Kraton Hobbywing Max 5 1100kv cutting out on 6s, Went up in smoke on 8s (read full thread)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandit_VI

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here, I just got a k8 exb with a Hobbywing Max 5 1100 kv combo in it, and I tried to just make sure everything was working properly. I only have 3s 30c 5000 mAh batteries at the moment to test it, so I only ran it on 6s. I noticed that often when I would full throttle it, the esc would cut out as if it was overheating (it wasn't). But then would come back to and have full power for a bit before it would do it again. Im scratching my head a bit right now, as I'm not sure if it's A) a faulty esc B) an esc that's not calibrated properly C) the batteries do not have enough discharge rate for the system or D) something else. So I guess I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone here, why is my esc cutting out and what is the recommended minimum power lipos to use for this 8s system, thank you guys so much in advance, I'm still really new to 8s systems.

If your 3s lipos were at least 50c and over 6k mah , maybe you would have better luck. IDK for sure. Lipos could be old and tired also and both not well matched to each other.
Remember, you have an 1100kv motor. And depending on your pinion gear, amp cutting will result. Sounds like what is happening. don't continue using these lipos on your K8s. Get 2 4s lipos. 50c minumum or more . Preferably 6k mah, and higher the better.
You really should be running 8s no doubt. This rig is 30+ pounds. :LOL: New $rig$ and all. Why skimp on the lipos at this point?:unsure: Don't do that.
Those lipos you are using seem underrated for even a 6s ESC. (being 30c)
My spin.
Good luck

If your 3s lipos were at least 50c and over 6k mah , maybe you would have better luck. IDK for sure. Lipos could be old and tired also and both not well matched to each other.
Remember, you have an 1100kv motor. And depending on your pinion gear, amp cutting will result. Sounds like what is happening. don't continue using these lipos on your K8s. Get 2 4s lipos. 50c minumum or more . Preferably 6k mah, and higher the better.
You really should be running 8s no doubt. This rig is 30+ pounds. :LOL: New $rig$ and all. Why skimp on the lipos at this point?:unsure: Don't do that.
Those lipos you are using seem underrated for even a 6s ESC. (being 30c)
My spin.
Good luck
Hey thanks for the advice, I picked up some 4s 5000mah 50c batteries (it was the highest my hobby shop had), and I just ran them to see if it was the batteries. The car was running almost perfectly, plenty of power, no more cutouts, but then the esc just went up in smoke 5 minutes ago. Now I sit here with the smell of burning electronics ringing in my nose.

Don't know exactly what happened, but I guess this solves the mystery for now. They were brand new 4s lipos, and the other 3s lipos I used were almost brand new. I guess the esc was already on its way out? Idk, it doesn't matter now tho. I'm about to do a lot more research so this doesn't happen again tho. This is hopefully the last esc I pop lol.

Wait, hold on. As I'm typing this I just looked at it a little closer, and one of the solders from the battery connector to the esc came loose and the whole connector came out, could that have been it?

Wow. Sorry, that's hard luck. :( This does happen. You are not alone. QC for these Firma ESC's are just horrible.:mad: If you feel the Servo may have contributed to this and can in some cases, ask for a new servo also. Servo may be compromised also. Many been through this.
Call HH they will just send another ESC . Just offer a picture of the ESC and the receipt.

Wow. Sorry, that's hard luck. :( This does happen. You are not alone. QC for these Firma ESC's are just horrible.:mad: If you feel the Servo may have contributed to this and can in some cases, ask for a new servo also. Servo may be compromised also. Many been through this.
Call HH they will just send another ESC . Just offer a picture of the ESC and the receipt.
Unfortunately I bought the car second hand from a presumably reputable seller to save some cash, so the warranty is def out the window. The car is actually in pretty decent condition other than a slightly bent chassis. I asked him, and he said he ran it perfectly fine for a few months with no problems whatsoever (which makes sense, these escs going up in flames are kindve unpredictable). But it's still a head scratcher why after I got it and put decent lipos in it, it went up. Upon further inspection one of the factory solders from HW def failed, it looks like the black cable somehow pulled out (I didn't even begin bashing it, just driving it around at half throttle to make sure everything was working properly) and there's a hole blown out the side underneath the B bullet port which is also really weird.
PXL_20211110_230711132.jpg
PXL_20211110_230747943.jpg

If one connection of the three wires going to the motor is loose the ESC will burn. There is basically not other option. The energy has to go somewhere. If it can't reach the engine the energy has to turn into heat - fire.
Most likely a wire badly soldered at "B". Either by the factory or the seller. Seems like poor soldering on the side connecting to the battery too.

The lipos were not the problem resulting in the ESC burnt. Cold weather will limit the Amp draw and so limiting the power the ESC gets. But definitely no broken ESC from that.

If one connection of the three wires going to the motor is loose the ESC will burn. There is basically not other option. The energy has to go somewhere. If it can't reach the engine the energy has to turn into heat - fire.
Most likely a wire badly soldered at "B". Either by the factory or the seller. Seems like poor soldering on the side connecting to the battery too.

The lipos were not the problem resulting in the ESC burnt. Cold weather will limit the Amp draw and so limiting the power the ESC gets. But definitely no broken ESC from that.
Thank you for the response, I didn't really know what caused this, I was hoping it was a poor solder. I ordered up a new max5 to put in, but I haven't replaced the motor, servo, or receiver. I'm hoping they're fine and didn't cause it to go up in smoke, should I replace them too or just hope for the best? I'm really not trying to burn out a brand new esc lol, thanks in advance

Motor and Servo are 100% fine
Check if the cable from the ESC to the receiver is damaged. Should be fine. That cable is only responsible for the impulse that goes to the ESC. Should be 99,9% OK. Little chance it is damaged. The receiver should be fine. If it works it's fine. If not it's dead.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back