Hobbywing warning!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3d-rc.myshopify.com

Eat,sleep and breath Arrma
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Notorious
  7. Senton 6s
  8. Senton 3s
First off let me start by explaining.
I recently purchased the max 6 combo with the 4985 motor. If anyone following me would see I kept having temp issues even though it was a new motor in 30° weather in less the 10 min I would have to let her cool down. Recently she started to get loud and thought it was my spur wearing out as that is what it sounds like now... after replacing the whole center diff and mount it was still making noise. I removed the motor to inspect it. I spun it by hand and checked end play. All felt great. I powered it up and sure enough sounds terrible and was vibrating terribly. I too it apart to inspect everything and see the bearings that are "Japanese" are actually made in Taiwan. Upon further investigation I find not only did hobby sell a lie. The bearings they use are only rated to 20,000 rpm way to low. I contacted them and a nice honest guy called me back on this... hobbywing has been sourcing the manufacturing of their components outside of their facilities and in his exact words were sorry as much as we would like to we can't be there to over see the whole assembly process.....wtf!!!! So you mean to tell me these "genuine Hobbywing" products are no different the the knock offs??? So I asked ok send me some replacement bearings under warranty that are the correct type for the application.. nope bearings are not covered... so I catch them up on a lie, I let him know they are using cheap skateboard bearings not even rated for the rpm these run. And he still can't make it right to save face at this point???? So needless to say they lost a customer today solely on their actions to not rectify the situation. You all have been warned.
If anyone has this motor check your internals. I ordered these to replace them
https://www.bocabearings.com/products/smr626c-2os-7-nb2-18200

Idk about motor bearings thats why i fear them already destroyed two motors. My hobbyshops told me ceramic bearings are not good for motors he said steel speed bearings is what i need and he had hobbywing bearing and they look the same as the stock bearings:/ i have sealed steel bearings but idk if i should use them in the motor

The style I linked are hybrid. Only thing ceramic are the balls. Everything else is stainless steel. Zero resistance silicone front and rear seals. Is about a 1/3 or more better in thrust load,temps shock load,rpm and doesn't rust. It's also a maintenance free bearing.. boca makes some of the best bearings but they are not cheap.

The style I linked are hybrid. Only thing ceramic are the balls. Everything else is stainless steel. Zero resistance silicone front and rear seals. Is about a 1/3 or more better in thrust load,temps shock load,rpm and doesn't rust. It's also a maintenance free bearing.. boca makes some of the best bearings but they are not cheap.
Mine are rly well sealed the outisde rusted last time i took it out in snow decided to remove all the oil with alchool and used my own bearing oil if the bearings explodes im going to be fking triggered i still need to remplace the end cap bearings because i don't really trust the chap sealed bearings i have

The outside is steel the balls are ceramic
Also depends on the ceramic being used. They offer 3 different types each has their own job. Ceramic speed bearings are not what you want. The industrial machine ones are. They take huge loads,extreme temps and design to run in very dirty or wet situations

No I wouldn't either not at the rpm we turn. Check out boca. For the rest of your rig Jim's has a great selection of hybrid kits

Mine is a acer bearing from ebay i had one in the pass but it seized the crown gear has splited. But i think it was because of me being stupid and lubing the thing with silicone oil.
No I wouldn't either not at the rpm we turn. Check out boca. For the rest of your rig Jim's has a great selection of hybrid kits
?
image.jpg

Acer racing*
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x13x4mm-C...eramic-Bearing-695-Ball-Bearing-/261368740802

Dang that sucks. Anything abec 5 or above is a decent quality. I just wanted overkill with my motor so I can relax a little about it. Plus it will keep it a bit cooler as it is rated to have 15% less rolling resistance.

Radial is the style of bearing. The kind we use in these rigs... the abec rating system goes from 1,3,5,7,9.
1. Cheap toys kinda thing
3.general use bikes, skate boards,turn tables
5. Upgrade 3 pretty much
7. High grade extreme
9. Strictly extreme rpm dental tools,medical tools
Generally as the number goes up the tighter the tolerances and better materials are used.. each step up is a huge difference. Most serious racers use abec 7
As far as shipping it shouldn't cost that much as it doesn't weight anything. I'm sure Canada has something there equivalent to boca. You know the bearing size you need?
Mine is a acer bearing from ebay i had one in the pass but it seized the crown gear has splited. But i think it was because of me being stupid and lubing the thing with silicone oil.

?
View attachment 60241
Acer racing*
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x13x4mm-C...eramic-Bearing-695-Ball-Bearing-/261368740802
Is that a ceramic shielded bearing?

Last edited:
I've been running my stock blx 2050kv motor for over a year in my outcast... decided to replace the bearings with TRB RC hybrid ceramics from amazon... not nearly as costly as boca, probably not as good, but so far they seem fine.

Sucks to hear about the HW motor though. I just put a max6 in both my ERBEv2 and outcast, both with the BLX2050kv motor as it seems to work fine for me in my outcast, so that's what I replaced the 2200kv traxxas/castle motor I had in my ERBEv2 that I pulled from my v1. It howls a lot less than the 2200kv did... but that could be in part to the fact I've never replaced the bearings in the trx/castle motor in the 3+ years I've been running it. lol!

I've been running my stock blx 2050kv motor for over a year in my outcast... decided to replace the bearings with TRB RC hybrid ceramics from amazon... not nearly as costly as boca, probably not as good, but so far they seem fine.

Sucks to hear about the HW motor though. I just put a max6 in both my ERBEv2 and outcast, both with the BLX2050kv motor as it seems to work fine for me in my outcast, so that's what I replaced the 2200kv traxxas/castle motor I had in my ERBEv2 that I pulled from my v1. It howls a lot less than the 2200kv did... but that could be in part to the fact I've never replaced the bearings in the trx/castle motor in the 3+ years I've been running it. lol!
3 years lmao I start to worry after a couple months lmao.... the ones I picked up are $20 each but with a lifetime warranty so can't complain.

Both of my motors have been rocking the same bearings for a few years now too... 0 slop and they seem to roll fine but I guess I’ll replace them soooooon...
Geez you guys are lucky lol. In all fairness I run mine like the post man. Rain,shine,sleet or snow.

Geez you guys are lucky lol. In all fairness I run mine like the post man. Rain,shine,sleet or snow.
both my senton and my revo have been under water multiple times. LOL! Albeit, I no longer run during wet conditions that started about 3 months ago. And the traxxas has actually been sank in the ocean!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back