Hobbywing MAX8, does it need the cap pack (4x4 3S Chassis ; TP4030)?

Soldering cappack to the MAX8?

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
Hi guys.

So, I decided to up the Power in my BRCC 4x4 3S (Well, the mix that the car is at the moment...it is running on Typhon Arms and SCT tires; and yes, that is a E-Revo body on there).

IMG-20200315-WA0019.jpg

This thing is getting a TP Power TP4030 Motor (40 x 63mm Motor ; 3267kv) and a Hobbywing Max8 ESC. It will run a 26 tooth pinion (if it won't run too hot), will only be run on 3S Lipos and, as I know myself, on the highest punch setting.

IMG_20200406_014747_592.jpg

So here is the question, would you solder the included cappack to the esc, or is it just dead weight as the car is pretty light, the motor is not the biggest can ever and it will only be run on 3S? Looking forward to hearing your guys opinions.

20200406_163055.jpg

I would say it's probably not needed but having the cap pack on it won't hurt anything if you do install it, the weight of the cap pack is not a lot and won't make or break you.

Most speed runners will use a cap pack for regulating the voltage in the ESC pulling/pushing HIGH amp draws! If you plan to use as a basher save your time!!

Well, the plan is to use the car as a basher on light offroad surfaces & tarmac.
I won't gear it up much more (I mean, with SCT tires the stock pinion size is 20. I'm moving up to 26 now, and the maximum size I could move up to is 27 with another motor mount, which probably isn't worth it so I won't bother because of 1 tooth. The only thing I might change in the future is the tires, it might get 1:8 scale Buggy tires, thats it).

Well, the plan is to use the car as a basher on light offroad surfaces & tarmac.
I won't gear it up much more (I mean, with SCT tires the stock pinion size is 20. I'm moving up to 26 now, and the maximum size I could move up to is 27 with another motor mount, which probably isn't worth it so I won't bother because of 1 tooth. The only thing I might change in the future is the tires, it might get 1:8 scale Buggy tires, thats it).
You may want to pick up a Temp Gun. That type of gearing sounds like it will be running very hot, very quickly!

@adidas303
Really? I honestly wasn't expecting that, but I will see, I may gear it down.
I just thought, as the standart pinion with the 36x60mm 3200kv Arrma Motor is 20, the TP Power 40x63mm 3267kv Motor with a WTF-fan shouldn't have a problem with a 26 tooth pinion, as it hopefully is a more potent motor. Am I expecting too much here?

You just want to keep in mind the more you go to a 1:1 ratio with the gearing, the more load on the ESC and Motor. May not seem like much but you may be surprised. You can also use the hand test. Upon setting up the new gearing, run the rig for about 5 mins straight, bring it in and hold your hand on the motor, if you can hold it there for longer then 5 secs you're still pretty good. Just take note how hot it feels and how hot it could potentially get in the next 5 mins and so forth! ?

@adidas303
Thank you, planned to do that. Of course, it the gearing is to steep I will gear it down (I mean I bash those things hard, I managed to overheat the XMAXX 8S of my buddy in 5 minutes with my driving style...), I just wanted to post the maximum strain the ESC might have to handle.
I honestly first wanted to try the car with the 20 tooth pinion, but it broke while I was demounting it, so I thought might as well just get a 26 tooth when getting a new pinion :D
Also, I think my Lipos shouldn't have a problem delivering the needed power (I drive mostly Arrowmax 6200mah 55C Lipos [3S; Hardcase]).

@adidas303
Thank you, planned to do that. Of course, it the gearing is to steep I will gear it down (I mean I bash those things hard, I managed to overheat the XMAXX 8S of my buddy in 5 minutes with my driving style...), I just wanted to post the maximum strain the ESC might have to handle.
I honestly first wanted to try the car with the 20 tooth pinion, but it broke while I was demounting it, so I thought might as well just get a 26 tooth when getting a new pinion :D
Also, I think my Lipos shouldn't have a problem delivering the needed power (I drive mostly Arrowmax 6200mah 55C Lipos [3S; Hardcase]).
Very welcome!! (y) ?

Well, I decided to go without the Cappack.
If someone is interested, this is how everything looks mounted up:

IMG-20200410-WA0007.jpg

A friendly company next door milled me a holder for the HW MAX8 out of 7075 Aluminium (more pictures down below...I actually might do a build thread about that):

IMG-20200410-WA0015.jpg

@adidas303
Looks like I might go back to a 20 tooth pinion again...the Motor got pretty hot while testing...
I might move up a few tooth later (but I would need the HR Motor Mount). But maybe the change to buggy tires somewhen down the line will be enough gearing difference.
Oh, also, don't get Castle Creation Pinions...I got it f'n new, this is how it looked after 1/4 of the Lipo...

IMG-20200410-WA0006.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20200410-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20200410-WA0013.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG-20200410-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20200410-WA0005.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-20200410-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20200410-WA0014.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG-20200410-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20200410-WA0016.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG-20200410-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20200410-WA0017.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG-20200410-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20200410-WA0018.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 64
Well, I decided to go without the Cappack.
If someone is interested, this is how everything looks mounted up:

View attachment 74086

A friendly company next door milled me a holder for the HW MAX8 out of 7075 Aluminium (more pictures down below...I actually might do a build thread about that):

View attachment 74087

@adidas303
Looks like I might go back to a 20 tooth pinion again...the Motor got pretty hot while testing...
I might move up a few tooth later (but I would need the HR Motor Mount). But maybe the change to buggy tires somewhen down the line will be enough gearing difference.
Oh, also, don't get Castle Creation Pinions...I got it f'n new, this is how it looked after 1/4 of the Lipo...

View attachment 74088
That mount is super sweet!! :love: You might be able to let that guy know if he wants to make a couple dollers, there would RC enthusiasts that would buy those for there HW ESC's!! (y)?

Cap Packs are really more for regulating the voltage with in the ESC. HW ESC's aren't really in a need for them though it will never hurt! Castle Creation ESC's are more known for needing cap packs. Not so much the brand new out, MMX8S, but the older ones usually require them.

Pinion gears your best resource is probably going to be Tekno pinion gears, very good quality and strong. SagaCustoms is another great pinion source though they are going to be more expensive. Definitely keep checking those temps until you find a good medium for yourself, good enough speed and stays cool enough for a battery pack. Always let the rig cool down for about 5 mins between packs!

(Looks like the driver side rear shock shaft is bent!) That rig is coming along, looking great!! Keep up the great modding on it! ?:woot:

@jondilly1974

Thanks You! :D The 3D Modeling of the part was actually done by me, the company manufactured it (They are nice guys. Just saw me test driving my Stampede, we talked a bit, and told me they could try to make 1 or 2 parts for me :D ).

That said, they actually aren't completely satisfied with how the part looks ("We couldn't sell that") because one of the sides has some bigger dents. That happened because the part could vibrate inside the milling machine, so if they would need to redo that part they would make it of an even better quality. :D

@adidas303

Thanks a lot. :)

I can talk with them, but the problem is price and demand. Also probably shipping, as this is a German Company.
I asked them about the (theoretical) price, and they told me that if they would sell about 500 pieces, these mounts would still be probably about 35€ per piece. I mean, it still is milled 7075 aluminium, and although the company is small, it still is a German Engineering & Prototyping company, so they aren't exactly cheap.
But that said, if there is enough demand I could talk with them to get a more precise price estimate. Or, if you can name me a company that is interested in the design, I can send them the 3D data (for a small share :p ).

I will look into these brands for a pinion. I just searched for a fitting one, Robinson Racing was out of stock, so I got the Castle. I honestly wouldn't have done that if I would have known that it is an aluminium pinion... . And yes, I will definitely look at those temps.

Thanks man, I will keep on modding, I might even do a build thread some time down the line when I have the time.
And yes, the shaft is bent. I even have the replacement here, I just didn't find the time to put it on and wanted to test the car on the new electrics. It bent the last time I sent it maybe 4+ meters high (13+ feet) and f'd up the landing. ?

Hi guys.

So, I decided to up the Power in my BRCC 4x4 3S (Well, the mix that the car is at the moment...it is running on Typhon Arms and SCT tires; and yes, that is a E-Revo body on there).

View attachment 73435

This thing is getting a TP Power TP4030 Motor (40 x 63mm Motor ; 3267kv) and a Hobbywing Max8 ESC. It will run a 26 tooth pinion (if it won't run too hot), will only be run on 3S Lipos and, as I know myself, on the highest punch setting.

View attachment 73436

So here is the question, would you solder the included cappack to the esc, or is it just dead weight as the car is pretty light, the motor is not the biggest can ever and it will only be run on 3S? Looking forward to hearing your guys opinions.

View attachment 73438
Was wondering how the max8-tp4030 setup has ran ??do u like it,good setup??

Was wondering how the max8-tp4030 setup has ran ??do u like it,good setup??
Yeah, it is still running, and I love it!

I'm currently running the car with a 21 tooth pinion on Louise ST Mcross tires.
It moves on 3S! On gravel, The Accleration & Top Speed were comparable to my Kraton V4 with a 13t pinion on 6S. It wheelies from the start, and it can wheelie up to middle speeds (with the ST Mcross tires, I pulled Wheelies on Gravel at 40+ km/h).
But it gets pretty hot in the summer, although it haven't overheated it yet (I have a 40mm fan + fan shroud on the motor). Also, it eats through batteries (a 6000mah 3S pack is gone in 10 minutes or less).

I also did a few speedruns on Proline 2.8 Prime tires (which are MT tires, I normaly drive this thing on ST tires) and it reached 109,84 km/h (~ 68,25 mp/h). But I wouldnt recommend running this gearing on MT tires, then it will probably overheat while bashing.

If you plan on running the motor setup on ST or SC tires & using 3S, the motor is great for that (Definitely don't get a higher kv than 3267! The 2750kv might also work, but then you need to run the 25 tooth pinion for the same results as I have with the 21, so no options to keep gearing up).
If you plan on running MT or 1/8 Buggy tires & using 3S, then going with a little lower kv might be a good idea.
If you plan on running 4S, you need to get a lower kv (I asked Hobbywing, the MAX8 is only 4S rated up to 3000kv).
But if you plan on running 4S or MT tires, a Hobbywing 4068 2600kv might also do the trick,

I got tp4030-2070kv for senton 6s.ran it once with 16/46 an it got warm behind 8BL150.was gonna try behind max8 next.i thought it would run cooler.ill try it again when it warms up..motor is rated for 29 volts.thought it would be awesome like my tp4050

Screenshot_20210127-180431_Chrome.jpg

I got tp4030-2070kv for senton 6s.ran it once with 16/46 an it got warm behind 8BL150.was gonna try behind max8 next.i thought it would run cooler.ill try it again when it warms up

I got tp4030-2070kv for senton 6s.ran it once with 16/46 an it got warm behind 8BL150.was gonna try behind max8 next.i thought it would run cooler.ill try it again when it warms up..motor is rated for 29 volts.thought it would be awesome like my tp4050
Well, that is hard to judge. Mine has a lot higher kv, but I only run it on 3S. Sorry, I can't tell you if the MAX8 will be up to the task here.
Another question, which TP4050 do you have? In which car do you run it in, and with which ESC?

tp4050-2100kv an ivehadit in mojave,,an now in notorious.its a beast.137 degrees is hot as iv gotten it on 8s with max6.
Not impressed with 4030.4050 is very impressive
Gonna get 4050-2310kv or 4060-1700kv next.

Back