Typhon Hobbywing motor + ESC for Typhon TLR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hampus

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi!

So I just got my first Typhon TLR roller and I'm looking for advice on motor and ESC.

Where I live (in Sweden) it's fairly easy to get a hold of Hobbywing products. So that's what I'm looking at.

Any tips on the best motor and esc combo? I will drive this car sometimes at the track (not compete), and sometimes just bashing. I'm thinking my main and initial set up will be 4s, but maybe I'll want to go 6s further down the road.

I really like the thought of the ESC XR8 Plus, but I'm worried about it not being waterproof. Should I be concerned? Or is there a way to waterproof it :)

Anyways, would really appreciate your thoughts.

Many thanks!

PS. If there absolutely is another better kombo from another brand then sure let me know. Maybe I can order it and just ship it.

The Hobbywing XR8 is solid. Anything can be waterproofed, with enough effort, but... :)

I like the Castle ESC's. Their Mamba line is sensored and Waterproof. But - if you want waterproof, you need to unplug the sensor wire, as the plug is not waterproof. If you are at the track and want the extra smooth running, plug it back in. I have several MMX, MX, and a Copperhead. If you only plan on running 4s, the MX/ 1512 1800kv combo would be good (It is the combo I would want for a TLRT) it is more of a track comb vs bashing, though. Note the Mamba X can run 6s, but 6s on the big-ish 1512 motor will be too much - the MX is a small, light ESC. (My MX gets run on 3s with a 3660 motor). The MMX is a bigger boy, and is sold in a combo with the bigger 1515 2200kv motor, and can run that motor on 6s when needed.

My Typhon is an older one, my ESC is a MMX and the motor is a 4269 (size similar to the 1512) 2350kv. The short stack motors make plenty of power for the buggy, even on 4s, and on 6s this combo has pushed my Typhon over 90mph.

The Hobbywing XR8 is solid. Anything can be waterproofed, with enough effort, but... :)

I like the Castle ESC's. Their Mamba line is sensored and Waterproof. But - if you want waterproof, you need to unplug the sensor wire, as the plug is not waterproof. If you are at the track and want the extra smooth running, plug it back in. I have several MMX, MX, and a Copperhead. If you only plan on running 4s, the MX/ 1512 1800kv combo would be good (It is the combo I would want for a TLRT) it is more of a track comb vs bashing, though. Note the Mamba X can run 6s, but 6s on the big-ish 1512 motor will be too much - the MX is a small, light ESC. (My MX gets run on 3s with a 3660 motor). The MMX is a bigger boy, and is sold in a combo with the bigger 1515 2200kv motor, and can run that motor on 6s when needed.

My Typhon is an older one, my ESC is a MMX and the motor is a 4269 (size similar to the 1512) 2350kv. The short stack motors make plenty of power for the buggy, even on 4s, and on 6s this combo has pushed my Typhon over 90mph.
Thanks for info. So is that true for the xr8 too. That it’s only the sensor cable not being waterproof?
I used a HobbyWing combo in my TLR Typhon build. It’s posted in the Build Logs here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/my-tlr-tuned-typhon-build.44332/
Thank you 🙏🏻. Will definitely check it out.

Thanks for info. So is that true for the xr8 too. That it’s only the sensor cable not being waterproof?

Thank you 🙏🏻. Will definitely check it out.
No, the HW ESC is not listed as having any waterproofing, as where the Castle does market the Mamba line as "Waterproof" with a few asterisks. :)

I vote for the Xr8 plus esc just in case you want to go 6s, with the 4274sd g3 2250kv motor. Awesome set up for 4s/6s but you need to buy a programmer for it too. Defiantly get the OTA programmer so you can do everything from your phone. I have this in my Tekno Et48 2.0 and my TLR 8ight Elite and they are rocket ships on 6s.

^^^ That's what I have going in my TLRT. XR8+ 2250kv G3 motor. Have 3 of these combos already in other rigs.
But I will be running 4s and setup as a track rig. Sensored always the best way to go if your wallet permits. Need the programmer. For any real ESC, no matter the brand , it's a must have accessory. Or you are not getting the full benefit and ease of adjustments.
Sensored ESC's are usually used at the Track. Not for bashers.
Sensored or not, no ESC is WP no matter what they say.
And it's Never a problem for me, because I don't get my gear wet. And don't plan on it.

Thanks for all the input. I really like the xr8 plus and think it’s a great option. But I wonder if I get my money worth knowing I won’t be spending a whole lot of time on a track. And when I do it will be more for fun. So what do you think of the max8 esc kombo. Forgot the actual kv of the motor. It was around 2200kv (or 2250). It’s a lot cheaper but still handles both 4s and 6s.

That’s a fine combo - I think some YouTube folks have installed that combo into their TLRT. The Max8 does have a cap pack that they recommend soldering in when running 6s along with a heavy car or fast speeds. Make sure you’re comfortable installing it or have someone that can do it for you.

That’s a fine combo - I think some YouTube folks have installed that combo into their TLRT. The Max8 does have a cap pack that they recommend soldering in when running 6s along with a heavy car or fast speeds. Make sure you’re comfortable installing it or have someone that can do it for you.
Yes I’ve also wondered about the cap pack. I think I’ll be fine without it though. Not really building a speed car with high amp loads. I’m hoping I’ll be fine 🙂. Would be nice not having to solder.

Thanks for all the input. I really like the xr8 plus and think it’s a great option. But I wonder if I get my money worth knowing I won’t be spending a whole lot of time on a track. And when I do it will be more for fun. So what do you think of the max8 esc kombo. Forgot the actual kv of the motor. It was around 2200kv (or 2250). It’s a lot cheaper but still handles both 4s and 6s.
I use my Tekno and TLR for bashing, very rarely I go to track, they are perfect on 4s with that combo but lobsters….that isn’t a special word that means something else it literally means lobster like the ones you eat, what I ment to say is monsters, smh on 6s. I think the xr8 plus is great for bashing and track, but the xr8 pro sensor less is strictly track imo, the max8 is also a great option, I use the max8 with a 4274sd g3 in my Tekno mt410. Awesome set up, the motor has a manual plate in the back to adjust the timing of u wanted to. I really like that motor you can run it sensored or non-sensored

Last edited:
I’m curious what you guys think of the

Castle Creations Mamba Monster X ESC Combo 1515-2200KV Sensor​

Does it stack up with the XR8 Plus? It’s waterproof and sensored. A little bit more expensive. But not by much. So Max8 is the obvious choice if you’re on a budget. As of now XR8 Plus is the preferred choice even if you’re just bashing. Or is the Castle creations combo a better route? 🙂

I’m curious what you guys think of the

Castle Creations Mamba Monster X ESC Combo 1515-2200KV Sensor​

Does it stack up with the XR8 Plus? It’s waterproof and sensored. A little bit more expensive. But not by much. So Max8 is the obvious choice if you’re on a budget. As of now XR8 Plus is the preferred choice even if you’re just bashing. Or is the Castle creations combo a better route? 🙂

It's definitely another option worth looking at. I don't find the startup as smooth as the Hobbywing and the "whine" of the Castle ESCs is a little annoying but it is a solid combination. Read all of Castle's precautions about water - they claim "waterproof" but if you read between the lines, they really don't want you getting it too wet. I would treat it the same as other brands - an occasional splash is OK but you're in for a bunch of PM with any more exposure. But just my two cents - I avoid water when I can - others can chime in with their experiences of running wet.

It's definitely another option worth looking at. I don't find the startup as smooth as the Hobbywing and the "whine" of the Castle ESCs is a little annoying but it is a solid combination. Read all of Castle's precautions about water - they claim "waterproof" but if you read between the lines, they really don't want you getting it too wet. I would treat it the same as other brands - an occasional splash is OK but you're in for a bunch of PM with any more exposure. But just my two cents - I avoid water when I can - others can chime in with their experiences of running wet.
Thanks. Scratch that :) Hobbywing sounds better.

Thanks. Scratch that :) Hobbywing sounds better.

It's a good system. Personally I like Hobbywing better but there are many, many Castle fans as well. Don't dismiss it based on the opinion of one person but do your own research to see what works best for you.

I like the Castle ESC's, and have 2 of the MMX. Yes, the whine at low speeds is interesting / different. Above about 5mph it sounds like most other ESC's.

So far, I only have run them un-sensored, and they have been much smoother than any other un-sensored ESC I have used.

As for the waterproof-ness, I do try to keep them dry, but my RC has tumbled into a ditch a few times, and I have gotten caught in a few rain showers, and sometimes I don't see that puddle hidden in the grass... Etc.... When I do get wet, I worry more about my bearings and RX over my Castle ESC. I have had a few other ESC's die from water exposure, but none of my Castles have had issues with water.

I don't have the 1515 2200kv motor, but I hear that in a MT truggy (like a Kraton) they tend to run a bit hot, but are very powerful. In the lighter Typhon, you may not have heat issues.

I like the Castle ESC's, and have 2 of the MMX. Yes, the whine at low speeds is interesting / different. Above about 5mph it sounds like most other ESC's.

So far, I only have run them un-sensored, and they have been much smoother than any other un-sensored ESC I have used.

As for the waterproof-ness, I do try to keep them dry, but my RC has tumbled into a ditch a few times, and I have gotten caught in a few rain showers, and sometimes I don't see that puddle hidden in the grass... Etc.... When I do get wet, I worry more about my bearings and RX over my Castle ESC. I have had a few other ESC's die from water exposure, but none of my Castles have had issues with water.

I don't have the 1515 2200kv motor, but I hear that in a MT truggy (like a Kraton) they tend to run a bit hot, but are very powerful. In the lighter Typhon, you may not have heat issues.
Thanks. It’s a hard decision. I wonder about what it’s like driving with a sensored motor vs not? If that is a major difference maybe it’s worth waiting for. Not to worried about the waterproof thing anymore.

I hope i wont just confuse you more, but did you consider the Hobbywing XR8 Pro?

Its a completely new generation than the "plus" (or the sct), the settings and features are different. and while it's only 4s, the Turbo feature is insane, you can add 50% of speed just by adding Turbo timing, which wont add that much heat as it only adds timing when you're at full throttle, all the other RPM range you can be without extra timing, which keeps the temps down.

I really like it, it's extreamly smooth even without the sensor wire, but you need the sensor to use the Turbo feature.

It's also much lighter when you use it with a 4068 motor, which i recommend for the Typhon.

I hope i wont just confuse you more, but did you consider the Hobbywing XR8 Pro?

Its a completely new generation than the "plus" (or the sct), the settings and features are different. and while it's only 4s, the Turbo feature is insane, you can add 50% of speed just by adding Turbo timing, which wont add that much heat as it only adds timing when you're at full throttle, all the other RPM range you can be without extra timing, which keeps the temps down.

I really like it, it's extreamly smooth even without the sensor wire, but you need the sensor to use the Turbo feature.

It's also much lighter when you use it with a 4068 motor, which i recommend for the Typhon.
Yes I must admit I'm a bit confused :) So isn't the xr8 plus more targeted for racing? Will it perform equally as good when bashing? I do however want to use 6s at times. Are you saying that because I get the turbo it's comparable with using a 6s set up?
Anyone with experience of both xr8 plus and xr8 pro? Which do you prefer? :)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back