Infraction HOBBYWING OR CASTLE?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jluther@becoinc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Talion
What I’m wondering is if I were to replace a HW MAX6 1650kv 4985 with a MMX8s 1717 1650kv would I see more power and less heat? Never ran castle electronics.
Anyone ran both? Thanks

What I’m wondering is if I were to replace a HW MAX6 1650kv 4985 with a MMX8s 1717 1650kv would I see more power and less heat? Never ran castle electronics.
Anyone ran both? Thanks
My opinion would be yes. Under the same conditions with the same gearing setup, I believe you’d have more power/ less heat from the castle.

The hobbywing stuff is just way more user friendly. (Also my opinion) <— silly I have to put that there but some people like to jump all over you when you say your “opinion” lol. 🤷🏻‍♂️

this is my experience. I like both, but I think I’d stick to hobbywing products in the future just for ease of use and ease of tuning.

Hobbywing puts a hard limit on how much power their ESCs will handle to make them more user friendly, less hassle. The mmx8s will definitely allow for much MUCH greater power output.
What 👆 he said

For streetbashing i wouldnt switch, for speed running (110+mph) you have to switch...

Ok thanks guys y’all definitely gave me the info I was looking for. What I really want is to be able to run 80-90 and bash around without running hot. Not run 80-90 all the time just leave it geared so it will. Am I looking for the impossible? Thanks again!

If you get the castle esc you don't have to run that over priced motor. It guess its better with the sensor cable and all but if youre just bashing around the cheap rocket or hobbystar motors are just fine.

I say Hobbywing for bashing, Castle for speed. Simple!

If you get the castle esc you don't have to run that over priced motor. It guess its better with the sensor cable and all but if youre just bashing around the cheap rocket or hobbystar motors are just fine.
Do you think the hobbywing 4985 1650kv would survive 8s and the MMX8s. I’d love to be able to just buy the esc. That 1717 does cost a lot

Do you think the hobbywing 4985 1650kv would survive 8s and the MMX8s. I’d love to be able to just buy the esc. That 1717 does cost a lot
I think @Mr.Duke runs his on 8s but with the max6. It will get hot, but from but there’s no lack of heat with the 1717 either. I don’t use data logging so am not sure if all the features would work with a non castle motor.
I really like the MMX8s, and it’s been very good. The only things I do not like is the fan, (change it to one of those aluminum ones) on/off switch, wire length they give you and having to program it with the b-link because I’m an Apple computer guy.

I don't believe you can run 80-90 mph for too long without significant heat on any setup.

If you have no desires to go beyond 100mph regularly then Id stick with the HW setup. There are plenty of people who post about heat issues with the mmx8s / 1717

I don't believe you can run 80-90 mph for too long without significant heat on any setup.

If you have no desires to go beyond 100mph regularly then Id stick with the HW setup. There are plenty of people who post about heat issues with the mmx8s / 1717
I’m thinking your best chance for bashing at 80-90mph would be an XLX2 2028 combo.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back