Hobbystar vs. Castle Creations Motor Bench Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManhattanRC

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
So I've had the Sky RC motor analyzer for some time, but never used it. Yesterday I had some free time, and ran through some motors (Castle, Hobbywing, Hobbystar etc.).

Based on the results ( bench only and not under actual load) the Hobbystar (2250kv) put out the most RPM per Volt (adjusted for motor KV) than all the others. Even it's timing / phasing was well within the QA specs of the Castle 2200 and Hobbywing. The Hobbystar was noisier, but given its 1/2 the cost of the Castle I think that's reasonable.

For those out there who run Hobbystar, how does the performance under load compare to the premium brand stuff out there? Just curious as I have not run these motors in the same cars under the same conditions to do the comparison myself.

Last edited:
Im thinking doing a swap for my arrma kraton v2, the motor and esc are ok and the car is very fast rigth now, I was looking for a EZrun max 8 and 4274 2200kv motor, will be a notiable increase of performance?

It’s been a little while since I’ve used a castle motor but they are definitely a step above brands like leopard and hobbystar. Only issue is you’re paying $100 for a 4074 standard sized motor, and all the $40-$70 ones on eBay are fakes that have no advantages over brands like hobbystar.

I’ll also add that it’s been years since they’ve even produced a sensorless 8th scale motor, the only one left that they still make sensorless is the 1515B (smooth can) and you can only get it by buying a sidewinder 8th. That said, because basically all their stuff is sensored, it’s even more expensive than the old genuine NEU motors used to be.

I have the same motor tester but haven't used it yet because I did not know- and did not buy a battery to run it on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back