Limitless Hobao VTE2 builds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Limitless
  3. Mojave EXB
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 3s
  7. Vendetta
I’ll post the VTE2 builds here that I’ve been running to lay out everything with the cars so far.

Build 1
vte2 slider, I then added:
Hobao option carbon chassis
EMP front axles
EMP rear axles
Iron man rc motor mount
Joe Diaz 50lb springs
1 mill front 500k rear fluids in diffs
40/15 optional 2.66 ratio gears in diffs
Fc100 body
Extended carbon skirts
Xlx2
4070scm for initial tests and 3s runs
4070 2250kv for a couple 3s-4s passes
4070cm 8s —— will go back in my vendetta eventually
4070svm 8s — continuing with this motor to a goal of 180mph
3s — 122mph
4s — 131mph
8s — 175mph 4070cm
8s — 172mph 4070svm

7FDF1BDF-B896-49DB-8D83-6BC44CD1F9D4.jpeg

——————

So far my first hobao setup is still running its original input bearings, with over 20 runs ranging 120-175mph I’d say the bearing maintenance situation is greatly reduced

——————

My overall review on the suspension of the car is that for the most part everything is solid but the play that the arms have out of the box should be addressed prior to speedrunning,

I have added nylon washers between the control arm pins and retaining plates to keep them from shifting.
A couple joints I had to fill with superglue here and there as I do on other builds and it works well. (Fill with glue to remove slop, before glue is totally cured break it loose then let it set the rest of the way

Build 2

I decided to dedicate a second VTE2 chassis to only 3-4s runs because I like this chassis so much.
I collected parts all sourced thru EMperformance to build basically a clone of my first setup but decided to run the PPS mount instead which is definitely a better option for easy removal of the spool.
Went with the hobao optional axles as well instead of the slightly heavier duty EMP ones since it’s gonna be a lower voltage car.

The rest is similar:
40/15 gears
Xlx2
Will be running Ram jam racing driveshafts soon
Optional carbon chassis
Widened side plates
Using the same fc100 body as the other build
Same joe Diaz springs

The plan for the motor came from my curiosity of building a 3-4s rated 4070cm which was ordered thru Onyx RC Power Systems.

Goals for this car: 130-140 on 3s and 150 on 4s

69A37AFE-6580-4864-8532-901E648A81A9.jpeg

42D75713-5C76-48D1-8A5B-CCC91258371D.jpeg

00DE9FF2-CB1E-479A-9CFD-6A2B4893C203.jpeg

40FD22E1-0B3F-4BBF-98C6-8A4EB30985A0.jpeg

I’ll continue to update both these builds in here as well as the ‘3-4s challenges’ and ‘how fast we went today’

Bonus Time:

One last thing,
When I was talking to Scorched I was going over goals and future plans and we got to talking more.
While I have a bunch of other builds I’m focused on this year I decided to plan for a winter build kind of like I did with the Dual Motor Limitless this past season.

I decided that I would build a Dual Motor Hobao VTE2.
The scorched roto-lok mount will be ready in about 4 more weeks and I am going to pair that with the full length hobao Scorched chassis
And the new WR Delta plastic body.
Motors will be 4070cm and this will likely become my dedicated 8s dual motor car and then I can keep the Dual Limitless on lower 4-6s voltages since I feel the hobao platform with perform better.
Here’s the chassis but I will likely wait until winter to tackle anything on this as I’ll need another roller to start assembly but for now enjoy some carbon parts.

D792A430-A136-4FE5-8AA0-7A4FAFCA9AC9.jpeg

Last edited:
Build 2 is under way,

The only thing that isn’t like the rest for me quality wise on the vte2 chassis are the plastic steering links that hat are held together by the metal cross piece.
They have a sort of double barrel connecting bolt that has a lot of play in it and can translate to slop in the steering especially noticeable at lower speeds until the car gets locked in with aero and downforce.
Unfortunately there isn’t a metal replacement yet, so I attempted to fill it with loc tite then broke it look after it cured to fill in some of the slop.
E49DE7D4-82EC-444C-A04C-34833AC5CEE7.jpeg

Shimmed the hub bearings with one shim because I noticed on my first build I didn’t do this and there is a little play in the hexes.
Also installed the optional Hobao front axles
1302D3F3-D78A-4199-B438-D3FA0FF4BA01.jpeg

DF975A19-2ACD-481C-BECE-C284C6CE6C8F.jpeg
Front end should be together today

I have currently installed a great motor that I still want to test more is a straight 4070 2250kv.
I ran it in the other hobao for one session, rated at 22v I believe. Until the custom 4070cm comes I’ll do initial testing with this motor

2322B7E3-8D4C-4277-AD9A-0BC5D2131814.jpeg

Very nice build!

My VTE2 is still running the stock GT chassis. I seem to have plenty of space, if not for running dual motor (yet) i do wonder what makes you run the widened side plates?
Mainly so I can just tape the body to the chassis down the sides.
It is just my preference.
I could do side posts but I like taping the sides better

Mainly so I can just tape the body to the chassis down the sides.
It is just my preference.
I could do side posts but I like taping the sides better
Now you mention it, the VTE2 is slidely less wide indeed (currently running the grafil body / which is less wide compared to DP)

Taping is certainly the strongest solution, but consumes a lot of tape. On my limitless and VTE1 i've switched to using roughed-up duallock (also at the front). I liked using magnets before too as it pulls the body directly to the right position. But they wont hold on higher speeds due the lack of surface area. Dual lock holds great even without bodyclips.

1664725432991.png

1664725460595.png

Now you mention it, the VTE2 is slidely less wide indeed (currently running the grafil body / which is less wide compared to DP)

Taping is certainly the strongest solution, but consumes a lot of tape. On my limitless and VTE1 i've switched to using roughed-up duallock (also at the front). I liked using magnets before too as it pulls the body directly to the right position. But they wont hold on higher speeds due the lack of surface area. Dual lock holds great even without bodyclips.

View attachment 247392
View attachment 247393
The Velcro on the side looks like it works out good. I may try that on the WR body once I start on that build this winter. 👍

3-4s build almost ready for testing.
New motors showed up today for both hobaos,
Now I have a couple extra motors as well, the 4070svm I had in the 8s hobao may end up getting thrown into my vendetta now that I have a titanium driveshaft and a spool coming for that car that should hold the power.

A1B7C1C0-FEEF-4A19-90C4-2AA54A3E4BC6.jpeg
20AC4F2C-F0F3-44F7-9F4B-B251BA087A65.jpeg
BA61290A-143C-43F4-8A47-E3D1F32442C5.jpeg

Started to tinker away at the dual hobao build a little bit tonight. Working on my game plan the WR body,
Probably work on getting that all cut out, then get the ride height of the chassis sorted then final fit the body
View attachment 254837
Building that body is so much work 😫
Then I didn't like how floppy parts were so it was followed by fiberglassing.

Still floppy after it’s all bolted together? I’ll probably stiffen it up as well then
Yep just a lot of long flat surfaces on that body that make it a bit floppy. James told me the front makes so much downforce it can cave in so I made sure to put extra in that area too.

I am still on the fence about how well it performs. I hope once I get our to run 4s I can compare it against the FC100 more.

Second pass with one of the hobao builds running the 1721motor on 6s.
First pass was 149.
This motor I put into my 3-4s build and I left the 180mph 4080 build untouched.
I can always swapped this setup back to the custom 4070cm if I want to.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back