Hobbywing & Hobbystar Sensored Compatiblity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptr1ck

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I have a Hobbywing 10BL120 sensored ESC that can run sensorless available to use for my Granite. I am looking to possibly get a Hobbystar Pro4 sensored motor. I have searched as much as I could and cannot find if they would be compatible. The connector seems to be the same.

Does anyone know if this would work or just say screw it and go with a sensorless motor?

I have a Hobbywing 10BL120 sensored ESC that can run sensorless available to use for my Granite. I am looking to possibly get a Hobbystar Pro4 sensored motor. I have searched as much as I could and cannot find if they would be compatible. The connector seems to be the same.

Does anyone know if this would work or just say screw it and go with a sensorless motor?
The only sensored connector that I have seen that is different is the Hobbywing AXE system for crawlers, and that is to make it waterproof. Otherwise, every sensor connection I've seen has been the same. So I am going to say that they will be compatible. Just keep in mind that out of the box most sensored setups aren't waterproof without some greasing.

The two are compatible. You can pretty much mix and match the standard sensored stuff.

I see the Xerun stuff says it has a special chip in it, which gives me some consternation.

I am running a Hobbywing Xerun XR8 SCT ESC with a Hobbystar Pro4 3000kv 4x4 SCT motor in my Tekno SCT410.3 and it works just fine in sensored mode. I haven't tried it in sensorless mode, but I would imagine that it would run like all of my other sensorless systems.

It's on the page for their XeRun 3660 G2 motors. Something about a chip to pair with Hobbywing ESCs to run sensored "full time".
Oh that. Yeah most sensored systems only run as sensored at low rpms and then they switch to sensorless at higher rpms as it is more efficient and you don't need the sensors at higher rpms for the most part. If you have a Hobbywing motor and ESC they can be ran as sensored all the time. So with the set up that you have it will be like mine where it is sensored at lower rpms and then sensorless at speed.

I guess now the question is, is it worth it to go sensored. Do you notice a difference with it?

I guess now the question is, is it worth it to go sensored. Do you notice a difference with it?
Unless you are doing actual racing or crawling with it, I would say no. The only time that I notice anything on mine is if I really slowly take off. So I never really notice it since I never really take off slow. I picked out the ESC and the motor that I wanted and they both happened to be sensored, so I figured I would try it out to see but I don't really notice any difference. The only reason that I leave it connected is that I believe that the ESC can read the temp of the motor but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Thanks a ton for the help! I'm undecided between the Pro4 and the Hobbystar 3670 3050kv. The description of the Pro4 seems to be more robust in construction in addition to the sensor. Not sure if the extra $$$ worth it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back