Kraton Hobbywing 4985 1650kv cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as an update - finally got the parts from Alza, fitted them yesterday. I have to say the parts are solid quality and it looks like a pretty clean set up. Only slight issue is the clearance below the 4985 is so minimal I had to use some quite thin zip ties so hopefully they hold

View attachment 133718View attachment 133719View attachment 133720View attachment 133721View attachment 133722
Looks nice! I've heard this oversized motor slide will fit the EXB, ARA320538.
I don't know if it does personally but I also want to know for sure, I'd like to try it to get motor off chassis. It supposed to rasie motor mounting position up a bit
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA320538

I had some pretty hard hits today and it seemed to hold up fine - the bigger issue was trying stop the 2s lipo for the fans flying off :ROFLMAO:

The fans make a night and day difference to the motor temps though

Looks nice! I've heard this oversized motor slide will fit the EXB, ARA320538.
I don't know if it does personally but I also want to know for sure, I'd like to try it to get motor off chassis. It supposed to rasie motor mounting position up a bit
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA320538
Why would you want to raise it? If you jump you have to support it. You be surprised how much force is in play.

Why would you want to raise it? If you jump you have to support it. You be surprised how much force is in play.
Oh I thought I wasn't good to have it too close to chassis? Frame flexes and hits motor etc.. I'm probably wrong, I usally am.. just ask my wife.. 😆
Originally I thought I'd have issues fitting a heat sink around the motor as the HW 4985 has fins and its super close fit, but the PH twin fans heatsink fit without mods so I left it. Wasn't planning on doing it, just curious if it's an option for others needing room for bigger heatsink.

Just as an update - finally got the parts from Alza, fitted them yesterday. I have to say the parts are solid quality and it looks like a pretty clean set up. Only slight issue is the clearance below the 4985 is so minimal I had to use some quite thin zip ties so hopefully they hold

View attachment 133718View attachment 133719View attachment 133720View attachment 133721View attachment 133722
Looks great! Alza is good stuff! You gonna remove that stock fan from your ESC??

Oh I thought I wasn't good to have it too close to chassis? Frame flexes and hits motor etc.. I'm probably wrong, I usally am.. just ask my wife.. 😆
Originally I thought I'd have issues fitting a heat sink around the motor as the HW 4985 has fins and its super close fit, but the PH twin fans heatsink fit without mods so I left it. Wasn't planning on doing it, just curious if it's an option for others needing room for bigger heatsink.
Chassis flex can be prevented with chassis braces (alu) but your motor is a huge lever on a front pivot point. Yes it will hit the chassis and that is what you want to prevent.
I'd rather not ask your wife, every time I ask mine about this stuff I get 'the look'. :ROFLMAO:
Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless

Looks great! Alza is good stuff! You gonna remove that stock fan from your ESC??

Thanks - I will eventually, atm the stock esc fan seems to be doing enough to keep it cool so I'll just run it until it breaks then swap it out. The only thing I don't like about the Alza esc mounting bracket is when fitted it leaves all the contacts exposed on each side of the esc because the stock fan housing stretches to the edges of the esc but needs to be removed - so I need to figure out a way of keeping those covered somehow, or I dunno maybe it's fine to leave them exposed and I'm just being paranoid

As a side question given the motor gets quite hot (pre fans) and the esc is cool - is this indicative of over gearing or just the esc fan doing its job? If the latter, how do you judge the former?

Chassis flex can be prevented with chassis braces (alu) but your motor is a huge lever on a front pivot point. Yes it will hit the chassis and that is what you want to prevent.
I'd rather not ask your wife, every time I ask mine about this stuff I get 'the look'. :ROFLMAO:
Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless

I noticed some imprints of the motor fins on the chassis so it does seem to be rubbing against it sometimes - maybe the zip ties are a blessing then as they support the motor

I’m running the same setup (Max6/4985 1650kv) on 23t and my temps are good! 130* motor/110* ESC 🤷🏻‍♂️ IDK about the motor slapping the chassis, I’m not having that issue. But, I’m running PPS-RC motor mounts on my Kratons.

Is anyone running their fans off a separate battery? I can't seem to find a way of mounting the second battery without it coming loose and flying off after a couple of tumbles

I've tried zip tieing it to the plastic centre rollover cage, in the inside but it just doesn't seem to hold, either slides out or snaps the zip ties (fixed with 2 ties)

Anyone got any ideas?

Is anyone running their fans off a separate battery? I can't seem to find a way of mounting the second battery without it coming loose and flying off after a couple of tumbles

I've tried zip tieing it to the plastic centre rollover cage, in the inside but it just doesn't seem to hold, either slides out or snaps the zip ties (fixed with 2 ties)

Anyone got any ideas?
Get some kydex and mold it to your battery and bolt it to the center cage.

Interesting - you just use a heat gun to mould it in the shape of the battery? Assume you use something like a block of wood rather than the battery itself to mould around
What I do is make a template out of cereal box cardboard with tabs to hold the ends of the battery with space for the wires to come out. Also plan on a mounting location. When I get it satisfactory I t race and cut out the kydex. Then I'll heat those tabs and bend them around the ends of the battery one at a time. You can use something the same size but you are not heating up the battery with the heat gun just the kydex so heat transfer is not so bad. After that you can cut a slit in it for a small velcro battery strap and the tabs captivate the battery nice and snug. I've done this for small packs in my crawlers. Pretty easy DIY.

My fan setup on Max6 combo

Thunderoos 2 x 27k motor fans, connected to battery balance port.

Thunderoos 18k esc fan, connected to Max6 with adapter for battery balance port

*lifetime warrenty on fan blads*

IMG_20210324_122550.jpg

IMG_20210324_183001.jpg

What I do is make a template out of cereal box cardboard with tabs to hold the ends of the battery with space for the wires to come out. Also plan on a mounting location. When I get it satisfactory I t race and cut out the kydex. Then I'll heat those tabs and bend them around the ends of the battery one at a time. You can use something the same size but you are not heating up the battery with the heat gun just the kydex so heat transfer is not so bad. After that you can cut a slit in it for a small velcro battery strap and the tabs captivate the battery nice and snug. I've done this for small packs in my crawlers. Pretty easy DIY.

This sounds good, I'll see if I source some kydex in UK and give it a go - thanks!

View attachment 137304

View attachment 137305

I was worried about unbalancing the cells by drawing off the balance lead. I've got 3 fans similar to yours which say they pull around 0.5A-0.6A, so I wasn't that comfortable pulling c.1.5A through once receiver port either. Have you had any issues with unbalanced cells etc? I guess they get rebalanced each time you charge so might not be an issue

. 5A per fan is not an issue, even 3 of them. No need to worry about unbalancing. On a 5000mAh you will probablybbe 0.1V lower after a 30min bash session compared to the others. Different story for high power fans that draw more than and 1A each. Those are for speed runs and maybe 10min runtime before they could cause unbalancing that matters.

View attachment 137304

View attachment 137305
As slick as this setup undoubtedly looks ,
And I totally understand the wish to protect the fan blades from foreign objects, but doesn't that guard/mesh combination have a seriously detrimental effect on airflow? And hence cooling effect??
Maybe the speed and fan combination mitigates to he problem by being well over the spec required? It just 'looks' like a huge loss in surface area ??

Happy to be school'd ?

Obviously anything in front of blades is going to restrict little bit of flow but would rather protect the 30$ or more fans from stones and sticks than getting a few more cfms over the motor . Just my opinion though I like that set up looks awsome and powerful. I use twin yeah racing 17k fans on my t.p. 2300kv and never gets over 130

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back