Kraton Hobbywing 4985 1650kv vs castle 1717 1650kv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaden1308

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if a should get the 4985 or the casel 1717 1650kv like does one run cooler than the other is one more powerful and I have the mmx8s

On an MMX 8s my Castle 1717 1650kv runs cool: on a 72F day it only reached a high temp of 108F (per a temp gun) after ten minutes of full throttle runs, and that's without a fan. And it will do a 360 degree back flip on grass without the wing or wheelie bar touching the ground, land on the wheels, and keep going. I have no experience with the Hobbywing 4985.

I'm trying to decide if a should get the 4985 or the casel 1717 1650kv like does one run cooler than the other is one more powerful and I have the mmx8s
Go with HW! I've blown TWO 1717 motors on my Mojave EXB. They just don't hold up to extreme bashing and jumps. Trust me. HW 1650KV motor is the boss as far as I'm concerned. Castle is more for speed runs and street bashing. That's been my experience so far.

If you already have the mmx8 I’d finish off with castle n go sensored 1717,

If you were picking combos I’d still suggest castle.. this is biased as I have no hw products lol.

BTW I put these motors and ESCS head to head (HW Max 6 vs MMX8S). I have two Mojave EXBS. Same gearing, same tires, same batteries and I saw no difference off road performance. Save yourself some $ and get the HW. That's what I would do. You only see a performance difference in high speed situations (on road speed runs and bashing on road) that's the only time I've seen Castle beat HW. The Castle systems are better than for speed runs and street bashing. Trust me. 👍

castle, easier to use an way more power.

I have a talion with castle 1717 combo and a Kraton with max 6 combo. I've used both of them on my ramp for a while now and both have survived the bashings so far. Both have needed esc fans replaced and both give me zero problems. You really can't go wrong with either but as you have the mmx8s already I think you should get the castle motor, you're already halfway to a sensored setup so you might as well take the last step and enjoy it. Castle also runs a little cooler.

Some people have had problems with castle not lasting during bashes but I've yet to have any problems. Maybe I don't bash as hard as others? feel free to check out the YouTube linked in my sig and decide for yourself. :cool:

I have a talion with castle 1717 combo and a Kraton with max 6 combo. I've used both of them on my ramp for a while now and both have survived the bashings so far. Both have needed esc fans replaced and both give me zero problems. You really can't go wrong with either but as you have the mmx8s already I think you should get the castle motor, you're already halfway to a sensored setup so you might as well take the last step and enjoy it. Castle also runs a little cooler.

Some people have had problems with castle not lasting during bashes but I've yet to have any problems. Maybe I don't bash as hard as others? feel free to check out the YouTube linked in my sig and decide for yourself. :cool:
My jumps are around 26ft. I would never do that again with a 1717 motor. Just my experience. The sensor inside my 2028 1100kv motors broke with time too, so the Sensored thing for bashers is pointless in my 8s rigs

I went with the Hobbywing 4985 and Max6 for my Kraton. Honestly, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. Both will have absolutely silly amounts of power compared to the stock motor. I'm actually looking to swap it out with something different because it's basically impossible to go anywhere near the throttle without pulling a wheelie, even at nearly full speed.

I went with the Hobbywing 4985 and Max6 for my Kraton. Honestly, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. Both will have absolutely silly amounts of power compared to the stock motor. I'm actually looking to swap it out with something different because it's basically impossible to go anywhere near the throttle without pulling a wheelie, even at nearly full speed.
Have you tried lowering the punch? It's funny because I like the wheelie action. Even on my Mojave EXB. Compared to the stock system, the bigger ESCS and motors run cooler and torque is where they shine. Hehe. 👍. I'm actually going to go back to the smaller motor and ESC in my older EXB Mojave since I need that MMX8S for my X-Maxx.

What gearing are you running?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back