Mojave Hobbywing 1650kv or Tp 5660??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinkarne

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Hoping everyone is doing good and having a pleasant day.

I am still under dilemma whether on which motor should I opt for my Mojave exb!! I ordered hw 4985 1650kv motor thinking this might suffice the need for Mojave but I read multiple comments that this motor even with this big Can size heats up pretty fast. I didn’t go with the tp5660 cause I thought it would make the rig a bit heavy and I already have it in my limitless and was thinking to try the hw motor.

I’m now thinking to return the hw motor and get another 5660 if the heat issues are really a concern cause I know for the fact that the tp 1/5 motors are solid and never heat up crazy which I tested myself! I literally ran my limitless on 4s(16800 mah) and 6s(6400 mah) continuously atleast 10-15 speed runs(28/44 gearing) and bashing continuously for 45-50 mins(ultimate fun) and have not seen any heat issues at all!

Suggestions are really appreciated.

Thank you,
Vin.

^^^ It largely comes down to the gearing, along with your cooling solution that dictates.
Large Fat motor cans, 56mm x XX, usually best suited for 8s running.

My mojave has a tp 4070 1700kv and it's awesome. I'd pick that over the hw 4985 any day. I suggest you do 4070 over big block to save weight but if you don't jump much I say go for it. My talion xl has a tp 5660 1460kv and I love it but it does break easier than any other rig I own 🤣

As noted above it comes down to your gearing. I have the Max 6/1650kv so here is some perspective:
With my Senton speed runner, when I ran stock body I was geared 34/40. And it took FIVE fans (1 on esc)to keep it cool. Even though it did overheat a few times, the motor is still going strong. When I changed to a GT body, I had more airflow when I removed the Scorched fenders, yet I geared down to 30/40 And now use only 3 fans(1 on esc). I'm going faster and have had it out on hot days with no overheat issues.
But if heat is something you do anticipate, many on this forum have pointed out that when it comes to heat, TP is the Timex of rc motors.
Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

As noted above it comes down to your gearing. I have the Max 6/1650kv so here is some perspective:
With my Senton speed runner, when I ran stock body I was geared 34/40. And it took FIVE fans (1 on esc)to keep it cool. Even though it did overheat a few times, the motor is still going strong. When I changed to a GT body, I had more airflow when I removed the Scorched fenders, yet I geared down to 30/40 And now use only 3 fans(1 on esc). I'm going faster and have had it out on hot days with no overheat issues.
But if heat is something you do anticipate, many on this forum have pointed out that when it comes to heat, TP is the Timex of rc motors.
Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'
Apparently TP motors have the best made armatures.

I actually got my tp 4060cm 2080kv to 230f on accident and it's still working fine

Apparently TP motors have the best made armatures.
I really need to get an LMT motor at some point. They claim to have the highest density by a good margin. Considering the price (plus the fact that they're made with German precision...which is the best kind of precision according to many) I'm pretty sure they would give anyone a run for the money when it comes to craftsmanship. To be clear, this is pure speculation on my part...I'm just banking on my fellow countrymen in engineering to be on top of their game. Whether or not this is true...remains to be seen. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back