Infraction HOBBYWING 4985 8s??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jluther@becoinc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Talion
I just got an Infraction and of course the stock esc dumped. I want to upgrade to a MAX6 4985kv and run 8s. I have read on here that some have tried it and it worked.
Was looking for someone that had run this for some time and what the results were. I don’t want to put the thing in and it only work for a little while. MrDuke was running this set up I think 🤔 what do you guys think?

Not sure the 4985 likes 8s but it might a while before letting the magic smoke out

Do it 👍

*ceramic motor bearings are cheap insurance

Do it 👍

Okay if it works for you it works for me!!!
Do you know what size and where to pick up these bearings? You are just the guy I was looking for a comment from. Thanks a lot SIR

Do it 👍

Someone else ran that motor on 8s for a few months, but then it gave up the ghost. It's not rated for 8s (per hobbywing specs). I just don't get why they'd package it with an 8s ESC. The Castle 1717 is exactly the same size and that one is rated for 8s. Kind of weird TBH. I've tested both of these motors with their ESCS on my Mojave rigs and I prefer the Max 6 and HW motor (same gearing and everything else). And yes I've put 8s through that motor before but I only like 3 times.

Someone else ran that motor on 8s for a few months, but then it gave up the ghost. It's not rated for 8s (per hobbywing specs). I just don't get why they'd package it with an 8s ESC. The Castle 1717 is exactly the same size and that one is rated for 8s. Kind of weird TBH. I've tested both of these motors with their ESCS on my Mojave rigs and I prefer the Max 6 and HW motor (same gearing and everything else). And yes I've put 8s through that motor before but I only like 3 times.
I'm curious why you liked the max6 combo more.

I'm curious why you liked the max6 combo more.
It might be because the Mojave with the MMX8S and 1717 is a used beat up one with questionable diffs, while the Max 6 and 1650KV Mojave that I have is pretty much brand new. The newer Mojave with the Max 6 feels like it's got better acceleration and rotation in the air (and the Max 6 and motor are new too). Maybe that's why I like it better. Top speed is exactly the same for both rigs, with the same batteries and stock tires. At least on 6s (47mph on grass).

I ran the max 6 4985 on 8s for a long time. Definitely can take it with better bearings. The stock ones died in the first few packs. I have since moved to the 5687 motor and couldn’t be happier about it. Not as snappy as a smaller motor but the power is there and some.

I ran the max 6 4985 on 8s for a long time. Definitely can take it with better bearings. The stock ones died in the first few packs. I have since moved to the 5687 motor and couldn’t be happier about it. Not as snappy as a smaller motor but the power is there and some.
I've had the 5687SL on my X-Maxx for like 2 years. It's a beast of a motor and reliable. Max 5 esc

i blow my 4985 1650kv hobbywing motor with 8s. My ESC is Max6.
Mine make almost 7runs in cold snow weather.

The 1650kv H-W 4985 will only last 6-8 runs with 8s.
I have it in my Mojave EXB 20t pinion before i blow it

Today i have the Spektrum SPMXSM1200 4985 1250kv 8s motor, and my old Max6 ESC. in my Mojave 1/7
4985 1250kv is the stock motor in 1/5 RTR Kraton 8s i believe

I have drive it about 50 runs and it runs cool and nice in my Mojave
I have the same Combo in my Limitless also. I have drive it about 20 runs atleast without any issues.

Use big pinion like 24t-26t with that Spectrum 4985 8s motor and you will have one insane fast and powerful car.

this is the 5mm pinion model
https://www.astramodel.cz/en/catalog/spektrum/spektrum-brushless-motor-firma-4985-1250kv-p74182.html
SPMXSM1200

One great thing with Spektrum motor is the can size 46mm, because no cooler fins.
Spektrum 49 fits alot better than Hobbywing 49 to Arrma Chassies.
Hobbywing 4985 got cooler fins that will scrape at the chassie. You don't have the fins in Spektrum Motor

With Spektrum 8s 4950 1250kv Motor You have 1mm free space :)

SPMXSM1200.en.png

the best combo to 1/7 and 1/8 Arrma cars is SPMXSM1200 motor and MAX6 ESC i think.

Love this combo in my Limitless and Mojave. i like Driving like maniac.
No heat issues.
75mph easy, full packs summertime, no heat issues.
Big Pinions and 8s will make your car to one monster, also very durable with SPMXSM1200 motor , 100% 8s safe with MAX6 esc

i blow my 4985 1650kv hobbywing motor with 8s. My ESC is Max6.
Mine make almost 7runs in cold snow weather.

The 1650kv H-W 4985 will only last 6-8 runs with 8s.
I have it in my Mojave EXB 20t pinion before i blow it

Today i have the Spektrum SPMXSM1200 4985 1250kv 8s motor, and my old Max6 ESC. in my Mojave 1/7
4985 1250kv is the stock motor in 1/5 RTR Kraton 8s i believe

I have drive it about 50 runs and it runs cool and nice in my Mojave
I have the same Combo in my Limitless also. I have drive it about 20 runs atleast without any issues.

Use big pinion like 24t-26t with that Spectrum 4985 8s motor and you will have one insane fast and powerful car.

this is the 5mm pinion model
https://www.astramodel.cz/en/catalog/spektrum/spektrum-brushless-motor-firma-4985-1250kv-p74182.html
SPMXSM1200

One great thing with Spektrum motor is the can size 46mm, because no cooler fins.
Spektrum 49 fits alot better than Hobbywing 49 to Arrma Chassies.
Hobbywing 4985 got cooler fins that will scrape at the chassie. You don't have the fins in Spektrum Motor

With Spektrum 8s 4950 1250kv Motor You have 1mm free space :)

View attachment 196072
the best combo to 1/7 and 1/8 Arrma cars is SPMXSM1200 motor and MAX6 ESC i think.

Love this combo in my Limitless and Mojave. i like Driving like maniac.
No heat issues.
75mph easy, full packs summertime, no heat issues.
Big Pinions and 8s will make your car to one monster, also very durable with SPMXSM1200 motor , 100% 8s safe with MAX6 esc
I’ve been running that combo on 8s for 2 years with zero issues. Did you check the motor bearings after running in wet and snow? I’d assume that’s what let go if they’re not maintained properly

I’ve been running that combo on 8s for 2 years with zero issues. Did you check the motor bearings after running in wet and snow? I’d assume that’s what let go if they’re not maintained properly

No i did not check bearings at all,
this is nothing you do after only 6-7 runs with brand new combo.

The Specs says only 6s max also for that 1650kv hobbywing motor.

You are lucky driving it 2years. Because mine did blow up after few runs only.
What pinion you use ?

I don't remember 100% what Pinion size i run that time,
i believe it was 17t. 90% sure.

1650kv HW was very overpowered with 8s and temps was pretty hot in snow conditions also.

1250kv Spektrum motor with 8s is great and bulletproof. Runs Cold.
No heat issues at all. You only need big pinion 22t or bigger to get great top speeds.

Spektrum 1250kv motor is made to run 8s on the paper.
This is the stock motor in huge 1/5 kraton 8s.

The second best thing is that you have 1mm freespace to the chassie also
with the 1250kv.
You can jump safe, chassie flex is no issue at all.
Hobbywing 1650kv touches chassie all time. Not good.

I did jump high couple times.
maybe my huge jumps is one of the issues mixed with high temps because motor cooling fins dit scratch to chassie alot,

Maybe the bearings in HW motor become very bad so quick because the jumps when chassie maybe flex some ?

Spektrum 1250kv fits very nice. there is freespace 1mm minium to the chassie

Better go safe with Spektrum if you want run 8s is my tip.
Because the HW motor has only spec to 6s max on paper.

It will be risky drive 8s, and there will not be any warranty driving that motor 8s.

I also like the throttle curve with 8s 1250kv better than the 1650kv with 8s because the 1650kv is too agressive.
The 1250kv Spektrum got alot better throttle registry, more easy to run ,
top speed is same with big pinion, and runs cooler, also not scratching the chassie.

Go with 1250kv Spektrum is my advice, very nice motor with max6 esc to
all 1/8 and 1/7 Arrma cars.

I have try this 8s combo to my EXB kraton also and Talion v4.
im big fan of that combo.
i will have the same combo to all my 4 Arrma cars soon because i got 12pc 4s lipos. i only got 2pc 3s.
For me 8s is the way to go HW max6 esc, 1250kv spektrum motor.
I really love drive my cars this way

No i did not check bearings at all,
this is nothing you do after only 6-7 runs with brand new combo.

The Specs says only 6s max also for that 1650kv hobbywing motor.

You are lucky driving it 2years. Because mine did blow up after few runs only.
What pinion you use ?

I don't remember 100% what Pinion size i run that time,
i believe it was 17t. 90% sure.

1650kv HW was very overpowered with 8s and temps was pretty hot in snow conditions also.

1250kv Spektrum motor with 8s is great and bulletproof. Runs Cold.
No heat issues at all. You only need big pinion 22t or bigger to get great top speeds.

Spektrum 1250kv motor is made to run 8s on the paper.
This is the stock motor in huge 1/5 kraton 8s.

The second best thing is that you have 1mm freespace to the chassie also
with the 1250kv.
You can jump safe, chassie flex is no issue at all.
Hobbywing 1650kv touches chassie all time. Not good.

I did jump high couple times.
maybe my huge jumps is one of the issues mixed with high temps because motor cooling fins dit scratch to chassie alot,

Maybe the bearings in HW motor become very bad so quick because the jumps when chassie maybe flex some ?

Spektrum 1250kv fits very nice. there is freespace 1mm minium to the chassie

Better go safe with Spektrum if you want run 8s is my tip.
Because the HW motor has only spec to 6s max on paper.

It will be risky drive 8s, and there will not be any warranty driving that motor 8s.

I also like the throttle curve with 8s 1250kv better than the 1650kv with 8s because the 1650kv is too agressive.
The 1250kv Spektrum got alot better throttle registry, more easy to run ,
top speed is same with big pinion, and runs cooler, also not scratching the chassie.

Go with 1250kv Spektrum is my advice, very nice motor with max6 esc to
all 1/8 and 1/7 Arrma cars.

I have try this 8s combo to my EXB kraton also and Talion v4.
im big fan of that combo.
i will have the same combo to all my 4 Arrma cars soon because i got 12pc 4s lipos. i only got 2pc 3s.
For me 8s is the way to go HW max6 esc, 1250kv spektrum motor.
I really love drive my cars this way
Yes, if you run in wet snowy conditions you most certainly will need to maintain every bearing on the entire car. This includes the motor bearings.

Also if your 4985 was sitting on the chassis it’s probably because your chassis is bowed and no longer straight.

I have 1.3mm of clearance between the M2C chassis and the bottom of the fins on the 4985
7139C5D2-87BF-44F7-9672-ADFC79752C10.jpeg

Yes, if you run in wet snowy conditions you most certainly will need to maintain every bearing on the entire car. This includes the motor bearings.

Also if your 4985 was sitting on the chassis it’s probably because your chassis is bowed and no longer straight.

I have 1.3mm of clearance between the M2C chassis and the bottom of the fins on the 4985
View attachment 196291

that extra space looks good, same like i have with the Spektrum motor.

M2C chassies are then different to stock ?
Because in the stock chassies the HW 49motor scratches to chassies in talion v4 .mojave exb and kraton exb, also limitless.

MR Duke, your rear diff output looks very bad.

look at the red mark in my picture,
what is that part name ? is it rear diff output ?
7139C5D2-87BF-44F7-9672-f.jpeg

i do take care of my rigs, i spray them with silicone after washing. i wash them almost after every run if they got very wet or dirty.
i also do run always with dustcover to avoid bad stuff and dirt get in the motor bearings and center driveline.
So dirt and water is not the issue it failed after few runs.
The big issue is that the HW motor got 6s spec max.
There is no warranty drive it 8s.

Duke you are lucky i think. Not many can drive that motor 8s so long as you did maybe ?
I did have correct gear mest and so on. I have been in RC hobby about 20-years now. I know alot about this hobby actually :)
Im pretty new to Arrmas.
But i have run ´´alot´´ different cars before, different brands.

that extra space looks good, same like i have with the Spektrum motor.

M2C chassies are then different to stock ?
Because in the stock chassies the HW 49motor scratches to chassies in talion v4 .mojave exb and kraton exb, also limitless.

MR Duke, your rear diff output looks very bad.

look at the red mark in my picture,
what is that part name ? is it rear diff output ?
View attachment 196357

i do take care of my rigs, i spray them with silicone after washing. i wash them almost after every run if they got very wet or dirty.
i also do run always with dustcover to avoid bad stuff and dirt get in the motor bearings and center driveline.
So dirt and water is not the issue it failed after few runs.
The big issue is that the HW motor got 6s spec max.
There is no warranty drive it 8s.

Duke you are lucky i think. Not many can drive that motor 8s so long as you did maybe ?
I did have correct gear mest and so on. I have been in RC hobby about 20-years now. I know alot about this hobby actually :)
Im pretty new to Arrmas.
But i have run ´´alot´´ different cars before, different brands.
accelerated wear on drive cups and driveshaft pins are a direct result of running 8s and I will usually go through both set about every 25-30 packs. That one pictured has about 10-15 more packs of life left in it.

I’ve had the 4985 motor in my Typhon,Talion, outcast and Kraton and none of them touch the chassis on the bottom side of the motor unless the chassis is bent up in the rear. Now it will touch and leave little indentations from the fins on the chassis under the motor due to hard landings and normal chassis flex but spring right back to normal and maintain clearance as long as the chassis stays straight. If you are running a v4 or newer motor mount and the 4985 is touching the chassis at the rear it means you have a bend in it

anyways.
the important thing about these combos is finally that

1650kv is very fast and powerfull with only 6s
the spektrum 1250kv 8s needs 8s to run fast and big pinion.

To be really honest and professional with you guys.
My advice to all of you is buy the max6 1650kv 6s kombo if you drive offroad car that you jump, and drive in harder terrain.
Because you want your car light weight then. 6s 6000mah weight alot less than 6000mah 8s lipo.

The only good thing use 1250kv with 8s is actually in speedcars like 1/7 infraction och limitless. because 8s weight more,
and when you drive like 80mph you want have more weight, this will give better handling actually on asphalt.
The car will bounce alot less around.

When driving in tough terrain and jump alot you like to have light weight 6s lipos onboard.
This will save your drive train and parts better .

So in the end, i would choose 1650kv 6s to offroad cars
and the 1250kv 8s to street cars.
This is the best way do it i think at least.
The top speed will be same anyways.

Talion-.Mojave. Kraton. (offroad cars) choose 6s 1650kv
Felony, Infraction, Limitless (street cars) you should go 8s 1250kv spektrum motor with MAX6 esc because 8s will have more weight, and make the car
more stable drive in high speeds.

What ever you choose , the performance , like topspeed will be the same almost anyways. the top RPM.s will be
almost same with 6s 1650kv vs 8s 1250kv.

To save some a-arms, and other plastic parts, and drive train if you drive offroad and jumps , best will be light weight lipo 6s 1650kv

Only for asphalt, speedruns, then go 8s 1250 spektrum and max6 ESC is my recommentation.
The extra weight from 8s lipos will give you better handling actually when doing topspeed runs onroad..
The onroad car will be more pressed to the asphalt with the weight from 8s compared to 6s lipo.
This way you can stay onroad easier in very high speeds that the 8s will give.

It is very hard find 100% straight roads, there will mostly be tiny bumps always in the asphalt.
Performance will be the same anyways almost in the end.

My final tips are
More weight 8s will be better onroad in very high speeds. More stability offcourse. 1250kv 8s is the best choice then i think
Less weight 6s will be better offroad and jumps, you will save parts and driveline this way . 1650kv 6s will be best for offroad i think.
I believe many of you will agree with this ?
accelerated wear on drive cups and driveshaft pins are a direct result of running 8s and I will usually go through both set about every 25-30 packs. That one pictured has about 10-15 more packs of life left in it.

I’ve had the 4985 motor in my Typhon,Talion, outcast and Kraton and none of them touch the chassis on the bottom side of the motor unless the chassis is bent up in the rear. Now it will touch and leave little indentations from the fins on the chassis under the motor due to hard landings and normal chassis flex but spring right back to normal and maintain clearance as long as the chassis stays straight. If you are running a v4 or newer motor mount and the 4985 is touching the chassis at the rear it means you have a bend in it

I use the stronger center shaft always from GPM in 1/7 8s setups, they don't wobble, this way you will save your drivecups
check out this part, cheap also, it is straight and will stay straight because it is 1mm thicker than stock one that is crap
1/7
https://www.gpmracing-parts.com/arr...l-45-dogbone-2pc-set-gpm-maf037s-p-17732.html

Part location: Center transmission dogbone area

This product includes :

Long Dogbone 1pc
Short Dogbone 1pc

Major advantages of upgrading to this part/product:
1. Made by harden steel #45 for stronger use and smooth driving performance.
2. Thicker design upgraded from original dogbone 5mm diameter to 6mm diameter makes the movement of turn more powerful and not easy to break.

Last edited:
anyways.
the important thing about these combos is finally that

1650kv is very fast and powerfull with only 6s
the spektrum 1250kv 8s needs 8s to run fast and big pinion.

To be really honest and professional with you guys.
My advice to all of you is buy the max6 1650kv 6s kombo if you drive offroad car that you jump, and drive in harder terrain.
Because you want your car light weight then. 6s 6000mah weight alot less than 6000mah 8s lipo.

The only good thing use 1250kv with 8s is actually in speedcars like 1/7 infraction och limitless. because 8s weight more,
and when you drive like 80mph you want have more weight, this will give better handling actually on asphalt.
The car will bounce alot less around.

When driving in tough terrain and jump alot you like to have light weight 6s lipos onboard.
This will save your drive train and parts better .

So in the end, i would choose 1650kv 6s to offroad cars
and the 1250kv 8s to street cars.
This is the best way do it i think at least.
The top speed will be same anyways.

Talion-.Mojave. Kraton. (offroad cars) choose 6s 1650kv
Felony, Infraction, Limitless (street cars) you should go 8s 1250kv spektrum motor with MAX6 esc because 8s will have more weight, and make the car
more stable drive in high speeds.

What ever you choose , the performance , like topspeed will be the same almost anyways. the top RPM.s will be
almost same with 6s 1650kv vs 8s 1250kv.

To save some a-arms, and other plastic parts, and drive train if you drive offroad and jumps , best will be light weight lipo 6s 1650kv

Only for asphalt, speedruns, then go 8s 1250 spektrum and max6 ESC is my recommentation.
The extra weight from 8s lipos will give you better handling actually when doing topspeed runs onroad..
The onroad car will be more pressed to the asphalt with the weight from 8s compared to 6s lipo.
This way you can stay onroad easier in very high speeds that the 8s will give.

It is very hard find 100% straight roads, there will mostly be tiny bumps always in the asphalt.
Performance will be the same anyways almost in the end.

My final tips are
More weight 8s will be better onroad in very high speeds. More stability offcourse. 1250kv 8s is the best choice then i think
Less weight 6s will be better offroad and jumps, you will save parts and driveline this way . 1650kv 6s will be best for offroad i think.
I believe many of you will agree with this ?

I use the stronger center shaft always from GPM in 1/7 8s setups, they don't wobble, this way you will save your drivecups
check out this part, cheap also, it is straight and will stay straight because it is 1mm thicker than stock one that is crap
1/7
https://www.gpmracing-parts.com/arr...l-45-dogbone-2pc-set-gpm-maf037s-p-17732.html

Part location: Center transmission dogbone area

This product includes :

Long Dogbone 1pc
Short Dogbone 1pc

Major advantages of upgrading to this part/product:
1. Made by harden steel #45 for stronger use and smooth driving performance.
2. Thicker design upgraded from original dogbone 5mm diameter to 6mm diameter makes the movement of turn more powerful and not easy to break.
I just bought a used max 6 esc and a used Hobbywing 4985 1650kv and im away to run it on 6s to begin with the ill run it on 8s in my limitless buddy, many others do it without any issues! Ps. Sounds like your chassis is bent! Stock cups are miles better than gpm also, i personally would run scorched though for a speedrun car. Just my 2 cents bud

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back