Hobbywing Max10 SCT Issues (Video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't sure if you were using the HW motor as well or just the esc with your BLX 3660 3200kV motor.
Nope. Tried them both and using the Arrma motor rules the motor out since the Max10 SCT runs like garbage on both, lol ?

So here is the video of the Max10 SCT running the same setup as the Mamba X. At the end I even switch back to the Mamba X to show the difference in the same video. Hobbywing is a good brand. I have to think there is something wrong with it because it's hard to believe that the Max10 SCT would be that bad.

While I edit the video of the Mamba X running the BLX100 motor with a 20t pinion, here is the latest response from Hobbywing:

Hello Sir,

It's pretty tricky to say if something is "normal" or not based on anything detailed or otherwise. Overall, could be gearing topics, could be simple connection issues, could be a number of small issues that make the system cog a bit more. Sensorless systems in general won't do real well from stand still under load. Higher gearing adds to the load, and can increase the cogging. We appreciate and understand the want for higher gearing, and the suspicion that is something is wrong. Looks like you system is putting a lot of load on the packs and trigging some cogging and perhaps some overload to the point of turning the lipo mode on.

Connections will do this. Putting faster systems in, with more pinion, puts "tons" of load on the battery pack, and can trick the ESC into thinking the lipo is dead momentarily. Depending on "how hard" it' gets driving, or how often it's cogging out, could amplify the issue when "other stuff" works fine.

RTR items are not as aggressive when it comes to "giving what the driver asks", so running some high power setups in place of the RTR electronics can yield "new problems" that folks never assume were there before. The issues were present, just not noticed, or triggered by the RTR setup.

It's hard to ever 'know for sure'. We've seen folks rigs be way over setup for the size of the motor, the driving style, and the basic gearing.

Based on the problem getting "worse" over time, could be connector related, or could be "damage" to something in the electronics. If this was our own vehicle in testing, we would be replacing the Battery Connector on the ESC, as well as trying a "Fresh" battery pack, or at least putting "new plugs" on our own battery packs. Cannot tell you how often new plugs fix problems like this.

Faster motors and taller gearing, is not really an ideal setup, and will generally cause loads on the system and battery pack that will make strange things start to happen. May work okay for a few runs, then act up because of the loads wearing on the plugs, or the battery pack, or even the ESC itself.
HOBBYWING
Innovation Powered by Passion
This sounds like such a copy and paste response.

My stampede has a weird chatter to it when it's under power, but it sounded the same with the castle sct sv3/3800kv in it. Not sure if it's the MIP X-duty's or the tekno dogbone for the center or what. Unfortunately, I dumped all my original footage of me at the grass bmx track. I had some footage of me screwing around slowly climbing some of the big jumps just to compare to yours... but in my stupor as I was editing half asleep, I cut that all out of it...and now it's gone.

So I just skimmed over both videos and all I have to say is wow what a difference. I'm still convinced that there is something wrong with that esc. The Max10 SCT I have isn't even a real Max10 SCT it's the Redcat version out of the TR-MT10E 80a 3s capable, it pushes along the Stampede 4x4 with the 3100kv 3665 motor without even breaking a sweat and I do not have it geared low at all, hell I have mine geared higher than @olds97_lss has is real Max10 SCT 3200kv 3660 system. I'm geared 14/52.

Last edited:
About those driveshaft.. LOOSEN THAT CLUTCH!, well, i don't mean to shout but.. it pains me to see those break so much, you don't leave spare for the rest of us! :)

My Typhon running the blx100 on 20t doesn't cog nearly as bad. and now that i think of it, maybe it's all because of that tight clutch of yours? maybe if it slips a little at start it helps the esc to sync with the motor?

About those driveshaft.. LOOSEN THAT CLUTCH!, well, i don't mean to shout but.. it pains me to see those break so much, you don't leave spare for the rest of us! :)

My Typhon running the blx100 on 20t doesn't cog nearly as bad. and now that i think of it, maybe it's all because of that tight clutch of yours? maybe if it slips a little at start it helps the esc to sync with the motor?
Wheel size. That's the difference.

Here is their latest reply:

Hello,

Did you change any of the settings in the Max 10 SCT to address any of this?
Perhaps the Punch setting going all the way would clear things up.

Assuming the same plugs on both ESC's, and the Arma RTR motor is the "same size" as your Hobbywing motor. Contrary to common thoughts, the staff here at Hobbywing has little to no information on the RTR stuff Hobbywing makes for various brands.

To send items in for testing, step #1 is to complete the RMA Form on the website. HobbywingDirect.com and the form is under Support. Please note Email #182174 so these exchanges are tied to your RMA.
HOBBYWING
Innovation Powered by Passion

I am filling out the online RMA form today. Here is something that is worth noting. Failure to wire in the included capacitor voids your warranty. To me that is ludicrous. Why don't they make the ESC with it already wired? And you have 30 days of warranty. That's it. https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/pages/rma

Here is their latest reply:

I am filling out the online RMA form today. Here is something that is worth noting. Failure to wire in the included capacitor voids your warranty. To me that is ludicrous. Why don't they make the ESC with it already wired? And you have 30 days of warranty. That's it. https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/pages/rma
30 days? I thought they had a 1 year warranty?
Crap I bought mine from Banggood. "Purchasing from Hong Kong retailers and eBay sellers who do not follow HOBBYWING MAP policy deem item non-warranty. "

30 days? I thought they had a 1 year warranty?
Crap I bought mine from Banggood. "Purchasing from Hong Kong retailers and eBay sellers who do not follow HOBBYWING MAP policy deem item non-warranty. "
They list 30 days in one spot on the website but in another spot they state 180 days. So who knows. I'll let you know what their response to my RMA request is. I purchased it on Feb 8.

Tried seeing what mine did inside last week on some slick pressed board. At the very beginning, where it start/stopped/start/stopped when I was creeping forward, I wasn't doing that. I was holding the throttle steady. Other than that, I didn't notice anything too weird. Will try some slow speed hill climb stuff when I run it outside next to see how it reacts.

Tried seeing what mine did inside last week on some slick pressed board. At the very beginning, where it start/stopped/start/stopped when I was creeping forward, I wasn't doing that. I was holding the throttle steady. Other than that, I didn't notice anything too weird. Will try some slow speed hill climb stuff when I run it outside next to see how it reacts.

I'm sure your gearing is way lower than what I was running. If I dropped a 13t in my truck it would run like a champ. Gear your truck up and then see how it does.

I'm sure your gearing is way lower than what I was running. If I dropped a 13t in my truck it would run like a champ. Gear your truck up and then see how it does.
Well, you were also comparing it to a comparable esc. My comparison is with the traxxas vxl-3s/3500 and castle sct sv3/3800. I never ran the vxl-3s/3500 on 3S as it would overheat on 2S pretty easily in the stampede. Th castle did ok on 2S, but I wasn't sure how it would handle 3S when temps outside got up there. And when I snapped the shaft off the 3800kv... I figured I'd try the max10 sct/3200kv instead replacing the motor. I suppose I could have just gotten the 3200kv motor and saw how that did.

I have it geared where I want it. It's a pain to control now when it gets up to speed. The stampede is taller than the granite and having the big 7200mah 3S pack in there which is high in the chassis doesn't help matters much.

Well, you were also comparing it to a comparable esc. My comparison is with the traxxas vxl-3s/3500 and castle sct sv3/3800. I never ran the vxl-3s/3500 on 3S as it would overheat on 2S pretty easily in the stampede. Th castle did ok on 2S, but I wasn't sure how it would handle 3S when temps outside got up there. And when I snapped the shaft off the 3800kv... I figured I'd try the max10 sct/3200kv instead replacing the motor. I suppose I could have just gotten the 3200kv motor and saw how that did.

I have it geared where I want it. It's a pain to control now when it gets up to speed. The stampede is taller than the granite and having the big 7200mah 3S pack in there which is high in the chassis doesn't help matters much.

Fair enough. I am just trying to be clear that the issue I am having is with it running in an Arrma 1/10th truck with higher gearing than stock. I'm sure it is perfectly fine for what your doing with it. I wouldn't be concerned and I'm really not sure why you are. If it were having issue running your gearing you would know it, lol. It seems fine based on what you've posted. So anyone here running a Stampede and they are looking for an ESC, I have two Max10 SCT's for sale. Barely used!

Fair enough. I am just trying to be clear that the issue I am having is with it running in an Arrma 1/10th truck with higher gearing than stock. I'm sure it is perfectly fine for what your doing with it. I wouldn't be concerned and I'm really not sure why you are. If it were having issue running your gearing you would know it, lol. It seems fine based on what you've posted. So anyone here running a Stampede and they are looking for an ESC, I have two Max10 SCT's for sale. Barely used!
I was only concerned that it was going to start happening as I cycled it. So it was something I was "looking forward" to experience. Then like you, have to spend more $ on something to replace it, even though in my mind, it should have been an upgrade over what I had already.

I'd buy one of yours to have on hand, or to replace the vxl-3s in my eJato if it's not up to the task... but I have 1 brand new castle sct sv3 that I never used and the one I took out of my stampede... lol! Still, tempted to take you up on your offer, because programming the HW is less hassle than the castle while the traxxas one can't even be programmed really. Figure out what you want for one of them and I may take you up on it anyway just for that reason. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back