HobbyWing rejects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt Spektrum uses Hobbywing rejects, but the firmware might be "dumbed down" on the Spektrum ESCs. Hobbywing has a history of "dumbing down" the firmware on their RTR ESCs. I found that out the hard way last year when I tried programming an RTR ESC, and it didn't have the same options as the same ESCs sold in a box. It's all about a price point.

Not so sure. Probably few places that make this stuff. They are made to the vendor spec's. Saying they are all the same is like saying all tires made in the same factory are the same. They are made to spec's for the buyer. One test would be simple inspection of motor rotor and bearings. Hobbywinng seem to have very good rubber shield bearings. Most others have metal shield bearings of lower quality. Go dig around on AliExpress and look at all the different motors and esc's offered. It is not easy to be sure one has quality except by brand names and history the users have with a product name. Ordered a couple of cheap motors off AliExpress to test with. They indeed are not up to Hobbywing standards. Will do for testing. Rotor looks good, bearings are cheap metal shield bearings. Difference in end plates with number of mounting holes available. Use to be videos showing hand wrapping of the motor stator. Now they seems to be machine wound. Another difference noted is Hobbywing rotor has spacers and a wave washer. No wave washer on the cheap motors. If I want a motor to last and work hard will spend to get a Hobbywing motor. Only weakness is Hobbywing's lack of waterproof esc. That has very recently changed with good waterproof esc from Hobbywing now. One can purchase cheap Hobbywing motors but will not get any warranty with them except those purchase from Hobbywing.

Sandblaster, I wouldn't call all metal-shielded bearings "cheap". Metal shielded bearings are often used in areas where high temps would damage rubber, and motors are a good example. Hobbywing might use high-temp rubber or silicone, but they might be the exception rather than the rule.

I rarely see replacement rubber-sealed motor bearings for sale, even from higher-quality bearing sellers like Eddy's, Jim's, Boca Bearings, or Avid Racing. I personally prefer metal motor bearing shields due to the high temps that motors can generate.

If you measure the motor bearing then search, one can find that size is very popular and used in lot of things. One is skate board wheel bearings. They are not expensive at all. The bearing failures have seen on YouTube seem to always be the metal shield with the talking head saying they are going to replace with the better rubber sealed bearings. On that, right or wrong, is what I am referring to. The metal shield does not keep out moisture or really fine dirt. The rubber sealed have an actual seal to keep out water and dirt. Makes sense to run a bearing on a motor that is running in fine dirt and wetness a lot and would make the rubber sealed the much better, longer lasting bearing for our motors. This for motors with the .5mm shafts.

Sandblaster, I wouldn't call all metal-shielded bearings "cheap". Metal shielded bearings are often used in areas where high temps would damage rubber, and motors are a good example. Hobbywing might use high-temp rubber or silicone, but they might be the exception rather than the rule.

I rarely see replacement rubber-sealed motor bearings for sale, even from higher-quality bearing sellers like Eddy's, Jim's, Boca Bearings, or Avid Racing. I personally prefer metal motor bearing shields due to the high temps that motors can generate.
Bocas hybrid ceramic motor bearings have a low friction rubber seal as does some of TRBRC's hybrid ceramic bearings.

Bocas hybrid ceramic motor bearings have a low friction rubber seal as does some of TRBRC's hybrid ceramic bearings.
I was looking mostly at steel bearings, and I didn't see the hybrid ceramic bearings you mentioned. I do have TBRC hybrid ceramic wheel bearings on my Corally Radix6, my Corally Muraco, and my Arrma Kraton 6s, but I don't use ceramics anywhere else.

I was looking mostly at steel bearings, and I didn't see the hybrid ceramic bearings you mentioned. I do have TBRC hybrid ceramic wheel bearings on my Corally Radix6, my Corally Muraco, and my Arrma Kraton 6s, but I don't use ceramics anywhere else.
As far as I know they are the only ones that do but it's just the hybrid ceramic motor bearings that come that way. The TRBRC ones some have metal shields on both sides and some have a seal on one side and a shield on the other.

You should try the ceramics in the motor not sure if they last longer but the motor does seem to run a bit cooler. I think @SrC runs nothing but Bocas in his motors.

Hehe, I would really doubt a company as large as Horizon is buying HW rejects.. Probably just have a huge contract with them to supply their electrics as well as have Horizon handle warranty issues.

Redcat has been using them for years.

HW is a major RC OE supplier for many rebrands. Probably the largest in the world.
You can ask HW to Produce an ESC to your own specs and price point. Say for a RTR Brand, that needs a low price point for their product. And HW will make thousands for you at a negotiated price . All to your Spec's, packaging, and pricepoint. It's up to the Brand to support it. Hence it is Spektrum/HH's responsibility to support it. An ESC component that they did not Mfr. to begin with. So support is slim to none. And HH will just replace it under warranty at best. And HW branded Retail ESC's do fail much less by comparison, IMHO. You just can't compare a HW Max6 to a Spektrum Firma 160. These are in different leagues.
Just because HW is the OE, doesn't mean it is an inherent flaw of HW. HW cutting corners because the Brand wants a cheap ESC for their RTR's is not HW 's fault.

HW is a major RC OE supplier for many rebrands. Probably the largest in the world.
You can ask HW to Produce an ESC to your own specs and price point. Say for a RTR Brand, that needs a low price point for their product. And HW will make thousands for you at a negotiated price . All to your Spec's, packaging, and pricepoint. It's up to the Brand to support it. Hence it is Spektrum/HH's responsibility to support it. An ESC component that they did not Mfr. to begin with. So support is slim to none. And HH will just replace it under warranty at best. And HW branded Retail ESC's do fail much less by comparison, IMHO. You just can't compare a HW Max6 to a Spektrum Firma 160. These are in different leagues.
Just because HW is the OE, doesn't mean it is an inherent flaw of HW. HW cutting corners because the Brand wants a cheap ESC for their RTR's is not HW 's fault.
There are a lot of the Hobbywing OEM escs that are almost the same as the retail versions, like the Max10 SCT 120a for example the RTR versions just have a different switch and no temp port the Hexfly escs have a different switch, no temp port and a red case instead of black.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back