Infraction Hobbywing Max10sct with 4000kv 3660

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigP

Reaction score
Hi,

i have installed Max10sct in my Infraction 3s BLX.
Everything is fine, but ESC Temps are high, more as with stock esc, even after installing Rocket Fan in the ESC. (stock gearing)

Could a 4000kv Hobbywing 3660 Motor help?
THey sell these combo, so it should work?

Or just go with a Max8 ESC?

A Max10 SCT is not designed for a 1/8 scale vehicle: you may be pushing it a bit more than it was designed for, thus the higher temps. If you continue to use your Max10 SCT you might have to adjust your gearing to get the ESC temps down. A Max8 would be a better choice.

What are the temps? Take a look at the manual it will give you the operating temperature range. If needed buy a temp gun.

As others have said, we need to know the exact temps to help. If you don’t have a heat gun, it’s time to buy one.

Hobbywing ESC temp cutoff options are 221 or 257 degrees.

I’d set your cutoff to 221 and not worry about it. Your ESC will shut off if there’s a problem.

Last edited:
As others have said, we need to know the exact temps to help. If you don’t have a heat gun, it’s time to buy one.

Hobbywing ESC temp cutoff options are 221 or 257 degrees.

I’d set your cutoff to 221 and not worry about it. Your ESC will shut off if there’s a problem.
Dang thats terrible advice.. why you would recommend someone to run an esc up to 221° and "not worry about it" just baffles me!! Please if anything do not do this!! ❌ 👎 ⛔ 🚯 🔥 ❌

Dang thats terrible advice.. why you would recommend someone to run an esc up to 221° and "not worry about it" just baffles me!! Please if anything do not do this!! ❌ 👎 ⛔ 🚯 🔥 ❌
I'm not encouraging him to run an ESC up to 221, but I do see your point. I just don't see it happening unless he is geared to the moon - that's a 4S ESC designed for off-road 1/10 trucks that often weigh more than his infraction.

I also believe Hobbywing's lowest temp cutoff setting would be less than 221 degrees if it couldn't handle it. Maybe that is naïve of me though.

I'm not encouraging him to run an ESC up to 221, but I do see your point. I just don't see it happening unless he is geared to the moon - that's a 4S ESC designed for off-road 1/10 trucks that often weigh more than his infraction.

I also believe Hobbywing's lowest temp cutoff setting would be less than 221 degrees if it couldn't handle it. Maybe that is naïve of me though.
Well I would agree except for one thing, he's using a 4000kv motor so he is drawing a significant amount of current over a smaller kv motor!?
Prolly better suited in a light drag setup!? Idk I'm just winging it!! 🤣
Slipper too tight, bearings all good.. could be numerous things causing it.. I see they do have it as a combo.. idk

Edit: disregard everything I have said.. thought this was a 1/7.. burnt light bulbs over here!!

Last edited:
Gearing is stock, Bearing/Pinion everything is ok.
I used it stock, and then upgraded to Max10SCT. Nothing else changed, beside a faster servo.
The ESC gets hot and the Battery-Wires too, when it was warm outside.
ESC cut off after a few minutes, lowest temp for cut-off of course. I measured 75° Celcius on the hottest spots in the middle on the side of the esc.
It gets cold fast, doesn't need much time to cool down.

-So it gets hot quick, and get cold quick - as if there is not much substance/mass.
-a quicker fan didnt solve the problem, it still a bit worse then it was with the stock esc with stock fan.
-motor temps arent a issue, the esc temp is the limitation (batterys get hot too in the summer, and the battery wires)

I will try the 4000kv Hobbywing Motor - it should be efficent and it has extra wire for motor-temp-controll.

If this does not work, then the next step will be Max8 (discontinued) or Max8 G2 ESC.
But its more weight, more money, need more space in the car, is a bit of overkill for 36xx Motor with 3s (maybe 4s...), and needs a solder job cause it has 2 battery-plugs.

The stock firma 100a esc is a max10 sct limited to 3s. So I don't understand why you would have higher Temps when it's basically the same esc. The stock motor is a 3660 3900kv, 100kv won't make a difference

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back