Hobbywing programming card from hell...Help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sissupr

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
So I’m trying to use a program card to update my settings on my Hobbywing XERUN SCT 140. I bought a Hobbywing card, not a knockoff and I still can’t get the card to read anything but 3 red/orange dashes. I’m thinking of upgrading my Kraton 4S, since I absolutely love this setup in my Slash 4x4, but damn... why won’t it program the esc!!!

I followed the directions to utilize the fan port on the Hobbywing esc, that didn’t work... I tried the receiver channel 2... that didn’t work. I tried using both top connections on the card, that didn’t work. I tried another receiver from another car, that didn’t work. I checked to make sure I had the white signal line in the right spot every single time.

The car runs and act like it should. Just no reverse. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the esc in general. Checked all the pins as well and connectors.

The only reason I bought the card was because I accidentally reset the esc to default settings which has ‘no reverse’. My 9y old son uses this car, so reverse is what’s he’s used to.

Lastly, I did search on google and YouTube... no ones says how they fixed the red dashes... I included a pic. It’s not mine, but similar issue.

53C3907C-7C44-42BF-9278-89030BF806D9.jpeg

Side note, does this card work to program a HW Max6 esc as well?

Attachments

• 08754EC6-375F-4AA1-BF21-8A6AE9EADEDD.jpeg
    08754EC6-375F-4AA1-BF21-8A6AE9EADEDD.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Yea. Maybe I should try the LCD version... I did notice this as well on Amazon about the programming card.

Hopefully HW gets back to me ?‍♂️

8AE4012F-818F-476A-91B2-1E615F7E16E3.png

not sure what version XeRUN XR8 SCT I have. I’ll have to check the box or the esc. I did send Hobbywing US support the same question. I’m hoping they get back, but not holding my breath.

Last edited:
The newer/higher end HW ESC's use the LCD card, the older and cheaper line use the LED ones. I believe all of the Xeruns use the LCD, so that's probably it. You can also try hitting a button on the LED card when you get the dashes, I think on my Kraton 4S I have to hit the right most button to get to the settings after it turns on.

Great. Guess I’ll just hold onto the programming card for the stock BLX 120 in my Kraton 4S. I ordered the LCD for my XeRun and should be here today - gotta love Amazon ??

Are you connecting the programming card for the BLX thru the fan port on the ESC or thru the receiver channel 2?

Last edited:
Great. Guess I’ll just hold onto the programming card for the stock BLX 120 in my Kraton 4S. I ordered the LCD for my XeRun and should be here today - gotta love Amazon ??

Are you connecting the programming card for the BLX thru the fan port on the ESC or thru the receiver channel 2?

Fan port. This was on a BLX100, but same thing:

Awesome, works as it should!
8C0F9E2A-039B-4FA1-AB7F-942E5452F6E4.jpeg

Edit:
I just received the LCD programmer and that’s what it was! My XeRun is able to be programmed! 9y is happy, and I’m so relieved ? ...

Last edited:
I picked up a Dynamite LED Program Card DYNS3005 last year sometime and it works for all my Arrma BLX ESC's and even works on my recently purchased Max5 ESC to program them all via the Fan port. I only ask cause the Program Card I picked up is also LED that didn't seem to work for the OP. Is it cause mine is a Dynamite brand that it works more universally? Or cause though both ESC's are Hobbywings, one being Max5 the other XERUN require different types of a Program Card?

I picked up a Dynamite LED Program Card DYNS3005 last year sometime and it works for all my Arrma BLX ESC's and even works on my recently purchased Max5 ESC to program them all via the Fan port. I only ask cause the Program Card I picked up is also LED that didn't seem to work for the OP. Is it cause mine is a Dynamite brand that it works more universally? Or cause though both ESC's are Hobbywings, one being Max5 the other XERUN require different types of a Program Card?

That's an excellent question, and one that seems to apply to a lot of the R/C electronics these days.

Considering there's only a couple of companies that make the main integrated circuit controller, and the makers of said chips are more than happy to provide guidance in their use, it seems logical to see "3rd Party Support" for an ESC that uses one of these chips. I don't know if the custom firmware that each ESC makers uses does any checking to see if an "Approved Device" is attempting to communicate with it, so once you understand how to talk to the controller, you should be able to access whatever settings are available and modify them from the default.

Just a SWAG, but a lot of commercial equipment is the same way.

Oh ok! I mean if it works, it works right! Thanks man.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back