Hobbystar 4082 2000kv - dead?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Does this looked cooked to you? Motor stopped mid jump. At first I thought it was a seized bearing in the diff. It wasn't. Motor will turn under power but not easily and immediately stops when the throttle is let go off. I opened it up and this doesn't look good ?

20190827_155429.jpg

Just add a drop of lube. It will be fine.:ROFLMAO:
The Arm delaminated big time.(y)

RCJuice states that the rotor is replaceable on the motor but I've looked and can't find the part number or replacement rotor anywhere

Just add a drop of lube. It will be fine.:ROFLMAO:
The Arm delaminated big time.(y)
You know I was never thrilled with this motor from Day 1. I had already had the Hobbystar 4092 1730 kv in my Kraton and I thought it would be too long for my Notorious. So I opted for the 4082 2000kv instead. It always ran hot which is most likely why it met it's untimely end. I'm going to go back to stock electronics in my Noto. It doesn't need much more for that I do with it. The Max6 will go into my Infraction. Now the question is which motor do I run in the Infraction? I'm not looking for a speed runner. I'm a parking lot drifter. Does anyone know if the 4092 will fit without flipping the mount? If so, maybe I run the lower KV version and the speed pinion that came with the truck. That might work out nice. Any other suggestions?
RCJuice states that the rotor is replaceable on the motor but I've looked and can't find the part number or replacement rotor anywhere
I don't want to replace it. I thought the motor was sh!try. I'm going back to the BLX for my Noto and putting the Max6 in my Infraction. So I need a motor for that.

I've just ordered a couple of the 4082 1720kv motors, hopefully the lower kv will keep them cool they are going in Infractions..?

Let me know how you get on with the Max6 in an Infraction.... I'm soooo tempted..!!

If you really want to go crazy bashing stick a HW 4985 in the Infraction..??

I noticed many brands of motors say Replaceable Armatures. That is just marketing hype. In reality there are none to be had from the get go. I ran across this many times in the past with many motors, brushed and brushless. They are just disposable motors in the end. Only several $motor$ brands actually support their motors with parts availability. And sometimes they are discontinued because of obsolescence and that new design is available. And you cant expect a 5 year old $motor$ to have armatures still available unless you are lucky to find it somewhere on clearance. Like Team Associated does from time to time as well as others.

I noticed many brands of motors say Replaceable Armatures. That is just marketing hype. In reality there are none to be had from the get go. I ran across this many times in the past with many motors, brushed and brushless. They are just disposable motors in the end. Only several $motor$ brands actually support their motors with parts availability. And sometimes they are discontinued because of obsolescence and that new design is available. You cant expect a 5 year old motor to have armatures still available unless you are lucky to find it somewhere on clearance. Like Team Associated does from time to time as well as others.
It would be more advantageous for the mfg to simply build complete motors instead of making separate parts. In the end you are more likely to sell the complete units than parts. At least if you make good motors that don’t break.

If it is built correctly with quasi high quality parts, a motor should last a while and you got your moneys worth for sure. If an Arm wears out prematurely, well its pretty much a loss, unless you have a bin full of similar/same old motor parts to possibly re-use. An armature that delaminates by itself without bearing issues, is due to poor quality or severe overheating. Laminations should be tolerant up to 212 deg. F. That is usually the industry standard or target. Not that 212F is the proper motor operating temp however. I feel op temps over 150F is where we don't want to be.

Did the 4082 2000kv perform any better than the BLX 4074 2050kV? Just curious as I was thinking of trying the BLX in my ERBEv2 instead of the 2200kv castle motor I have in there now, which I think is a 4075. I inexplicably fried my MXL-6S I had in there (MMv2).

Did the 4082 2000kv perform any better than the BLX 4074 2050kV? Just curious as I was thinking of trying the BLX in my ERBEv2 instead of the 2200kv castle motor I have in there now, which I think is a 4075. I inexplicably fried my MXL-6S I had in there (MMv2).
I have that motor as well and I found it to run a tad cooler in my outcast but complete opposite in my Kraton. Performance wise it’s pretty much the same a the stock 2050kv

I have that motor as well and I found it to run a tad cooler in my outcast but complete opposite in my Kraton. Performance wise it’s pretty much the same a the stock 2050kv
You said its fine in the OC but hotter in the Kraton. Is your gearing and tire size the same for both?? ESC Punch setting the same for both?
I find that my Kraton motor runs hotter than my Noto's. Both stock all around, esc settings same, gearing and tire roll out all the same. Find it odd myself. Center diff may play a role in that also.

You said its fine in the OC but hotter in the Kraton. Is your gearing and tire size the same for both?? ESC Punch setting the same for both?
I find that my Kraton motor runs hotter than my Noto's. Both stock all around, esc settings same, gearing and tire roll out all the same. Find it odd myself. Center diff may play a role in that also.
Everything is identical wheels, punch settings, diff fluids and gearing

Well I ordered a Hobbystar 4092 1730kv motor. I think I'll keep the electronics stock in my Infraction for now and put the Max6 and new motor in my Talion. That's the same combo I run in my Kraton. Should be pretty beastly in the lighter Talion ???

You know I was never thrilled with this motor from Day 1. I had already had the Hobbystar 4092 1730 kv in my Kraton and I thought it would be too long for my Notorious. So I opted for the 4082 2000kv instead. It always ran hot which is most likely why it met it's untimely end. I'm going to go back to stock electronics in my Noto. It doesn't need much more for that I do with it. The Max6 will go into my Infraction. Now the question is which motor do I run in the Infraction? I'm not looking for a speed runner. I'm a parking lot drifter. Does anyone know if the 4092 will fit without flipping the mount? If so, maybe I run the lower KV version and the speed pinion that came with the truck. That might work out nice. Any other suggestions?

I don't want to replace it. I thought the motor was sh!try. I'm going back to the BLX for my Noto and putting the Max6 in my Infraction. So I need a motor for that.
It doesn’t fit. I had to pull one battery tray and flip the motor mount to make it work. Funny you just put that set-up into your Talion and I just pulled it out of my Talion to put it into my Infraction ?

Attachments

• 4615C75F-A5B4-4CF9-81CB-3BD9DDC29302.jpeg
    4615C75F-A5B4-4CF9-81CB-3BD9DDC29302.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 5115A297-54FE-4A2E-B551-62885B9F5DDB.jpeg
    5115A297-54FE-4A2E-B551-62885B9F5DDB.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 2AB26BB5-A65C-41F9-A412-9F778933C6F3.jpeg
    2AB26BB5-A65C-41F9-A412-9F778933C6F3.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 8BDA1A38-1669-4141-929D-807CEE3C8E18.jpeg
    8BDA1A38-1669-4141-929D-807CEE3C8E18.jpeg
    423.3 KB · Views: 61
It doesn’t fit. I had to pull one battery tray and flip the motor mount to make it work. Funny you just put that set-up into your Talion and I just pulled it out of my Talion to put it into my Infraction ?
I run dual 3s batteries. I don't want to lose the one tray. I like having balanced weight. I'll stay stock for now. I'm now running a Max6/4092 combo in my Kraton and Talion. It's a great combo!

I run dual 3s batteries. I don't want to lose the one tray. I like having balanced weight. I'll stay stock for now. I'm now running a Max6/4092 combo in my Kraton and Talion. It's a great combo!
I run a single 6s brick in my cars so for me losing the 1 tray was doable. Ya that Max6/4092 combo is ridiculous in terms of torque. I also have one of my Kratons and had my Talion running that combo and it just works great! The only downfall I find is with the added weight of the ESC and long can it comes down and slaps hard on big air landings knocking the turnbuckles off every so often. But I can live with that ?.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back