Kraton Hobbywing max 6 and 4985 motor combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, my bad😂
On a 6s model it will not fit on the mount. Pps makes a great mount that will allow that. Also if you are going to go that route 25ish for 8s and 30ish or less for 6s that esc doesn’t like that setup on 6s very much. Too many amps

On a 6s model it will not fit on the mount. Pps makes a great mount that will allow that. Also if you are going to go that route 25ish for 8s and 30ish or less for 6s that esc doesn’t like that setup on 6s very much. Too many amps
I’ve heard people bending the pps mount, I want to get it but just wanna be sure, I’m just gonna run on 8s(trying to find some light 4s battery’s, lmk if you know of any) because the motor is so heavy I wanna keep it light, any tips?

I’ve heard people bending the pps mount, I want to get it but just wanna be sure, I’m just gonna run on 8s(trying to find some light 4s battery’s, lmk if you know of any) because the motor is so heavy I wanna keep it light, any tips

I have been running that mount since it first came out. Haven’t bent one yet but I also support the back end of the motor so I am sure that helps a lot. I can always print you a motor support if you would like.

I have been running that mount since it first came out. Haven’t bent one yet but I also support the back end of the motor so I am sure that helps a lot. I can always print you a motor support if you would like.
I will look into it, where is a good place to buy the mount? I’ve seen full kits but I don’t wanna pay 119 just for that

If you contact pps I am sure they will set you in the correct direction. I run the full setup in mine but I run hard and the extra strength is what I was going for in my situation.

That’s a huge pinion! What are my benifits
It’s not really that big honestly. You have to remember that the 4985 is a 1650kv motor vs the stock 2050kv so you’ll need to run a larger pinion than the stock motor just to get the same wheel speed. For example a 16t pinion with the stock 2050kv motor will get you roughly 65mph but you’d have to run a 20t with the 1650kv motor to get the same 65mph. More wheel speed equals better mid air control along with a higher top speed.

Can anyone give an rough estimate of power increase in percentage on max 6 vs stock motor, and what max6 model is the most powerful that can fit with mods or without on the KV5? thanks.

Can anyone give an rough estimate of power increase in percentage on max 6 vs stock motor, and what max6 model is the most powerful that can fit with mods or without on the KV5? thanks.
There is only one HowbbyWing Max6 ESC model....other models are Max5, Max8, Max10. For a 1650kv motor, the Max6 is the right match\model for that motor.

EXB and the v5 6S Kraton will have the same size ESC tray. The stock tray for both will need a slight modification to fit the Max6 which I did to my EXB kept the stock tray. Or, you can get one made by MC2 or BasherQueen that is a direct fit and replacement for the v5 and EXB ESC tray.

Last edited:
This was my first impression of the Max6 4985 on 8s. It felt like too much at first but you get use to how fast the vehicle reacts to throttle input after a few bash sessions.
I’ve now been running this system exclusively on 8s for the last 2 years and have gotten very comfortable with the extra power.
So much that I ended up going from 20/46 to 22/46 gearing with backflip LPs.
That’s about as much as I can push this setup and still manage temps until LVC.

This was my first impression of the Max6 4985 on 8s. It felt like too much at first but you get use to how fast the vehicle reacts to throttle input after a few bash sessions.
I’ve now been running this system exclusively on 8s for the last 2 years and have gotten very comfortable with the extra power.

I would love to be your neighbor....but at some point, you would need to put a TALL fence up to keep me out :LOL:

I didn't realize you ran 8S in it until now... lol!

I just got the 4985 for mine to try with a 21T pinion on it, but on 6S. Will see how it does soon I hope. I had a 4092/1650kv in it with 19T before, but the motor would get up to 170F+ on a 75-80F day with fans. I found a fan mount for the larger motor and have a couple 40mm fans on it as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back