HobbyWing 1100kv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirkdiggler

Reaction score
What’s up brothers !!

I’m getting a O8s exb and getting the max5/1100 KV combo.

I need help of the spur and pinion.

What do you guys recommend?

I do realize this is asked a ton, but I’ve seen a few different answers.

I’m a backyard basher. Don’t really do speedruns. I love to bash and flip with good air control.

Thanks !!

Got another question brothers.

What’s the biggest pinion a stock 1/5 Outcast EXB can take ? I have a 27T and 30T on hand.

Just making sure I don’t need a special motor mount.

Thanks

Had mine now for 6 months running hobbywing 1100kv. Ive tried 29/39 but atm its been on 29/47 for a while no fans on motor and np with temps or nothing.

Last edited:
I'd definitely go with the 39t spur. Anywhere from 27 to 34 is the way to go. I ran 34/39 at first and it flipped like no other. Ran a bit hot, but that was doing full pulls on grass (which is high drag) which puts more strain on the motor. If you're just doing backyard stuff...i.e. stopping and starting alot, short distances, I'd go 32-34 for maximum effect. If you are pulling longer open runs, 27-29 is a good spot. Either way regardless the 1100 will heat up. I'd invest in a game changer fan. $$$ but worth it.
If you order from saga, you might as well order a few different sizes since you gotta wait for it. That way if one isn't working for ya you have a few back-ups or want options.

Thanks for the help.

Just curious why do some guys recommend a 39 tooth spur vs a 47 tooth spur ? Learn me bro !

Honestly, when I got my O8exb, I watched alot of videos from rcdude81, rich duperbash, and a few others. They all ran the 39. Not that the 47 is bad, but I think when you start gearing up on the pinion, it comes down to the motor mount slide and how much physical space you can stretch it out. For me, when I was running my 800kv, I maxed it out with a 41t pinion to my 39t spur. With the 47, you couldn't put anything bigger than say, 36 or 37t pinion because of the diameter of the 47 vs the 39. I think m2c has a mount and slide that gives you more space to gear up with a 47 but I'm not sure. Stock slide though 39/39 almost maxes it out. Currently I'm running a 29t pinion with a 36t spur on my hobbystar 980kv. I dig it. But it takes time and tinkering. I started with a castle 800/xlx2, then to a max5 with the 5687 1100kv, now I run the xlx2 with the 980. I found MY sweet spot more or less. It takes time to find what YOU like and are comfortable with in the end.

Honestly, when I got my O8exb, I watched alot of videos from rcdude81, rich duperbash, and a few others. They all ran the 39. Not that the 47 is bad, but I think when you start gearing up on the pinion, it comes down to the motor mount slide and how much physical space you can stretch it out. For me, when I was running my 800kv, I maxed it out with a 41t pinion to my 39t spur. With the 47, you couldn't put anything bigger than say, 36 or 37t pinion because of the diameter of the 47 vs the 39. I think m2c has a mount and slide that gives you more space to gear up with a 47 but I'm not sure. Stock slide though 39/39 almost maxes it out. Currently I'm running a 29t pinion with a 36t spur on my hobbystar 980kv. I dig it. But it takes time and tinkering. I started with a castle 800/xlx2, then to a max5 with the 5687 1100kv, now I run the xlx2 with the 980. I found MY sweet spot more or less. It takes time to find what YOU like and are comfortable with in the end.
I have the Kraton with 980kv 35/39 Badlands 4.3. What's your top speed if you ever measured it. Ill try 29/36. I have Dual 4s fans on the motor and dual 3s fans on ESC

I haven't really checked the top end. With the shorter wheelbase...I still can wheelie at almost full speed. Whatever it is, its pleanty for me running 30/39.Most of the time for me my full throttle pulls are mid backflip for the most part. I want rotational speed for flips more than chasing top speeds.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back