is. You're definitely overthinking this :)

It's coming along nicely. I'm about 85% done with this chassis. The scorched CF is still on its way so I'll try to get it dialed in on the stock chassis before transferring it to the new chassis. I've got the futaba temperature sensor, castle telemetry, and Gyro hooked up to an sbus hub on the outside of the receiver box. The computer fan is plugged into the receiver slot #1. Since the servo goes directly to the gyro, it was being unused. I have the 2 ESC plugs going into ports 2 and 3. I plan on getting some loom to clean up the wiring and make it look a little cleaner but I think this is pretty close to the final product. Now I have to order a C100 body and paint it.

IMG_8116.jpeg

IMG_8117.jpeg

IMG_8118.jpeg

IMG_8119.jpeg

Finally got the scorched CF chassis and the FC100. I think I'll follow @Diem Turner 's advice and do the testing on the stock chassis and once I get things dialed in I'll transfer the electronics to the scorched. I have to say, everything that I read about the scorched CF chassis is true. The quality and workmanship of this is incredible.

IMG_8152.jpg

Making some progress...
I mapped the motor, ESCs and battery placement. Although I anticipate running 4S in parallel, I wanted to give myself the option of running 6S in series and I have some rather long CNHL 3S 9500s so I placed the battery straps 185 mm apart. I don't want to drill too many holes so just putting buckles in the front and back. BTW, the scorched buckles are pretty nice because they can also serve as a template for drilling.

IMG_8186.jpg

IMG_8188.jpg

IMG_8189.jpg

IMG_8187.jpg

Liberty,
Thanks!
are there any other shock or spring options for this car?
The Diaz springs are what I and @vwturbowolf have on our VTE2 cars. They are sold on Island hobby nut's website.
They work good.

Also heard you can take limitless springs and grind the inside a hair with a dremmel to make them fit.

Honestly, I like the limitless springs better for how they feel, but have not tried that mod to make them fit and am unsure if it truly works or not.

The Diaz springs are what I and @vwturbowolf have on our VTE2 cars. They are sold on Island hobby nut's website.
They work good.

Also heard you can take limitless springs and grind the inside a hair with a dremmel to make them fit.

Honestly, I like the limitless springs better for how they feel, but have not tried that mod to make them fit and am unsure if it truly works or not.
I looked on the islandhobbynut site and didn't find VTE2 springs, only VT/VTE. Are they cross compatible?

VTE & VTE2 diffs and spools are cross compatible, I suspect that the shocks are as well.
They are, and I also emailed island hobby to confirm about the springs
I looked on the islandhobbynut site and didn't find VTE2 springs, only VT/VTE. Are they cross compatible?

They are, and I also emailed island hobby to confirm about the springs

All of these hobby shops need better websites. I am sort of OCD about that.
I'd probably spend a fortune on a website because I would want it to be well setup.

All of these hobby shops need better websites. I am sort of OCD about that.
I'd probably spend a fortune on a website because I would want it to be well setup.
Yeah, too many shops either don't care enough to sort their stuff properly, index it and make it searchable, or they don't know how to do it correctly themselves and either don't have or aren't willing to spend the money on someone that can. They probably figure that as long as their selling their inventory...is the money invested in making their web Shop top notch really going to result in a commensurate rise in sales of units? It might, but I suspect that on its face they think probably not.

That's why I wrote a German shop I found that has the most immaculately and accurately kept inventory a long email praising their online shop. Not only is is well sorted, the most amazing thing was that of their inventory (of which there is a lot) I'd guesstimate that 99.9%+ is in stock. I spend two or three hours perusing their shop and in that time I didn't come across a single article that wasn't in stock. I'm not saying I looked at ALL of their inventory, but I did look through a sizeable amount and in all my time browsing online shops, that has never happened before. Typically it's the item I'm looking for that isn't in stock....at least 60% of the time. It was really impressive.

Yeah, too many shops either don't care enough to sort their stuff properly, index it and make it searchable, or they don't know how to do it correctly themselves and either don't have or aren't willing to spend the money on someone that can. They probably figure that as long as their selling their inventory...is the money invested in making their web Shop top notch really going to result in a commensurate rise in sales of units? It might, but I suspect that on its face they think probably not.

That's why I wrote a German shop I found that has the most immaculately and accurately kept inventory a long email praising their online shop. Not only is is well sorted, the most amazing thing was that of their inventory (of which there is a lot) I'd guesstimate that 99.9%+ is in stock. I spend two or three hours perusing their shop and in that time I didn't come across a single article that wasn't in stock. I'm not saying I looked at ALL of their inventory, but I did look through a sizeable amount and in all my time browsing online shops, that has never happened before. Typically it's the item I'm looking for that isn't in stock....at least 60% of the time. It was really impressive.

Exactly! Things like a good product description, and multiple pictures. One example I saw recently and I won't name the hobby shop.... LiPos had no description, dimensions, weight, and other technical specs. I still bought them because of what they are, but still, those details should be there.

Exactly! Things like a good product description, and multiple pictures. One example I saw recently and I won't name the hobby shop.... LiPos had no description, dimensions, weight, and other technical specs. I still bought them because of what they are, but still, those details should be there.
Oh I almost forgot...that was the even better best thing about this online shop. Their products all had personalized description that you could tell were not just copy pasted from the manufacturers website, some other website, a brochure, blurbs, etc...they were written by the staff and included useful information as to specific things to look out for, required accessories, personal accounts of how to best use something and even humorous banter like, "The girl in the picture is our intern Jasmine...she is not included in the 59,95€ price tag which is for the kit only." and stuff like that. Seriously, if not the best web shop full stop, definitely the best RC web shop. Full stop.

Oh I almost forgot...that was the even better best thing about this online shop. Their products all had personalized description that you could tell were not just copy pasted from the manufacturers website, some other website, a brochure, blurbs, etc...they were written by the staff and included useful information as to specific things to look out for, required accessories, personal accounts of how to best use something and even humorous banter like, "The girl in the picture is our intern Jasmine...she is not included in the 59,95€ price tag which is for the kit only." and stuff like that. Seriously, if not the best web shop full stop, definitely the best RC web shop. Full stop.
Seems like you found a good one. Those sorts of shops are the ones I'll gladly pay $5 more for their product to support versus another option that costs. less.

Seems like you found a good one. Those sorts of shops are the ones I'll gladly pay $5 more for their product to support versus another option that costs. less.
IKR? They're always well stocked in high end kits as well. ARC, Serpent, Mugen, BURI, XRAY...man, I could just gush about them all day, lol....

Dunno why, but today I suddenly developed a penchant for 1/12 pan cars and they have a really comprehensive selection of some really nice ones like this CRC CarpetKnife Twenty5...but getting something like this right now would really be opening up a whole new can of worms as none of the gear that I have would be of any use for them. But still...they just look like an ascetic Spartan hermit. Not a scintilla of material that isn't needed.
1671142809376.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back