Kraton Hobbywing Vs Castle Vs TP Power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl5590

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just can't decide what would be the best upgrade for my Kraton...

I'm currently running a Hobbywing Max 6 on 6s, with a Rocket 4092 1650kv motor. To be honest it's actually a great setup, the motor was cheap as chips but I can get around 60mph on road, and 45mph on grass... No heat issues whatsoever.

However

I'm always on the quest for more speed, and would love to get 60mph on short grass. I just can't decide between any of these 3 motors. Which one would you pick?

#1: Hobbywing 4985 1650kv

#2: Castle 1717 1650kv

#3: TP Power 4070 2080kv (CM version is too expensive)

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
I would guess the ESC is more of a limiting factor than the motor. I would try an MMX8S with the motor you already have. If that still isn’t enough, then the 1717 would be my choice.

I would guess the ESC is more of a limiting factor than the motor. I would try an MMX8S with the motor you already have. If that still isn’t enough, then the 1717 would be my choice.

Thanks for the reply, I'd rather stick with my current esc as I don't think it's pulling huge amps yet, it's never limited me as far as I can tell. Also the MMX8s is too expensive for me unless I can get a good price for my Max 6

I run a Max6/4092 1730kv with a 20t and it hauls ass. Maybe you should try a 24t and see how that goes. My calculator claims 80 mph top speed. While that might be completely accurate I would think you would be at least at 60 I'm short grass.

I have a TP-4070 with the X8S on one kraton that flies on 6s 15t 50t. I have a 1717 with the x8s on other kraton 20t 50t. I will be testing it out tomorrow with 2 140c 4s lipos. My GPS is expected to be delivered tomorrow. The TP definitely kills the 1717 on 6s.

I have a TP-4070 with the X8S on one kraton that flies on 6s 15t 50t. I have a 1717 with the x8s on other kraton 20t 50t. I will be testing it out tomorrow with 2 140c 4s lipos. My GPS is expected to be delivered tomorrow. The TP definitely kills the 1717 on 6s.

Do you have the CM version?

What winding do you have on the TP? The 1717 is 1650kv.

If running 6s mainly and 4s very rarely, the TP motor outperforms 1717? Why? I'm new to the hobby and looking to upgrade.

If running 6s mainly and 4s very rarely, the TP motor outperforms 1717? Why? I'm new to the hobby and looking to upgrade.
Probably because his TP have a higher KV and will run hotter over time.

I just did a speed run attempt with my KEXB 1717 MMX8S 21T/50T on 6S and hit 60mph at nearly 3/4 throttle. Tires ballooned to an unsafe point and I couldn't get all the way on throttle. Some SRC tires could get me to 70+ I'm sure.

I just did a speed run attempt with my KEXB 1717 MMX8S 21T/50T on 6S and hit 60mph at nearly 3/4 throttle. Tires ballooned to an unsafe point and I couldn't get all the way on throttle. Some SRC tires could get me to 70+ I'm sure.
Vids or it didn’t happen!
??????

Edit:
Just checked your channel, should’ve look there first... ?

Last edited:
If looking for the ultimate power to weight to amps to heat running motor I went from the Hobbywing 1650kv to the tp 4260cm. All I can say is my truck on 6S is.....well violent ? to say the least. Running a 20t 8mm SAGA pinion on the 50t stock spur is a nice sweet spot.?

I had the 4070cm for over a week, it was too long, too heavy, and too amp hungry for my Max6. Not a great bashing motor IMO ?, but a fantastic speed run motor. Now I could have gotten any motor (got it a week before the new CC 1650kv was announced), and I'm happy with tp motors. I also got the 8mm even though it made my Kraton incompatible with 95% of my nice Mod1 pinion line up, the 8mm seems to run truer if that makes sense. Glad you went with tp, my next possible electronics purchase will be a MMX8S. It really does kill in that "I want more than 150a, waterproof, shockproof, 8S esc that can fit in the stock tray" market.

BTW anybody who is running a MMX8S, what is the maximum amount of amps you've seen it pull in the data logs? Probably not breaking 300+ like an XLX, but if it can put out more than 200a consistently ala Max5, call me sold, sold, sold! ??

If looking for the ultimate power to weight to amps to heat running motor I went from the Hobbywing 1650kv to the tp 4260cm. All I can say is my truck on 6S is.....well violent ? to say the least. Running a 20t 8mm SAGA pinion on the 50t stock spur is a nice sweet spot.?

I had the 4070cm for over a week, it was too long, too heavy, and too amp hungry for my Max6. Not a great bashing motor IMO ?, but a fantastic speed run motor. Now I could have gotten any motor (got it a week before the new CC 1650kv was announced), and I'm happy with tp motors. I also got the 8mm even though it made my Kraton incompatible with 95% of my nice Mod1 pinion line up, the 8mm seems to run truer if that makes sense. Glad you went with tp, my next possible electronics purchase will be a MMX8S. It really does kill in that "I want more than 150a, waterproof, shockproof, 8S esc that can fit in the stock tray" market.

BTW anybody who is running a MMX8S, what is the maximum amount of amps you've seen it pull in the data logs? Probably not breaking 300+ like an XLX, but if it can put out more than 200a consistently ala Max5, call me sold, sold, sold! ??
I’ve pulled 350+ on an 8S 137mph pass. I’m sure others have hit higher.

Ah cool, maybe since I got the non-CM version, it'll be more comparible to your 4060CM

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back