Hobbywing is giving me 3 warranty options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol how do you even clean a motor.

You've taken the motor apart, no way they will warranty it.
Just bite the bullet. This was a bad bearing from the get go, and it failed in the worst possible way.
I beg to differ. Who says opening any motor voids the warranty? :unsure: I know that is NOT written anywhere. Or did I miss that Memo.?:giggle:
Servicing, and cleaning and lubing the BB's is paramount to owning any brand RC BLX motor. Maintenance requires opening any Motor. Just the hard facts of doing RC. If you don't, then yes, you will keep buying new motors way more than you need to. Then it becomes a brand war, Some saying their brand is better, because it did not break. Others saying HW sucks because.......

This can happen with any brand motor within the Warranty period. CC or HW and all the less expensive ones. I would not hesitate running another HW motor.
The odds are that this won't happen again like this one. Unless you don't maintain it well enough. Replacing the BB's. etc. BB's don't last, they are consumable parts. Hence why they sell Motor Specific BB's in the first place.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. Who says opening any motor voids the warranty? :unsure: I know that is NOT written anywhere. Or did I miss that Memo.?:giggle:
Servicing, and cleaning and lubing the BB's is paramount to owning any brand RC BLX motor. Maintenance requires opening any Motor. Just the hard facts of doing RC. If you don't, then yes, you will keep buying new motors way more than you need to. Then it becomes a brand war, Some saying their brand is better, because it did not break. Others saying HW sucks because.......

This can happen with any brand motor within the Warranty period. CC or HW and all the less expensive ones. I would not hesitate running another HW motor.
The odds are that this won't happen again like this one. Unless you don't maintain it well enough. Replacing the BB's. etc. BB's don't last, they are consumable parts. Hence why they sell Motor Specific BB's in the first place.
Except for the Hobbywing 4985 1650kv motor those are like unicorn tears unless you want to spend $20 a bearing plus shipping.

I don’t think I’d expect a warranty on anything other than esc, rx, and tx. Everything else has rotating or binding parts or is susceptible to direct impact causing carnage.

If you don’t have a solid argument NOW for why they should warranty it, then sending it to them won’t convince them. When i warranties my stock motor, it was a shot in the dark and I had a motor ordered from JRC before I even sent them the email, expecting nothing. Though Arrma surprised me.

^^^
Arrma is an exception and also not an Upgrade brand. No hassel warranty, at least here in the States for sure.
I bricked one Arrma motor. That was on me.
And I only warranteed another Arrma motor once. It was brand new unused. Opened up to inspect like I always do. And I noticed the Armature's Kevlar wrap was all frayed on one end. Just Poor QC. Not they are any great motors to begin with. But they work fine if you take care of them. Sent HH a picture and the receipt, the rig being recently purchased, and Arrma just sent me another within 3 days. No questions asked whatsoever.
Don't expect HW or CC to do this. BTW, CC doesn't make their own motors. They are subbed out to an OE, unlike their CC ESC's.
I feel if you swap out to Ceramics out the gate when new, and maintain the motor, any brand, it will last for a long time or until you get tired of it.
Hybrid Ceramics can handle motor temps better than Chromium BB's. They cost a bit more.

The $140.00 HW 4985 1650 is a big gun. I imagine it's BB's would be more $$?:unsure:
It's all relative. Just never owned one of them.
:cool:

Last edited:
@SrC Feel free to disagree, but their warranty clause is pretty clear. See 2.2.
It would have to be obvious though with marks or using some loctite.

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't get the Memo...:LOL:
Those disclaimers above are not HW Motor specific. It is a Generic disclaimer for all HW products.
I dealt with HW tech support before regarding BB's, etc. And I was told I could easily replace them and with their recommended type of BB's. Provided me BB dimensions and all. A quickly replied email at that. You show me ONE motor that doesn't need to be "opened" to change out or service the BB's.:unsure: With motors, it's a grey area. Probably a case by case basis. Ultimately you are at HW's mercy, I agree.
With ESC's another story. I would not open them. Who does anyway? They are not user Servicable. Short of commonly replacing a Fan here and there. Changing out an ESC Fan is technically "Disassembly". Right? Does that Void the ESC Warranty?
Motors' BB's are Serviceable according to HW Tech support.
:cool:

Last edited:
Compared to Castle Hobbywing is much cheaper to purchase but in my experience they make good ESC‘s and motors and so you could be getting some cost cutting for that cheaper price (bearing and less warranty). That being said, if there was dirt, water, or overheating involved, then it could have contributed to that bearings demise especially on 3s with a big pinion on it. Then it could have been completely defective and you drew the short straw on it. I own and like both brands myself.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back