Hobbystar 56112 980kv or Leopard 58113 v2 1050kv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott_in_FL

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Ah the joys of having kids.... my excuse for getting back to RC since about 30 years ago. So much has changed since those days of NiCd packs in the Team Associated RC10s (the original gold aluminum chassis tub that started it all).

With a few more coins in my pocket compared to when I was 12 and mowing lawns, I figure you gotta' go with a Kraton 8s, no? LOL. What an awesome truck. Gone is all of the darty, squirrely handling, all of the tumbling when landing every single jump, etc. You guys all know what I'm talking about, so I'll stop gushing.

The question is motor upgrades. Reading through the forum, it appears that the two best options for a warm climate (I live in South Florida and the summers are disgusting) are the longer can motors for better cooling. Also, it seems that dropping the kv's is also a good idea for cooling. But the 800kv's don't seem appealing because of the monster pinions that need to be run, which logically seems to cut into the efficiency of electric motors (on just about any device, they usually have a small pinion in relation to a spur gear). 1100kv options are likely too hot.

So I'm set on either the Hobbystar 980kv, or the Leopard 1050kv. The HS is a bit smaller diameter at 56mm than the 58mm, which I assume makes it a bit lighter. If the difference is negligible, then I wont worry about that as a factor. Am I right about that?

The performance also seems very close, with reviews tending to give the Leopard a bit more of that "wow, this thing's a beast" feeling. Am I also right about that?

Does either one run cooler than the other, without a heatsink or fan?

And lastly, does either run longer on 8s than the other? I have a pair of PowerHobby 4s 100c 8000mah packs and if the two motors are close to each other in every other category, I'd likely choose the motor that will give the longer run time.

Max5 esc is still the recommended ESC for this application, right? Is there any value in looking at new MMX8 or anything else as a better option? Looking for cool temps on an esc but capable of easily running these larger motors without issue.

Thanks in advance.

Thinking that the Hobbystar 980kv is going to be the choice.

Now trying to decide gearing.

Thinking 30T pinion with the stock 47T spur? Does that work well enough to get speeds over 50mph but not burn everything up?

welcome @Scott_in_FL , theres a smaller spur (39T) for the arrma 8s's now so you wont need a monster pinion if you run the smaller kv motors https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...MI3_TR6tWa7gIVOv_jBx0GTgl3EAQYASABEgKaKvD_BwE

I run the rocket 56112 780kv with a 1:1 ratio in a very heavy k8s. The way I got it 1:1 is by using two limitless spur gears, one for the pinion and the other for the spur. I run a motor fan and it stays pretty cool. So 800kv you want as close to 1:1 as you can get.

If you stick with the 47t and 980kv you might want maybe a 35t pinion or bigger. Best to buy a few cheap ones on ebay to find what works and then buy a good one or two of the sizes you like best. You also need to make sure your motor mount will work. Idr the limit on the stock one so maybe look into the PPS mount or M2c.

Thinking that the Hobbystar 980kv is going to be the choice.

Now trying to decide gearing.

Thinking 30T pinion with the stock 47T spur? Does that work well enough to get speeds over 50mph but not burn everything up?
I have the same motor and esc. How do you like it so far, what pinion and set up did you go with. I'll be installing mine this weekend

welcome @Scott_in_FL , theres a smaller spur (39T) for the arrma 8s's now so you wont need a monster pinion if you run the smaller kv motors https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...MI3_TR6tWa7gIVOv_jBx0GTgl3EAQYASABEgKaKvD_BwE

I run the rocket 56112 780kv with a 1:1 ratio in a very heavy k8s. The way I got it 1:1 is by using two limitless spur gears, one for the pinion and the other for the spur. I run a motor fan and it stays pretty cool. So 800kv you want as close to 1:1 as you can get.

If you stick with the 47t and 980kv you might want maybe a 35t pinion or bigger. Best to buy a few cheap ones on ebay to find what works and then buy a good one or two of the sizes you like best. You also need to make sure your motor mount will work. Idr the limit on the stock one so maybe look into the PPS mount or M2c.
Do you have any issue with the limitless spool 39t as spur and pinion in a long term run?

i run the 980k with max5 39 limitless spur and 35 pinion. get close to 70 mph easy, wheelie on demand. You will need fans. 32-33 and you wont need fans.

Do you have any issue with the limitless spool 39t as spur and pinion in a long term run?
It’s still in there but I have a lot of cars to spread out abuse. Pretty sure Arrma makes a smaller 39t or so spur for the 8s models which would be better because it’s keyed to the drive instead of just grub screws.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back