Kraton Hobbywing max 6 and 4985 motor combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put a max6 in my outcast with the stock motor so I could go up to 14T vs the 13T to run at the grass bmx track I run at. With 14T, the esc would overheat on me after about 12 minutes. I need just 1T more speed to clear some of the jumps without being "is it going to clear is it going to clear... no... lawn dart". I can clear on 13T, but I have to hit it in just the right spot. 14T gives me a bit more leeway.
Cool. Thanks for that info. I'll probably do that too ?

Do you just use double sided tape to secure the max 6 esc into the Kraton 6s? Thanks.

I used hot glue and 3 zip ties and it has not budged. Although there was that crash that stripped the battery box and esc plate off the screws!

Do you just use double sided tape to secure the max 6 esc into the Kraton 6s? Thanks.
I used double sided gorilla tape and 4 screws through the bottom of the esc tray. Just make sure to measure for the screws properly as they are very short.

I just put a max6 in my outcast with the stock motor so I could go up to 14T vs the 13T to run at the grass bmx track I run at. With 14T, the esc would overheat on me after about 12 minutes. I need just 1T more speed to clear some of the jumps without being "is it going to clear is it going to clear... no... lawn dart". I can clear on 13T, but I have to hit it in just the right spot. 14T gives me a bit more leeway.
I'm still learning but would the Max6 possibly be overheating because the stock motors KV is too high for it? I see the 4985 is only slightly higher than the Max6's rating but, evidently, it appears to be a superior match and it is even sold as a set... which I am going to buy, : )

I'm still learning but would the Max6 possibly be overheating because the stock motors KV is too high for it? I see the 4985 is only slightly higher than the Max6's rating but, evidently, it appears to be a superior match and it is even sold as a set... which I am going to buy, : )
From what I have seen no. The max 6 esc is capable of running the stock motor with no issues.

The overheating issue was with the blx185, which is why I got the max6 to see if it allows me to gear a bit higher.

I use a castle fan on mine. Early days of use but no heat issues with 18t pinion. The fan is for up to 48mm diameter so it’s not ideal at 49mm but it does fit okay and works fine. The fan is Castle Creations 15 Series CC Blower Motor Fan (38 - 48mm Diameter).
image.jpg

How do you work out the speed MPH capability of this combo with 50t spur but different Pinion options?

Last edited:
what fan system are u running on your 4985 1650kv motor. i want the best i can i find but am kinda having a hard time finding a 50mm fan motor mount. any ideas thanks man
Fans are 30mm aluminum from RCjuice and the mount I made myself

How do you work out the speed MPH capability of this combo with 50t spur but different Pinion options?

I use this... rc-car-calculator ... it gives you a rough idea of what you'll end up with..??
All the info you need is on Arrma's site and you have the motor/kv to add..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back