Hobbywing Max8 G2 fan undersized?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSR85

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
This ESC came out of my buddy’s car, but I’ve been running on on my K6EXB with no issue so far, and love the control the sensored setup gives.

Since it was on the way back to hobbywing, I took a moment to check out this new frameless fan they are using on the MAX8 G2. It would appear that the fan is equivalent to a 30x30mm standard fan, but 16,000 RPM @ 6v. A 30x30 fan even bolts to the top of the heat sink when you take the cage off. So I’ve been using protek 35x35mm high speed fans on all my firma 150s, so it seems odd that this things fan is smaller but for a 160A. I wonder if I should throw a high speed 30x30 on top of my Max8 G2 and ditch the frameless, or find an adapter to a bigger fan.

208B7C86-D87E-4F83-BBD3-66D41CDF22F2.jpeg

7EBD87A1-0F66-4949-AC9F-3B0F491CCB78.jpeg

84BECF8A-9B63-45D8-8420-C6961E369CC5.jpeg

This ESC came out of my buddy’s car, but I’ve been running on on my K6EXB with no issue so far, and love the control the sensored setup gives.

Since it was on the way back to hobbywing, I took a moment to check out this new frameless fan they are using on the MAX8 G2. It would appear that the fan is equivalent to a 30x30mm standard fan, but 16,000 RPM @ 6v. A 30x30 fan even bolts to the top of the heat sink when you take the cage off. So I’ve been using protek 35x35mm high speed fans on all my firma 150s, so it seems odd that this things fan is smaller but for a 160A. I wonder if I should throw a high speed 30x30 on top of my Max8 G2 and ditch the frameless, or find an adapter to a bigger fan.

View attachment 260702
View attachment 260703
View attachment 260705

Test and see. If you have a temp gun, you can gauge how well it works.

I like to size up, but I already know living in the south with the summer heat stock fans will not due...but I cannot say that for everyone on how they bash and where they live.

What’s not clear is that it BBQ’d it’s self in use, and why it’s going back to HW. I can’t speak to the ultimate usage as this ESC was not mine, but it was a cool day around 60-65F when it let go.
F7A3A9C8-F429-4640-8CF3-62FAB8D4C32C.jpeg

This is more about the fan on it, and I’m not convinced that the frameless fan is better… it’s certainly harder to find another frameless fan at a higher speed from my googling.

It seems like the reports coming back on the new Max8 G2 are troublesome. Too many reports of serious glitches and/or fires.

I don't understand the point of the new fan that is only supposed to kick on once the esc gets hotter. The idea is to save energy from the battery, but I've not noticed any real difference in run times whether I am running a fan or not. Seems like an unnecessary "feature" to me, but maybe others have noticed changes in run time.

What I am not sure of is how the fan works now. Does the fan cut itself on/off based on temps? Or is the esc giving the on/off signal to the plug? If its the latter, a new fan would still only come on once temps are rising. I do think going with a larger and stronger fan is almost a given on most rigs for summertime so I would expect a lot of people will want the 35x35 size for better cooling.

I have the new Max10 G2, hoping it doesn't share the same issues.

Last edited:
It seems like the reports coming back on the new Max8 G2 are troublesome.

I'd be interested to know if these people are running 6S. I picked one up recently that I'm going to be exploding using on 4S 🙏

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back