Kraton Hobbystar 4092

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nevweezy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I did a search and found some good info but just wanna get some fresh opinions on it. I know alot of people have ran the Hobbystar 4092 in the Kraton.

My question is should i get the 1730kv or get the 1480kv and just gear up to desired speed. I wanna get the 1730kv but don't wanna run into heat issues in the summer. The stock 2050kv Kraton motor gets super hot in the summer here in Cali.

I just want the extra torque and power with the long can of the 4092. I was gonna go Leopard but heard so many good things about the Hobbystar.

Im afraid if i go 1480kv its gonna feel sluggish and I'm gonna have to gear waaaay up. I would love the get the 1480kv if its gonna be punchy enough with a decent sized pinion like a 20t-25t. I just feel the 1730kv might be a better option.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I would love to hear some feedback/experience with this motor or similar motors.

Thanks

@nevweezy the 1730 should be just fine. As always you'll want to keep an eye on temps. You can get an infrared temp gun for less than $15 and it's well worth the money.

@WoodiE i have a temp gun already, actually have two..lol I was just wanting to be sure, i hate when i have temp issues. So the 1730 should be fine. Sounds good, ill pull the trigger... Thanks

I did a search and found some good info but just wanna get some fresh opinions on it. I know alot of people have ran the Hobbystar 4092 in the Kraton.

My question is should i get the 1730kv or get the 1480kv and just gear up to desired speed. I wanna get the 1730kv but don't wanna run into heat issues in the summer. The stock 2050kv Kraton motor gets super hot in the summer here in Cali.

I just want the extra torque and power with the long can of the 4092. I was gonna go Leopard but heard so many good things about the Hobbystar.

Im afraid if i go 1480kv its gonna feel sluggish and I'm gonna have to gear waaaay up. I would love the get the 1480kv if its gonna be punchy enough with a decent sized pinion like a 20t-25t. I just feel the 1730kv might be a better option.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I would love to hear some feedback/experience with this motor or similar motors.

Thanks
I have the 1480kv and running a 17t pinion with 6s. It wants to fling the rubber off the wheels. It has the hobbywing motor cooler and still gets to 185 degrees by the end of the battery if I am hammering it. So it is not slow running 6s.

20171207_185117.jpg
20171207_185117.jpg

I have the 1480kv and running a 17t pinion with 6s. It wants to fling the rubber off the wheels. It has the hobbywing motor cooler and still gets to 185 degrees by the end of the battery if I am hammering it. So it is not slow running 6s.

View attachment 14007 View attachment 14007
Yeah thats the thing, in the summer it gets to about 110f for a 2 to 3 month period on and off. Summers are brutal here in Northern Cali. Thats why i wanna go with the 1480kv but am just worried it'll be slow and ill have to gear way up. Thats the kv i was gonna originally gonna get when i was gonna get the leopard 4092 but i heard the Hobbystar is a better motor so now im going to get a Hobbystar. Im just so back and forth on the kv.

I think illl just go with the 1480kv and i can always gear up for speed. With the 1730kv, if it runs hot i really cant gear down past a certain point. I guess its the 1480kv...lol

Hey you think ill be fine with the stock esc until i can buy a Max8?? I would just buy one now but with holidays and my Tekno MT410 build, and my Proline ProMT 4x4 im strapped for cash.

I always go with the low KV Motors, I like the efficiency. We're only talking about three pinion gear teeth difference between those Motors. I got my brand new mt410 on my table right now just finished putting the diffs together.

I couldn't tell you anything about stock Electronics. Mine were on eBay the day my truck showed up. I actually burnt out a Max 8 running that motor. Look at the specifications the max 8 only reads for the 4274 size motor. I run a Max 6 now.

I always go with the low KV Motors, I like the efficiency. We're only talking about three pinion gear teeth difference between those Motors. I got my brand new mt410 on my table right now just finished putting the diffs together.

I couldn't tell you anything about stock Electronics. Mine were on eBay the day my truck showed up. I actually burnt out a Max 8 running that motor. Look at the specifications the max 8 only reads for the 4274 size motor. I run a Max 6 now.
Damn thats good to know, i wonder if the stock esc will handle the larger motor. Something to think about.

I just got my MT410 built last week and i was waiting on the Tekin combo i had ordered to show up. I am gonna get to soldering it tonight. I cant wait to bash it tomorrow. Hopefully everything goes to plan.

Thanks for the suggestions, ill have to see how much a max6 runs...

The max 6 is worth the small price difference for peace of mind. A lot of people run the max 8 with that motor but I know from experience mine went poof and it says right in the manual 4274. I wish I had just gone with the max 6 to start with had somebody told me.

I am going to run 1550 kv in my Tekno with max 8 and 6s.

The max 6 is worth the small price difference for peace of mind. A lot of people run the max 8 with that motor but I know from experience mine went poof and it says right in the manual 4274. I wish I had just gone with the max 6 to start with had somebody told me.

I am going to run 1550 kv in my Tekno with max 8 and 6s.
Thats what im running in my Tekno. A 1550kv tekin t8 with a Tekin rx8 gen3 esc. Im soldering her up now.

I am gonna bite the bullet and get the max6. Prolly gonna order it tonight. I found it for $140 on ebay. Not bad...

I see your max6 is tilted up. Is that to get the motor wires to reach or is there not enough room for it to sit flush??

EDIT: I ended up pulling the trigger on the max6 also. Really didnt have the money to spare but ill survive. I got the Ezrun Max6 v3. The v3 is the newest version correct??

Last edited:
I think it's an advantage to be able to put a bigger pinion with larger teeth contact area.
Am I also right in saying lower KV means more torque?

Can’t argue with the advice given by the forum members. As regards to my rig, the HS4092 works quite well with the hobbywing xr8 plus. Couple that with a tekno 18t pinion and the kraton is a badass machine. Might want to make a tower to tower brace because of the extra power at your fingertips. Where in norcal do u bash?

Hey Nevweezy

Would a 2080kv Leopard 4092 on 6s be a consideration for you?

Monsterous torque with no loss of speed?

I have one installed on my Talion and it runs all day on 6s with no issues

Can’t argue with the advice given by the forum members. As regards to my rig, the HS4092 works quite well with the hobbywing xr8 plus. Couple that with a tekno 18t pinion and the kraton is a badass machine. Might want to make a tower to tower brace because of the extra power at your fingertips. Where in norcal do u bash?
Yeah i got the Hobbystar 4092 1480kv and a Hobbywing Max6. They are both here so this weekend i will be installing and running. Cant wait.

I live in Lodi, which is a small town 30 minutes north of Sacromento. I bash at the skatepark and a local dirt field. Usually have to travel 30 mins to get to the good bash spots. Been looking for a good bash spot more local but no luck. Are you from Norcal?? Where about??

Hey Nevweezy

Would a 2080kv Leopard 4092 on 6s be a consideration for you?

Monsterous torque with no loss of speed?

I have one installed on my Talion and it runs all day on 6s with no issues
Yeah i was trying to get a lower KV than that but i ended up not going with the Leopard and got the Hobbystart 4092 1480kv. Thanks for the suggestion though...

@ParkRacing what size pinion you run. I got the HS 4092 1480kv and Max6 installed and am running a 19t pinion. I feel like i need to up my pinion, it has more power than stock but i was expecting insane power. I guess my expectations where to high. don't get me wrong, i love it and motor temps are around 110-120f and that was the main reason for the switch.

Just wish it had a tad bit more power, i need to up my punch settings. I bet that will do it, and i need to play with pinions. Here are some pics...

HQYHbuK.jpg

XJcpUa7.jpg

@ParkRacing what size pinion you run. I got the HS 4092 1480kv and Max6 installed and am running a 19t pinion. I feel like i need to up my pinion, it has more power than stock but i was expecting insane power. I guess my expectations where to high. don't get me wrong, i love it and motor temps are around 110-120f and that was the main reason for the switch.

Just wish it had a tad bit more power, i need to up my punch settings. I bet that will do it, and i need to play with pinions. Here are some pics...

View attachment 14231
View attachment 14232
Looks good. Sorry it is not the silver bullet you were expecting! It is mostly about the torque. I only use a 17t pinion because I run in short full throttle bursts with backflip tires.
I have had the same problem, I went thru five motors when I got my Kraton, and that motor was the best I have found for that truck. It is heavy, has lots of traction and you are running a lot of voltage thru it.

Looks good. Sorry it is not the silver bullet you were expecting! It is mostly about the torque. I only use a 17t pinion because I run in short full throttle bursts with backflip tires.
I have had the same problem, I went thru five motors when I got my Kraton, and that motor was the best I have found for that truck. It is heavy, has lots of traction and you are running a lot of voltage thru it.
I take back everything i said. Yesterday for testing i used a crappy lipo that was in storage mode and didnt bother to charge because i was only testing.

Today i charged up my SMC 9200mah 6s 90c pack and gave her another run with the 19t pinion. Man oh man, does this thing have power. It will pull the front end up and wanna do a backflip at 40mph. WOW, im impressed with this setup. Its exactly what i was wanting and expecting. Plus my motor temps stay under 110f with the motor fans.

I really jumped the gun and jumped to conclusions. I should have rean a fully charged lipo from the start and went with my good lipos instead of the poopy old lipo in storage mode. Cant believe how much of a difference a good lipo makes.

Dude this thing has so much power. I can be doing 3/4 throttle going around 45mph+ and just pushing the throttle that last 1/4 at once lifts the front end up and wants to land on its lid.

This was what i wanted, you made a great suggestion in this setup @ParkRacing Sorry i jumped the gun and said it wasnt what i wanted. It deff is what i wanted!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back