HobbyWing XR8 SCT Pro ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be fine, we're taking only a difference of 10A continuous & 70A peak. Which sensored motor would you be pairing it with?

Yeah the A rating doesn’t seem concerning.

If you visually compare them, there’s a big size difference. Which means there’s surely a lot less heat dissipation in the smaller one so it may overheat slightly sooner. Also note that it has one less capacitor which has to amount for something (i'm just not sure what). I have a truggy which is a lot heavier than a SCT/Buggy and I run a 2250kv motor so I’m concerned that will lead to maybe heat or stress issues.

I currently have a Tekin T8 gen3 motor that is great so far.

Edit: I bet the 3 capacitors on the larger HobbyWing XR8 ESC are for handling 6s voltage spikes since it supports 6s. And the 2 capacitors on the smaller SCT XR8 version are for supporting only 4s voltage spikes. So that's probably not a big deal. I just wonder if I would overheat that small ESC more since it would clearly have a smaller internal heat sink and less space to put heat.

Last edited:
Yeah the A rating doesn’t seem concerning.

If you visually compare them, there’s a big size difference. Which means there’s surely a lot less heat dissipation in the smaller one so it may overheat slightly sooner. Also note that it has one less capacitor which has to amount for something (i'm just not sure what). I have a truggy which is a lot heavier than a SCT/Buggy and I run a 2250kv motor so I’m concerned that will lead to maybe heat or stress issues.

I currently have a Tekin T8 gen3 motor that is great so far.

Edit: I bet the 3 capacitors on the larger HobbyWing XR8 ESC are for handling 6s voltage spikes since it supports 6s. And the 2 capacitors on the smaller SCT XR8 version are for supporting only 4s voltage spikes. So that's probably not a big deal. I just wonder if I would overheat that small ESC more since it would clearly have a smaller internal heat sink and less space to put heat.
Caps are not there for voltage spikes. They are there to prevent voltage sagging. Which is the opposite of a spike.

Caps are not there for voltage spikes. They are there to prevent voltage sagging. Which is the opposite of a spike.
OK, good to know. So having one less capacitor shouldn’t be a big deal since I’m running 4s right? Trying to see if I can get away with running the smaller model with a Truggy.

OK, good to know. So having one less capacitor shouldn’t be a big deal since I’m running 4s right? Trying to see if I can get away with running the smaller model with a Truggy.
No it won't matter. Also I have the same tekin motor in my RC8B3.1E, although mine is hooked to an RX8, which is one esc that proves size doesn't matter ? their's a joke there but I'll leave it be. ? I've even seen a YouTube vid of an RX8 pushing an XMAXX and it didn't even crack a sweet pushing that beast. The Xerun series from Hobbywing is getting seriously good, to the point I want to put a XR8 Plus in my ET48.3 build for the 2020 season?. Instead of gutting my tekin combo from my buggy. We'll see?, I know I'm going to have to get another sensored combo anyways.

No it won't matter. Also I have the same tekin motor in my RC8B3.1E, although mine is hooked to an RX8, which is one esc that proves size doesn't matter ? their's a joke there but I'll leave it be. ? I've even seen a YouTube vid of an RX8 pushing an XMAXX and it didn't even crack a sweet pushing that beast. The Xerun series from Hobbywing is getting seriously good, to the point I want to put a XR8 Plus in my ET48.3 build for the 2020 season?. Instead of gutting my tekin combo from my buggy. We'll see?, I know I'm going to have to get another sensored combo anyways.
But the XR8 in the XMAXX was surely the Hobbywing Xerun XR8 Plus right? Which is the 6s version. I'm wondering if I can use the smaller SCT version of the XR8 which is only 4s rated. I'm trying to fit one in my Tekno ET48.3 and I've heard from people that the Hobbywing Xerun XR8 Plus cannot fit in the ET48.3 because of its size.

On 4s I would say you are perfect just watch your temps for a bit until gearing is figured out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back