Hobbywing Max8 G2 fire and warranty replacement reported in Amazon review...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
https://www.amazon.com/HOBBYWING-Ezrun-MAX8-Combo-4278SD

If I understand the reviewer correctly, they were told by Hobbywing that using a battery without a high c rating can cause a fire?
it does require you to use higher c rating batteries to operate, if you don’t upgrade to these batteries unfortunately you will have issues, over heat stop working or worse like my first one catch fire! They did replace it under warranty but did note to me to change my batteries.

Last edited:
Just makes me want to steer clear of the new G2 Max8 until more feedback comes in. Sounds like the reviewer had a fire, Hobbywing blamed it on battery C rating being too low and gave them a warranty replacement, but I am scratching my head wondering if I've missed something along the way. Can a low C rating cause an esc fire? I don't understand how that is possible and if it is, there should be a big warning on the box.

I've seen the recommended minimum before but have never seen a warning that it could cause a fire if the C rating is too low. Considering C ratings usually test to be far lower than battery labels state, seems like a recipe for disaster.

Saw someone mention the new G2 Max8 catching fire elsewhere already, I get the feeling Hobbywing knows there is an issue and just blamed it on the battery rather than admitting they have a problem.

It wasn't the one review, there was another mention on this board this week, I'm trying to find it.

I know they catch on fire, but the Max8 is new and there is very little feedback so far, but fires mentioned twice. HW claims it will run 25% cooler which is why I'm thinking of grabbing one instead of a Max6 to save some weight. Being on fire is not 25% cooler though. :ROFLMAO: Probably safer to just get the Max6. Might be no big deal, just wondering if anyone else had run across mentions of issues with it.

Seems the Max8 G2 has had it's share of problems. Justin Perrin RC (YT) had one go up in smoke mysteriously, then in the comments of that vid a few reporting failures as well..
I imagine HW will get it sorted..too bad the G1 is discontinued. I would be more confident with that..
I would expect the batteries to suffer the consequence if they're not suitable for the application more so than the esc? Too low a c rating causes the batteries to overheat for sure. Guess it's possible the esc suffers too.
My understanding is that it's the motor load that dictates what a system needs to deliver to "keep up"..

Last edited:
It wasn't the one review, there was another mention on this board this week, I'm trying to find it.

I know they catch on fire, but the Max8 is new and there is very little feedback so far, but fires mentioned twice. HW claims it will run 25% cooler which is why I'm thinking of grabbing one instead of a Max6 to save some weight. Being on fire is not 25% cooler though. :ROFLMAO: Probably safer to just get the Max6. Might be no big deal, just wondering if anyone else had run across mentions of issues with it.
Which motor and car will you be running?
too bad the G1 is discontinued
You can go to JRC and ask to be notified when a Torox 185 ESC is back in stock. It’s a Max8 in different clothes.

Which motor and car will you be running?

You can go to JRC and ask to be notified when a Torox 185 ESC is back in stock. It’s a Max8 in different clothes.
Oh yeah! I have 2 TC 6s systems from JRC already😁
They're pretty powerful. I also have an Xerun 150 I bought over 10 years ago that's pretty stout too..sensored even, although I've never run a sensored setup with it.

I think I'd stick with a max6 myself, at least until there's improved real world feedback on the G2's..
If 6V BEC is acceptable the Quicrun 150 is about $100. Hobbywing direct has black Friday specials too..

lol I had that torox on notify and it took so long for jrc to get one in stock I forgot I even had a notification for it. Literally months before that notification went off :eek:

I've not had any real problems yet with my max 8 g2. As of right now I'd buy it again.

There is only 1 review on Amain.com for the G2, its a 1 star review because it caught on fire. I don't doubt there are plenty of units going out that work ok, but there is already enough mentions of fire with it that I'd just as soon stick to the fire risk of the stock Spektrum esc for a few months until heat becomes in when summer starts.

There is only 1 review on Amain.com for the G2, its a 1 star review because it caught on fire. I don't doubt there are plenty of units going out that work ok, but there is already enough mentions of fire with it that I'd just as soon stick to the fire risk of the stock Spektrum esc for a few months until heat becomes in when summer starts.
I think if we all thought like you maybe castle would figure out why the xlx2 likes to go up in flames. :ROFLMAO:

https://www.amazon.com/HOBBYWING-Ezrun-MAX8-Combo-4278SD

If I understand the reviewer correctly, they were told by Hobbywing that using a battery without a high c rating can cause a fire?
There is no negative review on Amazon, unless it was removed.
C-rating has as much to do with it as your tire pressure, i.e. nothing.

Firma have burned up, oh wait those are Hobbywing as well. Nothing new, unfortunately.
The main contributor to catastrophic failure are manufacturing defects, unless there is an underlying design flaw.

It wasn't given a negative review, it was the one titled "Awesome" and rated 5 stars. Sounds like Hobbywing told them it was the fault of their battery and replaced it under warranty. That is the part that made me suspicious, lol. My experience is Hobbywing doesn't just give you a warranty replacement easily, especially if they think the reason for the failure was the users fault.

I know its just an Amazon review, but Amain has only 1 review that is 1 star and said it caught on fire. That along with fire issues mentioned by @KnowAir on the Jason Perrin RC video and in the comments makes me hesitate with a relatively new product. Probably 90%+ are fine with no issues. I think other than catching on fire all the reviews/reports about it have been positive.

I bought a Max8 G2 combo recently and it didn't catch on fire but it acted strange from the start. Getting the run around from their warranty support. Got the 3 options from them which are clearly designed to screw people over. After experiencing the so-called warranty on a brand new combo I'm inclined to say avoid the Max8 G2 but also to avoid Hobbywing altogether.

I bought a Max8 G2 combo recently and it didn't catch on fire but it acted strange from the start. Getting the run around from their warranty support. Got the 3 options from them which are clearly designed to screw people over. After experiencing the so-called warranty on a brand new combo I'm inclined to say avoid the Max8 G2 but also to avoid Hobbywing altogether.
What was it doing? out of curiosity

What was it doing? out of curiosity
After powering on, it runs with throttle limited to a crawl for a period of time. Initially it was probably less than 10 seconds but it's worse now, closer to a minute of that. Unplugging the sensor cable makes that problem go away. Even when it allows normal throttle, it has a strange lag to throttle inputs that is inconsistent (not sure if running sensorless solves that as I haven't tested it enough that way). They say it's a problem with a PCB in the ESC but I'm not sure I even want to send it in, as I'd bet money they declare it to be my fault.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back