Hobbywing 1060 ESC Failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LipoShirly

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Voltage
I'm having issues using the HW 1060, either I'm completely missing something in the directions, or the 2 that I have are possessed and simply toying with me.....

On a repair job, I installed 2 of the HW1060's in Voltages for kids use, tested and set the radios up, everything worked fine. The radios are the Spectrum SLT3 and SLR300 I picked up from Jenny's. The first time we got the trucks back out for my grandkids, as I'm installing the truck batteries I let the boys have the radios, which was a mistake as they fiddled with all the settings.
This is where the weirdness started, one truck decided that in NORM throttle it would run in reverse, so I flipped to REV, and the now when turned on the truck took off running in forward, setting the throttle trim helped but forward speed was only 50% and reverse 100% . I should have tried recalibrating at this point, but decided to flip motor leads instead, and put the radio back into NORM. Turned it on, motor ran in reverse ???? switched the motor leads back and the truck ran fine the rest of the night... thought I must have screwed up the changing of the motor leads the first time, but still doesn't explain why it flipped direction from when I first worked on it.

Getting ready for another outing with the trucks I ran both trucks for a few minutes to check radio settings, both worked great. Packed it all up for the next day.

and then things got weird again....

Truck 1: Made the mistake of handing the radio to grandson (3yo) again while I was plugging in truck battery...so double checked again before turning it on. Truck runs in reverse , so I turn off and go to REV throttle, and same thing happens again ,truck runs in forward as soon as turned on with little or no reverse. Adjusting throttle trim helps but not drivable. So now completely confused with what's going on, I power cycle the ESC... and it goes into full meltdown. No flames but all the magic smoke is gone... so one truck down..

Truck 2: The radio never left the back of my truck, so I know it was not messed with. Put the battery in truck 2, turned it on and its running in reverse..... so I flipped to REV on the radio and this time it acted OK, except being faster in reverse than in forward. 3yo ran the entire battery without issue.

Has anyone else had similar problems? and feel free to just say "that dudes an idiot"....

Oh, and one last thing as I research on-line, 1 unit came from Amazon but shipped from Hobbywing Direct, the other came from Amain, so I think they were both legit HW parts.

Yes, seen this on the cheapo radios. They lose the bind setting and start acting weird. Not and ESC issue.
Seen a burned up ESC as a result, as well as the forward slow.
Get yourself a radio that does not have external rev switches, that will work wonders.

Suggest the Radiolink RC6GS or RC4GS based on wallet depth.

Throw away those garbage Spektrum transmitters. You could upgrade to other Spektrum transmitters that don't exhibit those issues, but are more expensive and have less range and features.

The FWD/REV setting is listed in the ESC manual, if you get that wrong, you will see the 50% forward speed.

Just flipping the switch on the radio isn't the right way to change direction: you need to swap the wires on the motor first, then change the direction switch on the radio if necessary. As you found out, the vehicle goes faster in reverse if you just change the switch. Once you have swapped the wires and got the direction switch changed (if required), recalibrate the throttle.

You need to start from scratch on your ESC/radio calibrations. Make sure radio batteries are fresh. Rebind, calibrate throttle, neutral, brake, and go from there. Make sure before doing this that the fwd/rev switch on the radio is in forward and all trim knobs are set to center/zero. You can switch motor wires as you’ve said to reverse motor rotation, but if you end up with only 50% forward throttle the direction must be reversed in the ESC settings and NOT with the radio switches.
HobbyWing program cards make this process much easier and are cheap.
Some talk trash about the Spektrum radios and receivers, but most have no problems with them except lower than average range, i.e. not for speed runs or extended distances.

Last edited:
Just flipping the switch on the radio isn't the right way to change direction: you need to swap the wires on the motor first, then change the direction switch on the radio if necessary. As you found out, the vehicle goes faster in reverse if you just change the switch. Once you have swapped the wires and got the direction switch changed (if required), recalibrate the throttle.
+1.

I Highly recommend that ONCE you set the radio knob settings where they are fine and correct, that you take a Silver Sharpie pen and place a Mark or Dot where the knob is set to. My son always messed up the Knobs also when he was young. Always touching and holding the radios. Kids do this. Normal out of curiosity. :giggle: Sometimes I may even bump the knobs not knowing when transporting the radio. Returning the Analog knobs where the Silver Dot is marked, makes it easy. Easy to see if the knobs were moved at all. Trust me, this simple thing will make life so much easier.:cool:
Digital Upgrade radios rule for this one reason alone. No knobs to deal with. DIgital is much more precise as well.

All of the above is true but seen exactly what you've described i.e. radio changes settings without touching it.
Obviously, mucking around with the settings (kids) doesn't help, but the radios will do that by themselves and add to the confusion. Doesn't happen while it's running, but between runs and long periods of unpowered receivers. Observed it myself on SLT3, no idea on the SLR.

First of all thanks for everyones input....

if you end up with only 50% forward throttle the direction must be reversed in the ESC settings and NOT with the radio switches
went back and checked this thinking I missed it, the HW1060 EZrun is only programmable with a few jumpers.

take a Silver Sharpie pen and place a Mark or Dot where the knob is set
I was thinking about using some silicon caulk to lock them down while still being able to pull off if needed , but I like this idea better.

but seen exactly what you've described i.e. radio changes settings without touching it.
THANK YOU.... I was thinking I was losing it....

Anyway , its clear to me I know less than I should when it comes to setting up and running the radio and ESC, I think I'll set up a test bench of sorts to play around with settings.

went back and checked this thinking I missed it, the HW1060 EZrun is only programmable with a few jumpers.
sorry, I gave you the process for the EZRun series. You actually have the Quiickrun.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back