Hobbywing Max10 SCT Issues (Video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I bought two Max10 SCT ESC's with the HW 3660 3200Kv motors a little over a month ago. I installed them in my Granite and my Big Rock Crew Cab. They ran fine out of the box. I noticed a little cogging but nothing like the stock BLX100 system. Each time I took the trucks out the cogging became more and more noticeable. The last time I had my BRCC out, it was so bad that I was unable to maintain speed up a dirt ramp. The uphill resistance was enough to cause massive loss of power. I made a video to demonstrate what I am talking about.

I emailed Hobbywing and I am hoping they repair or warranty both ESC's.

I bought two Max10 SCT ESC's with the HW 3660 3200Kv motors a little over a month ago. I installed them in my Granite and my Big Rock Crew Cab. They ran fine out of the box. I noticed a little cogging but nothing like the stock BLX100 system. Each time I took the trucks out the cogging became more and more noticeable. The last time I had my BRCC out, it was so bad that I was unable to maintain speed up a dirt ramp. The uphill resistance was enough to cause massive loss of power. I made a video to demonstrate what I am talking about.

I emailed Hobbywing and I am hoping they repair or warranty both ESC's.

that sucks...

Probably a bad Cap. Try a cap pack before you go further, but before that, try a Tactic radio first. Spektrum receivers rob a lot of power.

What servos are in there?

Probably a bad Cap. Try a cap pack before you go further, but before that, try a Tactic radio first. Spektrum receivers rob a lot of power.

What servos are in there?
I've never noticed spektrum receivers robbing anything... I run them in all 10 of my vehicles. 3 of which run off 6V NiMH packs in my nitros.

Just curious, did you try a different battery?

I just installed this system in my stampede 4x4... seeing this is making my stomach hurt a little. lol!

Mine came with a mini external cap pack... but I wasn't sure where to install it, since the battery wires were already soldered to it, so I didn't try adding it. Did you install that on yours?

spektrum receivers are notorious for being power hungry.

Losi/ horizon stuff comes with ESCs that have different setups to cope with the spektrum stuff.

I've never noticed spektrum receivers robbing anything... I run them in all 10 of my vehicles. 3 of which run off 6V NiMH packs in my nitros.

I just installed this system in my stampede 4x4... seeing this is making my stomach hurt a little. lol!

Mine came with a mini external cap pack... but I wasn't sure where to install it, since the battery wires were already soldered to it, so I didn't try adding it. Did you install that on yours?

They all come with a small cap pack

spektrum receivers are notorious for being power hungry.

Been using them for 15 years, never read/heard of that before until you. I've read a ton about them having range issues, but nothing anywhere about power consumption. Strange I never ran across it.

1. Try tactic
  2. Try glitch buster
  3. Try cap pack

Why would I put a Tactic radio in there? I’m not going to use one. Like @olds97_lss I run 10 Spektrum receivers. I don’t have ant issues with them in my other trucks. The servo is an ADS-15 from an 8s truck. I really don’t want to have to run cap packs and glitch busters in my Granite and BRCC and I don’t think I should have to.

I didn’t try a different battery. I will though. Also, I didn’t do anything with the extra cap pack. I thought it was a spare.

I didn’t try a different battery. I will though. Also, I didn’t do anything with the extra cap pack. I thought it was a spare.

I’m not sure what the internal BEC specs are like, but I stopped using Spektrum back when I ran Castle because the castle internal BEC was terrible.

It is just a method of trial and error. Why don’t you want to run a cap pack? It exists for a good reason. Also, try one of your Arrma 6s escs with the Hobbywing motor just to help rule things out. Let’s say Hobbywing sends you 2 more ESCs and then it happens again.

I don't think it's a spare, I think it's an additional external one.

From the manual:
2019-0316-HobbywingMax10-CapPack-Manual01.jpg

Your running 3S, right?

I’m not sure what the internal BEC specs are like, but I stopped using Spektrum back when I ran Castle because the castle internal BEC was terrible.

It is just a method of trial and error. Why don’t you want to run a cap pack? It exists for a good reason. Also, try one of your Arrma 6s escs with the Hobbywing motor just to help rule things out. Let’s say Hobbywing sends you 2 more ESCs and then it happens again.

BEC is 6v or 7.4v.

BEC is 6v or 7.4v.
Also, it's 4A continuous/8A max.

I have mine set at 6V and punch set at 2.

What packs are you using? Brand, capacity, C rating?

So far, I've only run mine like 5 minutes just to suss out the gearing in my parking lot. It was a lot more agressive than the castle sct sv3/3800kv it replaced. I may have to increase my center diff oil weight some. Seems to really unload to the front now. Will hopefully get out tomorrow to see how it does at the skate parks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back