Kraton Hobbywing max 6 vs Mmx8s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaden1308

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have a hobbywing 1650kv motor and a max 8 witch gets way too hot so I am trying to choose a esc to get the mmx8s or the max 6 I want to know witch can can put out more amps and I know that the mmx8s runs cool and that's good because where I live it's hot and I watched a video on YouTube and the guy was running on 6s with a max 6 and it overheated and also does one have more punch than the other because I love wheelies and standing backflips

You can do standing backflips with either. up your center diff weight to 1 million. The max8 was a little small for the kraton. it's a large truck and large tires. Pretty sure the max8 only really likes 2200kv and higher too.

I have a hobbywing 1650kv motor and a max 8 witch gets way too hot so I am trying to choose a esc to get the mmx8s or the max 6 I want to know witch can can put out more amps and I know that the mmx8s runs cool and that's good because where I live it's hot and I watched a video on YouTube and the guy was running on 6s with a max 6 and it overheated and also does one have more punch than the other because I love wheelies and standing backflips
I run the Max 6 and 1650KV motor 23T pinion in hot weather in my area (almost 100F). Fans on the motor. Have a you thought about just buying a Max 6 instead? That would be more affordable. Is it for off road bashing? Yeah the Max 8 can't take the heavier rigs. Heck, it even hits thermal on my heavy Maxx V2 with higher gearing. That 1650KV is way too much for the Max 8 too. Overheated? Was the fan broken on that Max 6? Even with the MMX8S, you have to be careful when it's very hot outside. At least for me, my batteries start getting very hot if I push it for too long. I've never had an Max 6 overheat in my Mojave EXB, and Hybrid Typhon 6s.
I've done some comparisons running HW vs Castle on my two Mojave EXB trucks :

Last edited:
Can you elaborate? I thought lower kv was easier on ESCs.
It's alot more load, it's a larger motor. Straight from hobbywing's page-

max8 limits.jpg

I've had max 6's thermal on me when in my limitless geared 29/40. I replaced with an MMX8s and it never happened again. Granted I think most people not trying to bash with such tall gearing. I've never had a max 6 thermal in a kraton or typhon though.

I've had max 6's thermal on me when in my limitless geared 29/40. I replaced with an MMX8s and it never happened again. Granted I think most people not trying to bash with such tall gearing. I've never had a max 6 thermal in a kraton or typhon though.
what motor were you running? i was going to do 8s on my 1717/mmx8s geared 24/46 in my infraction since i don't have a large area. I may not even really need to worry about fans if yours did that fine.

what motor were you running? i was going to do 8s on my 1717/mmx8s geared 24/46 in my infraction since i don't have a large area. I may not even really need to worry about fans if yours did that fine.
it was the ezrun 4985. I replaced it with a 1717 soon after. Tbh, I use 12v fans on a 4s battery for whatever motor I put in that rig.

it was the ezrun 4985. I replaced it with a 1717 soon after. Tbh, I use 12v fans on a 4s battery for whatever motor I put in that rig.
right on, i have 12v fans for the 1717 and I forgot i have an xlx2 for the infraction so i'll let it ride on the stock one. Just hoping since i'm not pushing it it won't go bonfire status hahahaha. i already did the firmware update.

Ah. I was confused because you didn’t say larger motor, only lower kv. You can get lower kv without going to a larger motor.
the hobbywing 1650 is a 4985 motor, and the stock one is 40 or 42 and like 70 or 74. i can't remember. i don't run any of my 6s trucks on the blx or spektrum power.

Had the max6 overheat a few times after install, running 4985 and 4092 1650kv and killed the stock fan quick. Upgraded the esc fan to a alu 35mm on 10mm spacer for better flow. newer broke or overheated again.

Funny enough, I just put the max 6 combo into the wifey typhon earlier today and we just got back from running it. She ended up hitting thermal on the esc and motor temps were 120-130f. Geared 27/40 with 76f ambient temps. We were actually really surprised as previously she had a TP 4060 1750 kv geared 24/40 and she pretty much never hit thermal on the max 6 with that setup. All I did was swap motors to the ezrun 4985 and boom thermal city. I would have expected the TP motor to work the esc harder.

Had the max6 overheat a few times after install, running 4985 and 4092 1650kv and killed the stock fan quick. Upgraded the esc fan to a alu 35mm on 10mm spacer for better flow. newer broke or overheated again.
How did you get your Max 6 to mount in your truck? My buddy has one and his esc always turns into a bouncy ball inside his chassis, and he uses the good 3m grey foam sticky tape. It's one of the reasons why I'm hesitant to make the switch.

How did you get your Max 6 to mount in your truck? My buddy has one and his esc always turns into a bouncy ball inside his chassis, and he uses the good 3m grey foam sticky tape. It's one of the reasons why I'm hesitant to make the switch.
I use double sided tape and 2 zip ties going under the esc tray. You really need to cut the lip off the esc try to get the esc to sit flush on the tape. I've never had a problem after doing that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back