Hobbystar 150a esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTF MIKE

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I need a new esc for my outcast. My stock one just flashes green 4 times then repeats it I do get steering. I’ve tried everything it’s just doesn’t respond. I have a hobbystar motor 2000kv I am looking at the hobbystar 150a esc or the max8 from hobbywing. I read a lot about the max8 haven’t read anything on hs. Does anyone have experience with the hobby star? I’d like some feedback and guidance please

mine did the same thing when I severed the servo wire from esc right by servo...I since tape the poop out of that area....

I dunno... hobbystar has fantastic motor and batteries but it’s kinda hard to screw those up... I would get a castle for an esc. I recommend the mm2 or mxl 6s from Traxxas or the hpi ELC-6S (wHaTeVeR mm2 rebrand you can find)

I have a Max6. I have not had it long but so far I really like it. Besides being 8S it is very easy to program with the Hobbywing card

Well, here we are a little over a year later.
Today I noticed that this ESC the thread is about is on sale, so I came here to ask about it and didnt find much info.
In the year since this was posted, has anyone used one of these?
The sale price is almost too good not to get one to test out.

Personally, I wouldn't get the HS 150A as I don't think it's waterproof. I just put a max6 in my ERBEv2 with the arrma blx2050kv motor and it did really well on it's first bash on 6S. Will soon be putting the same in my outcast.

Personally, I wouldn't get the HS 150A as I don't think it's waterproof. I just put a max6 in my ERBEv2 with the arrma blx2050kv motor and it did really well on it's first bash on 6S. Will soon be putting the same in my outcast.
Righto, but it is sensored so there’s a little bit of a good thing.

Since Google is date blind I thought i would at least give some of the deetz I know and experience I can share.
Hobbystar, Surpass, RocketRC, Turnigy, HobbyWing & HobbyKing are some of the brand names owned by Shenzhen Electronics Group Co Ltd. China is NOT a free market system and so they only buy brand names so they can sell outside their borders.
That said the Shenzhen production plant is absolutely massive! I have seen it first hand when I worked with Operation Smile 😃.
The diffrent brand's products are manufactured by machine and man, the human workforce is divided into groups by way of experience and quality of workmanship. In this way we get the new and less skilled workers making products using lesser quality components in case they mess something up. These products are sold under names like HobbyQueen, Dilwe, or no brand name at all !
The better skilled labor force manufacture using higher quality components and these better products have skilled solder joints and are obviously well made. They get the more refined firmwares, faster & more powerful processors, and even get Turbo & Boost functionality in their programming options. These products are sold under brand names like HobbyWing, RocketRC, and the brand asked about HobbyStar; as well as sold to major brands and are manufactured using those brands implied design updates, upgrades, downgrades, and proprietary plugs/firmwares/& protocols.
I own several Hobbywing , HobbyKing, RocketRC & Hobbystar motors and ESCs. I have the HobbyStar unsensored 80a 100a, 120a and also the 150a Pro Sensored ESCs. I also own the RocketRC dark blue 60a USB unsensored, unsensored 80a and 150a, and the touring 2-3s Sensored Pro 160a. And also HobbyKing's X-Car 80a and several X-Car 120a ESCs which can upgrade to XeRun 3.1 firmware and a bunch of their purple Turnigy XK Handwound inrunner motors.
I have had zero issues with any of these products and all compare Even Steven with my comparable HobbyWing models. They all can exchange programming cards as well. And they all share the same motor temp sensor connector and I can confirm the temp sensor in the ESCs all work across all the brand's motors.

I really like Hobbystar and RCJuice is where I get all my Hobbystar products. I find the Hobbystar motors compare well with my castle motors and the very well made purple Turnigy XK handwound inrunners.
They Quality of Hobbystar products is obvious and the performance you get is far above what you pay for so their value is inherent! If you want to bash on a budget go for a Hobbystar esc or motor or both. You should not be dissatisfied.

Best example I can think of to show Hobbystar's quality and value is that their 100amp sensorless ESC is 4s capable, not limited to 3s like most manufacturers. The sensorless Hobbystar 120 amp is 6s capable unlike most 120 amp ESCs. That alone should show the performance per dollar value I find in HobbyStar products.

Good luck shopping, good luck bashing and racing and may your RCz run forever, never break, always kik butt and look bad a$$ while doing it!

\(-_•)/

Last edited:
Since Google is date blind I thought i would at least give some of the deetz I know and experience I can share.
Hobbystar, Surpass, RocketRC, Turnigy, HobbyWing & HobbyKing are some of the brand names owned by Shenzhen Electronics Group Co Ltd. China is NOT a free market system and so they only buy brand names so they can sell outside their borders.
That said the Shenzhen production plant is absolutely massive! I have seen it first hand when I worked with Operation Smile 😃.
The diffrent brand's products are manufactured by machine and man, the human workforce is divided into groups by way of experience and quality of workmanship. In this way we get the new and less skilled workers making products using lesser quality components in case the mess something up. These products are sold under names like HobbyQueen, Dilwe, or no brand name at all !
The better skilled labor force manufacture using higher quality components and these better products have skilled solder joints and are obviously well made. They get the more refined firmwares, faster & more powerful processors, and even get Turbo & Boost functionality in their programming options. These products are sold under brand names like HobbyWing, RocketRC, and the brand asked about HobbyStar.
I own several Hobbywing , HobbyKing, RocketRC & Hobbystar motors and ESCs. I have the unsensored 80a 100a, 120a and also the 150a Pro Sensored ESCs. I also own the RocketRC 60a Sensored, unsensored 80a and 150a, and 9the 2-3s Sensored Pro 160a. And also HobbyKing's X-Car 80a and 120a and a bunch of their purple Turnigy XK Handwound inrunner motors.
I have had zero issues with any of these products and all compare Even Steven with my comparable HobbyWing models. They all can exchange programming cards as well. And they all share the same motor temp sensor connector and I can confirm the temp sensor in the ESCs all work across all the brand's motors.

I really like Hobbystar and RCJuice is where I get all my Hobbystar products. I find the Hobbystar motors compare with my castle motors and Turnigy XK handwound inrunners.
They Quality of Hobbystar products is obvious and the performance you get is far above what you pay for so the value is inherent! If you want to bash on a budget go for a Hobbystar esc or motor or both. You should not be dissatisfied.

Best example I can think of to show Hobbystar's quality and value is that their 100amp sensorless ESC is 4s capable, not limited to.3s like most manufacturers. The sensorless Hobbystar 120 amp is 6s capable unlike most 120 amp ESCs. That alone should show the performance per dollar value I find in HobbyStar products.

Good luck shopping, good luck bashing and racing amd may your RCz run forever, never break, always kik but and look bad a$$ while doing it!

\(-_•)/

Isn't Hobbywing owned by Falcon Sekido?

If the Surpass/Rocket RC escs are so good why are they so notorious for starting on fire especially the 60a and 80a units when run on 3s? I was on a Facebook group for a while for a cheap Chinese car and everyone bought those Surpass 60a and 80a combos as a brushless upgrade and every day someone was posting pictures or video of their esc on fire. Why are they advertised as being waterproof when they aren't even splash proof?

Im sorry but I have a hard time trusting these "off brand" escs when they use false advertising right off the batt. I'll stick to my Hobbywing OEM and retail or Castle escs. I've been burned one too many times by these off brand escs to put any faith in them. I would rather use a Traxxas esc in all honesty.

Yes I see the Hobbystar esc is now on V2 but I still cannot bring myself to trust them for some reason. And as evident by this forum, other forums. all of the Facebook groups I'm on others are weary of them as well as I do not see that many people try them. I see more people using those blue Tsky "120a" escs than anything else

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back