Outcast Hobbywing Max8 SCT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waspmoose

Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop Rc Addiction
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Outcast 4s
After a long warranty battle with Hobby wing, they finally sent me a new esc to replace my Max10SCT. Instead of sending out the right one they upgraded me! I know have a brand new Max8SCT. SO now I need to either get a new engine or I was thinking about throwing this in my Outcast 4s with that motor, would that be a good idea? Or should I buy a new motor as well? What are you guys running?

After a long warranty battle with Hobby wing, they finally sent me a new esc to replace my Max10SCT. Instead of sending out the right one they upgraded me! I know have a brand new Max8SCT. SO now I need to either get a new engine or I was thinking about throwing this in my Outcast 4s with that motor, would that be a good idea? Or should I buy a new motor as well? What are you guys running?
What was wrong with your Max10 SCT?

I was having issues with it shutting off randomly like in the middle of a jump. I would have to restart it and it would work normal for a little bit then do it again. Then about a month ago it wouldn’t let me program it through the card or a computer. Then it just stopped responding completely and wouldn’t turn on at all.

I realize I read mostly the negative issues and concerns here but after so many now it's seems troubling. I'm absolutely afraid to buy HW when I upgrade and I don't want to fight with a manufacturer or play the games that I see so many of you guys dealing with.
If Castle is more dependable but costs more, I think I'll have to go with them.

I realize I read mostly the negative issues and concerns here but after so many now it's seems troubling. I'm absolutely afraid to buy HW when I upgrade and I don't want to fight with a manufacturer or play the games that I see so many of you guys dealing with.
If Castle is more dependable but costs more, I think I'll have to go with them.
yea it was a pain, cost me 28 bucks too and endless emails and questions they bounced me around from department to department too, they tried telling me it was user error

yea it was a pain, cost me 28 bucks too and endless emails and questions they bounced me around from department to department too, they tried telling me it was user error

That sounds about right. Their warranty policy is to try and get you to buy a replacement for half price. And they pretty will tell you that whatever the issue is is your fault.

Had issues with customer service at HW USA as well. Needed a fan and cover for my esc but they could only provide the fan and couldn't find the cover or part number for it.... Said the cover might take a month to get. So I waited and never heard back. So used a YR fan and made a mount myself...

Yeah, I'm definitely turned off by HW. Does anyone have this ESC? What motors are you guys running?

If the stock motor is fine in your 4s Kraton, just run it with the max8. Make sure to get some adapters because the max8 uses real 6.5mm 8th scale connectors. The motor you have uses 4mm bullets.

And as for the castle comparison for those wondering, I know I always speak highly of them like they owe me something, but really the main reason I originally got with their company is the warrenty. Hobbywing makes great stuff but if something goes wrong it’s a lot harder for it to get sorted out. If you live in the United States, castle’s warrenty the best thing ever. Let me find my mamba monster 1....
image.jpg

(Didn’t think of it but having a hammer next to an esc with a bent board and a separated case might raise questions ??)

after a short call with their team, despite being 9 years old and completely destroyed, castle’s tier 2 warrenty still applies... I send it in with an rma and a payment of $87, brand new mamba monster 2 shows up at my door. And no I didn’t have a receipt LOL. (They are having supply issues due to a panic of shortage of materials though). Don’t believe me, here it is: http://home.castlecreations.com/warranty-and-service

(Here’s their tier 2 warrenty:
Non-warranty Claims (Tier Two)
Repairs outside the warranty period or repairs that are necessary due to misuse, abuse, neglect, or incorrect wiring will be repaired at the current flat rate repair fee. Don't throw away your old speed control - all Castle Creations products have a core value!

Translation: even if you are the sole reason the esc breaks, it’s still a flat rate of as follows:
$87 for a mamba monster 1/2 replacement
$105 for a mamba monster x
And $78 for a Sidewinder 8th

All of their motors, esc’s, and becs are covered under this. I just forget the prices because I don’t use their motors nowdays.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back