Hobbywing Max10 SCT Issues (Video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idk man I still think something is wrong.

Well I just replied to their last email and sent a link to the video. I'll see what they have to say. My granite is down so I have no problems sending in the ESC for them to look at.

Here are the things that have me scratching my head:

1. When first installed it barely cogged. It was definitely acceptable.
2. I purchased TWO of these combos a week apart and the same thing has happened to bothofthem. What are the odds of that??

This leads me to believe that 1) maybe I saw what I wanted to see when I first installed them and 2) this combo just can't handle the gearing.

Look - I don't need to run an 18t pinion. It runs ok with the 15t. I was just expecting it to be lightyear's better than the BLX 100 and it really isn't. It has more programming options, a motor temp sensor and I would think it won't just die like one of my BLX100's did. Now is that worth the $140 I paid for the combo? Probably not and I am a little disappointed.
Nah man, can’t be like that. You’re accepting the defeat! It’s broken. You gotta get it replaced.

I have to say it again... I love your accent! Makes me chuckle, but not in a bad way. Kind of like when I hear "mina-sotan's" talk. Just makes me happy for some reason. lol!

Anyway, with that spot where you stop it with your foot, I tried that with mine in the grass and it just spins the front tires (center diff). I literally have to step on the truck to hold all 4 tires hard against the ground to get it to stall anything like yours is doing. Then as soon as I take my foot off and return the throttle to neutral and give it gas again, it takes off fine.

I'll keep an eye and ear out for it and try that stop/stall thing periodically to see if it seems to get worse or different.

Sorry to hear your having such a crappy time. Like you, I would be disappointed as well after spending $140 on the thing. Another $40 and you could have bought your own random 3660 4 pole motor and went with a MM2.

I have other ESC's I can put in it. I'm not buying another one, lol. I can swap the mamba x in my Senton 3s for the Max10. I run the Senton on stock gearing anyway. I also have a BLX 185 system I could use.

I think he means that the esc is more esc than the truck will ever need.

I think he means that the esc is more esc than the truck will ever need.

Oh. Well, I know that lol. The BLX185 system powered overweight Kraton with no real issues. I didn't realize he was stating the obvious.

In any event I took the Mamba X and the BLX 100 motor out of my Senton and put it in the BRCC. I left the 20t pinion on the motor. Let's see how badly it cogs.

I'm looking for it to behave like the blx185 in the 1/8 scale trucks and those don't do that.
I think the blx185 doesn't do that because the motor on the 6s is much lower Kv. If you mount a 185 ESC on that BRCC, does it behave differently?

I don't know, this kind of cogging is what i expect from high Kv motors.. but i don't have much experience so i don't know..

I think the blx185 doesn't do that because the motor on the 6s is much lower Kv. If you mount a 185 ESC on that BRCC, does it behave differently?

I don't know, this kind of cogging is what i expect from high Kv motors.. but i don't have much experience so i don't know..
Hmm you might be on to something. :unsure:

While I edit the video of the Mamba X running the BLX100 motor with a 20t pinion, here is the latest response from Hobbywing:

Hello Sir,

It's pretty tricky to say if something is "normal" or not based on anything detailed or otherwise. Overall, could be gearing topics, could be simple connection issues, could be a number of small issues that make the system cog a bit more. Sensorless systems in general won't do real well from stand still under load. Higher gearing adds to the load, and can increase the cogging. We appreciate and understand the want for higher gearing, and the suspicion that is something is wrong. Looks like you system is putting a lot of load on the packs and trigging some cogging and perhaps some overload to the point of turning the lipo mode on.

Connections will do this. Putting faster systems in, with more pinion, puts "tons" of load on the battery pack, and can trick the ESC into thinking the lipo is dead momentarily. Depending on "how hard" it' gets driving, or how often it's cogging out, could amplify the issue when "other stuff" works fine.

RTR items are not as aggressive when it comes to "giving what the driver asks", so running some high power setups in place of the RTR electronics can yield "new problems" that folks never assume were there before. The issues were present, just not noticed, or triggered by the RTR setup.

It's hard to ever 'know for sure'. We've seen folks rigs be way over setup for the size of the motor, the driving style, and the basic gearing.

Based on the problem getting "worse" over time, could be connector related, or could be "damage" to something in the electronics. If this was our own vehicle in testing, we would be replacing the Battery Connector on the ESC, as well as trying a "Fresh" battery pack, or at least putting "new plugs" on our own battery packs. Cannot tell you how often new plugs fix problems like this.

Faster motors and taller gearing, is not really an ideal setup, and will generally cause loads on the system and battery pack that will make strange things start to happen. May work okay for a few runs, then act up because of the loads wearing on the plugs, or the battery pack, or even the ESC itself.
HOBBYWING
Innovation Powered by Passion

Here is the video of the Mamba X,BLX 100 and 20t pinion. I am going to run the Max10 SCT with the BLX 100 and a 20t now so it is an apples to apples comparison.

Doesn't really compare to your experience with the max10 sct. The MX in that thing is just angry!

Wait until you see the video of the Max10 SCT on the 20t. It sounds like the motor is going to grind apart. It's ugly.

So far, the only odd thing I found with my max10 sct/3200kv combo was that the motor end cap screws by the wires were loose. I found that out after running it. Then when I replaced the chassis, I noticed it, took them all the way out, took the cap off, cleaned everything, the used some locktite when I put them back in.

Your only using the esc, right? Not a HW motor? Curious if you tried it with a HW motor. Not that it would/should matter, just curious.

So far, the only odd thing I found with my max10 sct/3200kv combo was that the motor end cap screws by the wires were loose. I found that out after running it. Then when I replaced the chassis, I noticed it, took them all the way out, took the cap off, cleaned everything, the used some locktite when I put them back in.

Your only using the esc, right? Not a HW motor? Curious if you tried it with a HW motor. Not that it would/should matter, just curious.
I bought the combo so yes. I was using the Hobbywing 3660 3200Kv motor which is the same size and Kv as the BLX 100 motor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back