Hobbywing max 10 SCT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On top of what they said, keep in mind the max-10sct and Sidewinder 3 are way different in capability. A Sidewinder 3 is for lightweight 2wd short course trucks, and a max10sct is for heavy 4x4 sct’s and low end 8th scale buggies, so there’s going to be a price difference.

This is why I recommend the Sidewinder 8th combo to so many people. If you look around you can find the esc and motor for $140-150 and now you’re talking about an 8th scale monster truck system.

Hey, if I’m buying a max10sct for $20 less than a system that can handle trucks of so much higher caliper and 6s voltage, I’m paying that $20.
Stupid question, does the Sidewinder 8th have an adjustable bec?

Stupid question, does the Sidewinder 8th have an adjustable bec?
Nope. Cmon it’s obviously gotta cut cost somewhere. Besides, all my trucks run 6v servos so .5v lower doesn’t hurt me much at all. My revo runs an external bec so if I put one in then it’d REALLY not hurt at all.

I had one that went through so many trucks it was comical, thing had almost 300 runs on it and I finally sold it with my slash 4x4

Nope. Cmon it’s obviously gotta cut cost somewhere. Besides, all my trucks run 6v servos so .5v lower doesn’t hurt me much at all. My revo runs an external bec so if I put one in then it’d REALLY not hurt at all.
No it's been so long since the last time I looked into them I could not remember.

I'm looking for something to toss in my new project but idk how well it would work in it and might just either steal the BLX185 out of the Summit and buy a Hobbywing WP860 for it or I might just break down and buy another Max8 combo.

Oh I thought you were just mocking me lol.

You’ve almost but a tmaxx so many times I’ve almost bought a Sidewinder 8th again so many times.

On top of what they said, keep in mind the max-10sct and Sidewinder 3 are way different in capability. A Sidewinder 3 is for lightweight 2wd short course trucks, and a max10sct is for heavy 4x4 sct’s and low end 8th scale buggies, so there’s going to be a price difference.

This is why I recommend the Sidewinder 8th combo to so many people. If you look around you can find the esc and motor for $140-150 and now you’re talking about an 8th scale monster truck system.

Hey, if I’m buying a max10sct for $20 less than a system that can handle trucks of so much higher caliper and 6s voltage, I’m paying that $20.
TBH, I forgot about the lower SW8th. I was kind of kneejerk shopping as it was. I was about to spend $40 on the rotor replacement amain had, then I thought about it and remembered the HW max10 sct/3200 system and thought that would be a better place to spend my $ instead of fixing the motor I had knowing I'd likely have heat issues later now that I run 3S.

That said, the SW8th combo comes with only the 2200kv motor, beings it's a 7540, it would be irritating to put in the stampede. Guessing the HW system will fit easier.

I suppose I could have gotten the SW8th esc for $110, then bought the HW 3200kv motor separate for $70. Then I wouldn't have had to spend the extra $12 on the program box, so would have been $180 for a motor/esc vs $150 for the motor/esc/program box. Then again, the motor thermal protection is a nice feature...

Meh, if the max10/3200 works for my needs, then it's still cheaper. I doubt I'll ever get rid of the stampede, if I do, it's because I'm quitting the hobby. It continues to be one of my favorite trucks to drive/beat on.

Oh I thought you were just mocking me lol.

You’ve almost but a tmaxx so many times I’ve almost bought a Sidewinder 8th again so many times.
Nope seriously was having a major brain fart.

Hmm it says it will work in 1/8th truggys :unsure:

TBH, I forgot about the lower SW8th. I was kind of kneejerk shopping as it was. I was about to spend $40 on the rotor replacement amain had, then I thought about it and remembered the HW max10 sct/3200 system and thought that would be a better place to spend my $ instead of fixing the motor I had knowing I'd likely have heat issues later now that I run 3S.

That said, the SW8th combo comes with only the 2200kv motor, beings it's a 7540, it would be irritating to put in the stampede. Guessing the HW system will fit easier.

I suppose I could have gotten the SW8th esc for $110, then bought the HW 3200kv motor separate for $70. Then I wouldn't have had to spend the extra $12 on the program box, so would have been $180 for a motor/esc vs $150 for the motor/esc/program box. Then again, the motor thermal protection is a nice feature...

Meh, if the max10/3200 works for my needs, then it's still cheaper. I doubt I'll ever get rid of the stampede, if I do, it's because I'm quitting the hobby. It continues to be one of my favorite trucks to drive/beat on.
Is this the motor you are looking for?

What size is the motor in that Hobbywing combo? I had to cut out my chassis a little bit to get my 3665 can motor to fit in my Stampede

Last edited:

Lol yeah it definitely wouldn’t be that good for a stampede with the chassis dremeling you’d need to do. And I don’t recommend anyone buy just the esc, because then a mamba monster is at the same price so at that point, there’s no point. You definitely made the right decision with the max10sct.

Nope seriously was having a major brain fart.

Hmm it says it will work in 1/8th truggys :unsure:
Yeah an sw8 will do just fine in an 8th scale truggy. I wouldn’t push it with anything larger than a 4082 though. If you keep the stock 4074 it’ll be a killer esc.

I’d consider it, well in my experience, just a hair less powerful than hobbywing’s max8, but definitely no mamba monster 2. However, definitely a step above hobbywing’s 8BL-150.

Lol yeah it definitely wouldn’t be that good for a stampede with the chassis dremeling you’d need to do. And I don’t recommend anyone buy just the esc, because then a mamba monster is at the same price so at that point, there’s no point. You definitely made the right decision with the max10sct.

Yeah an sw8 will do just fine in an 8th scale truggy. I wouldn’t push it with anything larger than a 4082 though. If you keep the stock 4074 it’ll be a killer esc.

I’d consider it, well in my experience, just a hair less powerful than hobbywing’s max8, but definitely no mamba monster 2. However, definitely a step above hobbywing’s 8BL-150.
Why is the Sidewinder 8th combo always out of stock, I think that is why I haven't looked at it in so long.

-edit- Found one for $187.00 ............................. I can get a Max8 for $163.09.

Is this the motor you are looking for?
View attachment 32102

What size is the motor in that Hobbywing combo? I had to cut out my chassis a little bit to get my 3665 can motor to fit in my Stampede
Yep, 1410-1Y is the one I broke the shaft on. 3660SL 3200kv is the motor in the combo.

This is what I bought to replace the castle system:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073DCT1X8

I'm fine with grinding the chassis a bit. I'm guessing you have to remove some material from under the motor and the esc still fits in the stock spot.

Yep, 1410-1Y is the one I broke the shaft on. 3660SL 3200kv is the motor in the combo.

This is what I bought to replace the castle system:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073DCT1X8

I'm fine with grinding the chassis a bit. I'm guessing you have to remove some material from under the motor and the esc still fits in the stock spot.
I had to remove one of the esc posts, but I am 5mm longer than you.

I really need to figure out a way to make a better esc plate.

Last edited:
I like Castle. I own two Mamba X's and a Mamba Monster X. Very good ESC's. I also owned an SW4 but I didn't care for the weaksauce BEC. My one complaint about Castle is that it very expensive. I recently purchased two Max10 SCT combos and a Max6. I'm extremely happy with them. Fantastic value for the money.

Why is the Sidewinder 8th combo always out of stock, I think that is why I haven't looked at it in so long.

-edit- Found one for $187.00 ............................. I can get a Max8 for $163.09.
Wowzer. That’s a ripoff. Maybe people are starting to buy them? I got mine for $149 off rc planet.

After a quick google search I found one for $157. Guess the demand has gone up since I last checked. Well that sucks. Given, it’s $9 more than I got mine for, now it’s almost $30 more than a max10sct.

Wowzer. That’s a ripoff. Maybe people are starting to buy them? I got mine for $149 off rc planet.

After a quick google search I found one for $157. Guess the demand has gone up since I last checked. Well that sucks. Given, it’s $9 more than I got mine for, now it’s almost $30 more than a max10sct.

For the Arrma 3s trucks, the SW8th would be overkill, no? I would think the Max10 SCT would be a better option for that platform. If you wanted to run higher than 3s, I would just throw a BLX 185 in there. You can get them for dirt cheap.

Not awesome news for me if this is true... I just bought the HW Max10 SCT/3200kv combo to put in my stampede 4x4 in place of my castle sct sv3/3800kv. The motor shaft snapped off today on the 3800kv. I had been running 2S until recently and I'm pretty sure running 3S this summer when it's 75F+ outside, I'd have been having overheating issues with the castle system. So, was figuring the max10 sct/3200 would be a good choice to replace it.

I paid $150 for the esc/motor and program box, shipped. I paid $100 shipped for my last castle sct sv3/3800kv I bought on ebay in September. Think I paid a bit more for the one in my stampede. I already had the castle field card as I bought that when I got my ERBEv1, otherwise it would have been $120 for one of the castle systems to include that.

As for the motor temp sensor, does the combo esc/motor come with the wire for that? I see it mentioned in the description that there's a port for it and it will work with the max10 sct esc, but none of the photo's show the cable. Do I need to buy that separate?
Yes it does come with the temp cable, just picked up 2 of these combos for my sons trucks, twice as fast as the stock brushed setup with the 15t blx pinion and spur/slipper. The boys have been running the crap out of them in a large grass field almost wide open the whole 5000 mah pack and we haven't seen temps on motor above 130 and esc 110. Love this setup!

For mine, I likely won't put a heat sink on first, but I will throw on the castle motor fan I have. I think it will fit as it was a 3552 motor. Will at least keep air moving around the motor.

Last time out I got some noticeable cogging on mine in my BRCC running an 18t pinion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back