Hobbywing Max5 Combo Telemetry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couch_Bro

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve looked all over the Internet but just wanted to post here as a last resort.

Is there anyway to get real time telemetry data off of the hobbywing EZrun Max5 ESC? I’m looking for ESC temperature, motor temperature, battery voltage. The 56113 motor does have a temperature port on it but from everything I’ve read, that’s just a cruel trick because it’s not supported by anything.
I’m going to be upgrading my radio so if there’s a way to do it, I want to make sure I purchase the right transmitter/receiver.

I might be wrong, but to my knowledge the Max5 has no telemetry of any kind.
You are correct. I had emailed hobbywing and just got their response. Copied and pasted it below in case anyone else is curious about this.

This really is a great performing motor and ESC but the lack of real time or even recorded telemetry would have been a dealbreaker for me if I had looked into it before buying them. Not to mention, the programming capabilities of the ESC are very limited too.

I’ve broken the fan on the ESC two or three times already and the thermal protection does not seem to be working because it hasn’t shut down yet. I guess I’ll just have to live with knowing that I’ll end up frying it sooner or later.

Thank you for contacting HOBBYWING North America Customer Care.

With the Max Line at the moment there is no live data or any sort of telemetry data available. The XeRun Series has live data via the OTA Programmer, and the HOBBYWING Link V2 App.

Please feel free to reply with any questions.

You are correct. I had emailed hobbywing and just got their response. Copied and pasted it below in case anyone else is curious about this.

This really is a great performing motor and ESC but the lack of real time or even recorded telemetry would have been a dealbreaker for me if I had looked into it before buying them. Not to mention, the programming capabilities of the ESC are very limited too.

I’ve broken the fan on the ESC two or three times already and the thermal protection does not seem to be working because it hasn’t shut down yet. I guess I’ll just have to live with knowing that I’ll end up frying it sooner or later.
Not necessarily. It could just be that the ESC hasn't hit thermal limit yet. I'm just speculating obviously, but it would be strange if it just stopped working for no reason. Just saying.

Not necessarily. It could just be that the ESC hasn't hit thermal limit yet. I'm just speculating obviously, but it would be strange if it just stopped working for no reason. Just saying.
Hopefully you are correct. I have the thermal protection set at its lowest level (not sure what temp that is off the top of my head but there is high and low). I had driven it very hard on a hot day with a pebble jammed in the fan and it did not shut down.

I didn’t have a temperature gun with me but it was sizzling hot. Even the rubber insulation at the base of the bullet plugs started to release and sag. It actually caused the wires to heat up and the motor was also too hot to touch even though both cooling fans were running.

I think the low thermal setting is around 180 so you may be right that it didn’t reach that. I have no reference for what 180° feels like but I just assumed that it was well past that
Edit: the low setting for the thermal protection is actually 221°F so it’s definitely possible that it had not gotten that hot. I had no idea it could run that hot without causing damage.

Last edited:
Hopefully you are correct. I have the thermal protection set at its lowest level (not sure what temp that is off the top of my head but there is high and low). I had driven it very hard on a hot day with a pebble jammed in the fan and it did not shut down.

I didn’t have a temperature gun with me but it was sizzling hot. Even the rubber insulation at the base of the bullet plugs started to release and sag. It actually caused the wires to heat up and the motor was also too hot to touch even though both cooling fans were running.

I think the low thermal setting is around 180 so you may be right that it didn’t reach that. I have no reference for what 180° feels like but I just assumed that it was well past that

Edit: the low setting for the thermal protection is actually 221°F so it’s definitely possible that it had not gotten that hot. I had no idea it could run that hot without causing damage.
Holy hell. 221°F is blisteringly hot.

Replacing the stock fan with an aluminium (Rocket) fan sure helps. Another option is to clip the edges of the stock fan blades a little bit.
I actually did finally break down and replace the HW one with that exact fan and have not broken it yet but I also haven’t been to the BMX park where I do most of my damage. I also replaced both fans on my motor heat sink with rocket fans too. They seem to be good quality and the blades are short so there’s not much leverage on them in an impact.

I wasn’t able to find an aftermarket fan in 45 mm which is what the max5 takes but I was able to find a 3-D printed shroud that will fit a 40 mm fan. The rocket fan seems to move just as much air due to the higher RPMs so this may be a good solution if it doesn’t break.

Before replacing the shroud and fan, I had tried a couple of tricks I’ve seen online to create a bumper on the top of the fan and a screw through the shroud to keep it from contacting it but I never tried trimming the blades. It’s just a poop design if you ask me. Just needs slightly more space above the fan or a better designed fan. Thanks for the reply.
I actually did finally break down and replace the HW one with that exact fan and have not broken it yet but I also haven’t been to the BMX park where I do most of my damage. I also replaced both fans on my motor heat sink with rocket fans too. They seem to be good quality and the blades are short so there’s not much leverage on them in an impact.

I wasn’t able to find an aftermarket fan in 45 mm which is what the max5 takes but I was able to find a 3-D printed shroud that will fit a 40 mm fan. The rocket fan seems to move just as much air due to the higher RPMs so this may be a good solution if it doesn’t break.

Before replacing the shroud and fan, I had tried a couple of tricks I’ve seen online to create a bumper on the top of the fan and a screw through the shroud to keep it from contacting it but I never tried trimming the blades. It’s just a poop design if you ask me. Just needs slightly more space above the fan or a better designed fan. Thanks for the reply.
I meant sh*t design. Apparently that can’t be said on this forum

Replacing the stock fan with an aluminium (Rocket) fan sure helps. Another option is to clip the edges of the stock fan blades a little bit.
WFO makes the shroud…their build quality wasn’t great but it got the job done and fit pretty well.

DE1DFDE4-C8AA-479C-9C1A-D59EF9ACD0F5.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back