Hobbywing or Castle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowanjr420

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. BigRock 4x4
So I have owned the hobbywing max6 for my kraton 6s it was amazing well now I'm trying to decide what motor combo to get the max5 800kv, wait for the max4HV 560kv, or the castle mamba x2 800kv. I was going to buy the ztw combo but after further investigation i see they like to catch fire so not for me for sure

I have seen 0 Hobbywing esc's catch fire and so far have seen 3 or 4 XLX2's catch fire. The trucks with XLX2's are faster but they are a little more temperamental. Max 4 is going to take quite a bit of work to fit in a 1/5 scale arrma chassis.

So I have owned the hobbywing max6 for my kraton 6s it was amazing well now I'm trying to decide what motor combo to get the max5 800kv, wait for the max4HV 560kv, or the castle mamba x2 800kv. I was going to buy the ztw combo but after further investigation i see they like to catch fire so not for me for sure
Bashtilbroken answer I like. Many options on both sides but if bashing HW is good and ESC menu is almost exact to the Spektrum so no new learning curve.

Unless you care for adjustments on the fly which is another 50+ for the B link I’d prolly go with the max5 just for bashing. I don’t own hw products just castle but I feel the money saved n just for bashing I’d go hw

I too am looking to add another ESC / motor combo to my Kraton 8s EXB. Currently running a Spektrum 160/1100kv combo, which will be moved to my Fireteam. In addition to being cheaper by about $110, the HW does not seem to generate nearly as many posts/threads of problems. Although the HW customer service seems to be crap. Since I am a basher and not a speedrunner, think i'm leaning towards the Max5/1100kv or 800kv pairing. Those TowerH coupons on Castle products do help to bring their prices in line though.

Had 2 more xlx2's catch fire yesterday at our meetup. One had been running for less than a minute and went up in smoke.
Do you know what motors? and or gearing? this is really interesting and spooky lol.

I know one was a xlx2 1100kv in an outcast with 32/39 gearing. This wasn’t a new setup and he had been running for maybe a minute before it went up. He drove it from his truck over to the ramp area and before he could even jump it went up. Okay he other one I don’t know.

I'm a full blown basher the bigger the air the better haha. I'm thinking about buying a cnc machine making my own parts since I love to break the heck out my cars. If I do that I would probably extend the chassis 4 inches and wait for the max4 HV and 560kv combo and just make the holes where I would need them to mount. Still debating on that one though the wife hates my hobbies they get expensive and then i get bright ideas like the cnc machine lmao

They haven't failed me yet :) (even with the taboo action of running in the rain)

20220516_141831.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back